Vanishing Letters 8 | WINNER REVEALED (pg. 149) | #TheEnd

Overprotected

Hz3al82.png

HOPE 

Save A Kiss - Save A Kiss is definitely one of the stronger tracks from what is already an extremely strong album. I appreciate songs that evoke a kind of club/nightlife energy but are still earnest and emotional (see: Robyn), so this definitely works for me. 

new - I'm typically a fan of LOONA's material and this is no exception. While I do think there are particular idiosyncrasies in the production here that I'm not 100% sold on, this track was definitely a pleasant listen. 

Landslide - This is one of those rare songs where I often prefer to listen to covers than the original (another example is Hallelujah) just to see how different artists relate to the material. Landslide always makes me emotional, and I actually almost cried when listening to it just now. While hopeful is not necessarily the word that I would use to describe a track like Landslide, I can appreciate this interpretation. 

Unwritten - We love a good nostalgia track. I think the song has held up well enough and is obviously closely related to the theme, so the choice makes logical sense. If I must be honest, Unwritten is not the Beddingfield track I personally have a lot of attachment to though (that honor would go to "These Words"). 

THE REMIX

NIDIA_BLUE LIGHT_123 PM - I don't have the best track record with Kelela tracks, but I quite enjoyed this remix. 

waves (Tame Impala Remix) - Of the 5 waves Remixes, this is actually the one I've used the least, however it's still good. 

Day 'N' Nite (Crookers Remix) - This didn't really do it for me. I don't think the remix added much to the track, and Cudi's voice is kinda annoying here.

Work (Freemasons Radio Edit) - I wasn't impressed with this at the beginning but yeah this is kinda the serve. 

Lonely Weekend - This is cute, not sure if it's necessarily remarkable for an acclaim category, but it's by no means bad. 

Butterfly - Yeah she kinda did that didn't she? 

Forest Gump - I have had a hard time getting into Frank, but this is one of my favorite Frank tracks. 

Oh What A World - Definitely the stronger Kacey track here. 

TEEN ANGST

Get Out (2004) - I feel like this track will benefit a bit from my familiarity with it. It's good. 

Hallucinations - The chorus really carries the track A light serve.  

Complicated - Yes. 

Bags - It's a solid choice. The repetition of "walking out the door with your bags" is borderline annoying but the production really sells me on the track.

CONTROVERSY

Do It - Not bad, but I'm not in love with her voice here

Girlfriend - Yes. 

Lost in the Fire - Abel has done this type of track much better. 

Rehab - Yes.

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Overprotected

• clue

• miguel

• Navyofbadgals

ApwZe5J.png

PART I

HOPE

Spoiler

Jessie Ware - Save A Kiss - Very much so a CPG but I’m actually digging this take on the theme, save a bit of your love for when this **** ends :jimin: good job I think

Loona - New - Um so if the translation on genius is correct I don’t see like a big correlation with the hope theme? That aside, I’m obsessed with this bop, that chorus hits hard yasss

Fleetwood Mac - Landslide - Does it fit the hope theme? I don’t know, I wasn’t paying that much attention to the lyrics or the song at all tbh, it just doesn’t grab me at all, I played it again and I was still very bored

Natasha Bedingfield - Unwritten - Omg this song is so amazing, not only is it the one that fits the theme the most imo but it’s also a mega classic that has aged gracefully

RIHMIX

Spoiler

Kelela - Blue Light (123 BPM) - Wait this is actually pretty nice. Based on the previous critiques I was expecting some pots and pans mess but I really like the beat and percussions added :lemmelistening: 

Miguel - Waves (Tame Impala Remix) - Yup outsold the original :itstru: this is the best of two worlds, you got the Tame Impala’s signature chill psychedelic production and Miguel’s sexy ass vocals :jonny2:

Kid Cudi - Day 'N' Nite (Crookers Remix) - Um no words head empty… the chorus is pretty grating and I got tired of his monotone voice after the first minute, is this supposed to be like a classic or something?

Kelly Rowland - Work Freemasons Radio Edit - Very 00’s and dated but also kinda cute? It’s serving an early Beyoncé leftover. Hmm I don’t know if that chorus is so bad that it’s good or it is just bad 

The rest are coming tomorrow hihi

15 minutes ago, Sanguine said:

OGX Nourishing Coconut Milk Shampoo

:ahh: 

Category 4 

Jojo - Leave (Get Out) - great song, the best here undoubtedly :1stplace:

PVRIS - Hallucinations - it's alright, the production is nice but that's it 

Avril Lavigne - Complicated - it's okay, not bad but it gets boring 

Clairo - Bags - it's quite nice 

Category 5 

Nelly Furtado - Do It - I don't like this song, sorry 

Avril Lavigne - Girlfriend - classic 

Gesaffelstein, The Weeknd - Lost in the Fire - I love this song chile 

Amy Winehouse - Rehab - classic :1stplace:

Edited by Not Like The Movies

4 minutes ago, minho said:

the specific guess

I googled "hair care products" and copy-pasted the first thing I saw

:gaygacat3:

