D/X Anuario 2020

D/X

DX-A20-Header.png?raw=1

Welcome. This is my 5th attempt ever in doing it so (2010, 2011, 2012, and 2015). In order to complete this, I'll be doing a 5-part straightforward version, since nobody reads (and still I'll throw at least a sentence per item listed). 

DX-A20-Schedule.png?raw=1

So hopefully I'll finish. 

Recap

Part 1: B50: 50-41 · Series

Part 2: B50: 40-31· Flicks: 10-6

Part 3: B50: 30-21 · Clips: 10-6

Part 4: B50: 20-11 · Flicks: 5-1

Part 5: B50: 10-1· Clips: 5-1

Edited by D/X

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• D/X

• potent

• Reverse Warholian

• Moonlightbae

DX-A20-H2.png?raw=1

Part 1

Hopefully you'll find something you like. I really hope so, since I know I have a pretty weird taste for ATRL standards.

DX-A20-B50-Header.png?raw=1

50-41

This is the first part.

DX-A20-B50-50.png?raw=1

If anyone is gen-z here, this song really captures y'all generations feelings. And basically what has happened over the last years.

DX-A20-B50-49.png?raw=1

At least y'all gonna