Hope

Spoiler

Jessie Ware - Save A Kiss - thought i wasn't going to like this for sum reason but it's a cute bop :katie2:

Loona - New - big bop :jamming:

Fleetwood Mac - Landslide - talented, brilliant, incredible, etc. possibly one of the best songs ever

Natasha Bedingfield - Unwritten - a bit of a classic ngl :jonny4: the chorus still HITS

Remixes

Spoiler

Kelela - Blue Light (123 BPM) - a cute sing

Miguel - Waves (Tame Impala Remix) - really liked this :jamming:

Kid Cudi - Day 'N' Nite (Crookers Remix) - i think i like the original better but it's a cute remix

Kelly Rowland - Work Freemasons Radio Edit - a gtav classic :katie2:

Acclaimed Albums

Spoiler

Kacey Musgraves - Lonely Weekend - kind of a mid-tier song on that album but all of the album is great so w/e :jamming:

Grimes - Butterfly - one of her best :jonny4: the production on this is top tier

Frank Ocean - Forrest Gump - a great choice :gaygacat4:

Kacey Musgraves - Oh, What A World - her best song me thinks :alexz:

Teen Angst

Spoiler

Jojo - Leave (Get Out) - exactly :katie2:

PVRIS - Hallucinations - this was very nice :jamming: (idk how i've never gotten into their music)

Avril Lavigne - Complicated - a classic :jonny2:

Clairo - Bags - a modern classic :jonny2:

Controversial

Spoiler

Nelly Furtado - Do It - it's no promiscuous or say it right but i liked it :jamming:

Avril Lavigne - Girlfriend - a classic :jonny2:

Gesaffelstein, The Weeknd - Lost in the Fire - this is cute

Amy Winehouse - Rehab - another classic:jonny2:

good luck everyone :heart: this was hard to rank because almost everything was great :jonny2:

:gaygacat6:

nb7z08h.png

I ACCIDENTALLY EDITED THIS POST WELP-

IkUmVC2.png

https://i.imgur.com/JuSc8Ul.png

the final one........... this was such a fun, messy and entertaining season and so much better than i expected :heart: thanks to all the players and the judges for all the kiis

HOPE

Save a Kiss - Didn't like this much at first but it grew on me. Very gorgeous, euphoric and bubbly. A very interesting take on house and disco.

new - ahhh this sophistipop masterpiece :smitten: im jk, but this really is amazing and so fresh, especially in the kpop scene.

Landslide - Very gorgeous, i sent this some years ago in ASC (and won) but frankly i need to be in an appropriate headspace for the deep self loathing that this song requires ... and im not :(

Unwritten - i came in ready to hate but as soon as i hit play the opening chords reminded me of the afternoons i spent singing this with my sisters when i was eight and when the chorus started i just pictured a happy white woman dancing in the street in the rain and laughing... and tears arrived.

REMIX

Kelela - I appreciate the risk... but i dont think this works at all

waves - not different enough from the original to be that exciting, but similar enough that it remains a bop. does that make sense? i like it but v safe

Day n Nite - OH so THIS is the version i heard all the time in 2009. It's messy and dated but........ I can't make it not bop............

Work - Oh....... this is a BANGER and it works perfectly. I don't know the original but this could very well be it. Really great.

ACCLAIM

Lonely Weekend - I remember sending this for ASC in my finale (and won) but frankly it's always been one of the most MEH songs in GH....... and very obviously the lesser one in this round

Butterfly - the production and mixing in this is making me so uncomfortable :deadbanana2:i havent heard this in a while and im trying to figure out if i like it or not

Forrest gump - Again, one of the most middling songs in the respective album..... this feels like it goes nowhere.

Oh......... - Well this is the clear winner of this round for me :sorry:  i think this song really nails everything GH is about - peace, introspection, comfort, love. SO good.

TEEN ANGST

Leave - WHEW this really had everyone in their feelings in the 2000s :deadbanana: graduations weddings funerals... probably not that great of a song but i'll let nostalgia speak higher here

Hallucinations - Very spotify pop'd, too much for the VL finale :sorry: really dont care for it

Complicated - NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO this is THE ONE! Avril really started this angst movement in the 2000s, she's the mother and i love this song.

Bags - Muchhhhhhhh better songs in this album, this feels kinda empty? i know its supposed to be a detached kind of sad but the emotionless delivery isnt doing it for me right now

CONTROVERSY

Do it - YES!!!!!!!! I love this synthline, so glad Timbaland stole it. It's really fun, sexual and it's so carefree and unapologetic that it reminds me of something out of Madonna's debut.

Girlfriend - This was like.... one of the first songs I remember LOVING and being OBSESSED with? and watching the music video on loop like it was a Quentin Tarantino level masterpiece :jonny: still holds up, the melodies are so infectious

Lost in the Fire - really boring

Rehab - this is SO uncomfortable to listen after Amy's passing. it might be ~objectively~ good but i just CANNOT listen to it. I always start the album at track 2. It just triggers something in me omg i cant explain it :rip: 

Once again thank you for a great season and may the best one win :fan:

tumblr_mh74tfJrQs1rdutw3o1_400.gif

ApwZe5J.png

ACCLAIM

Spoiler

Kacey Musgraves - Lonely Weekend - It’s a very cute relatable song, I used to like it more about a year ago but it kinda aged for me. Probably will still rank high because y’all did not deliver for this category…

Grimes - Butterfly - Now y’all know I’m not the biggest Grimes fan, however I want to keep an open mind when judging the final entries, which is why I’m gonna say… the verses are cute!

Frank Ocean - Forrest Gump - This doesn’t serve finale worthy entry tbh like it started out cute, I like the instrumental, but then it went nowhere…

Kacey Musgraves - Oh, What A World - Amazing song :jonny2: puts me in that sad reflective mood in the first 10 seconds. It actually made me want to revisit this album once I’m done with critiques :jimin: 

TEEN ANGST

Spoiler

Jojo - Leave (Get Out) - Nailed the theme and it’s actually a good throwback bop, and I say this as a proud OJH 

PVRIS - Hallucinations - This was a nice listen. Um it’s a bit on the basic side but I still enjoyed it

Avril Lavigne - Complicated - Massive classic and most likely invented teen angst so great job

Clairo - Bags - It grew on me, feels very CMPG (Cheap Minho’s Points Grab) but it actually fits nicely

ESCANDALO

Spoiler

Nelly Furtado - Do It - I’m not gonna lie, when I saw this was being sent I was worried for you a bit, but I had forgotten how big of a bop it is whew

Avril Lavigne - Girlfriend - I don’t even have words to describe this, I just wanna play it again :jonny2: invented punk music... 

Gesaffelstein, The Weeknd - Lost in the Fire - Not the Loft Music sender getting eliminated for you to send another middle of the road The Weeknd song I-

Amy Winehouse - Rehab - Obviously a huge classic but I’m just not obsessed with this one

Overall this was a very good finale, all four of you did what you had to do :clap3:

Oh and one last thing...

Spoiler

In addition to the scores your 5 entries get, we will also take into account your season average which will be valued as a 6th category 

Good luck everyone! :heart2:

nb7z08h.png

CATEGORY 1: HOPE

Spoiler

Jessie Ware - Save A Kiss

yes i have decided that i'm gonna listen to this last and this will be my last VL8 song praises

i've been feeling what's your pleasure a lot this year and this has been a standout for me since it was released

it's just so beautiful and i literally LOVE everything about this song like i can't even describe how much i love it

thank you THANK YOU!!!!!!

Loona - New

ur so brave for sending a kpop song in the finale and i think the risk is lowkey worth it

this song is so good and i love the production but it feels very lowkey in some parts too

much to think about... :razzle: also, i kept waiting for the rap part to come but it never came :cries:

Fleetwood Mac - Landslide

oh i still can't believe the dagny version was sent earlier in the season like damn ma

anyways, this is one of my fave songs of all time. it rlly is so emotional and it can make u cry easily

urgh... the feeling :weeps: its just that everything in this song is just so perfect. the soft production, the vocals, the lyrics boom

Natasha Bedingfield - Unwritten

omg go off a bit i think. i feel like i've heard this before but this is prob my first time listening to it lmao

its such a great song about hope and its so fitting. love, love, love this. wish i could have ranked it higher :wink:

CATEGORY 3: 88

Spoiler

Kacey Musgraves - Lonely Weekend

we love golden hour and we love kacey musgraves :heart: yes i do agree with moki on how this is not rlly one of my faves

despite saying that, its still a LOT better than 2 songs in this category so you will be fine giggles

a self-quarantine anthem :clap:

Grimes - Butterfly

omg i'm feeling very :zach: right now.. like i can remember used to like this when it was released

but listening to it now, its just a bit meh. i feel like it doesn't go anywhere and it's very there

its also kinda annoying toward the end and the production makes me feel very weird

Frank Ocean - Forrest Gump

awww this is actually a very cute song~ its not bad at all.. and i enjoyed it a lot :eek:

i'd prob rank it very high but ur up against 2 kacey songs sobs but thanks for introducing this song to me

nice and cute submission here bestie~

Kacey Musgraves - Oh, What A World

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH a future classic :weeps: i can't tell you how much i love this song

this is a full on fruity's sometimes moment and minho's bags moment right here right now

it just makes me feel something SOOOOO good and i love my yeehaw girl

IkUmVC2.png

awww and thats it for me :'( i had so much fun judging yall this season

see yall next season if i get to judge again.. ily <3 may the best bestie win!

?????

?????

half an hour 

tenor.gif?itemid=10439330

I've arrived at the #VL8FinaleParty.

86ebced0fcdecedc9e964a8febea83de4ce19f15

I'm ALL YOURS!!!! VLooshka yaya

tumblr_pbv83sbsrw1uv89dto1_500.gifv

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.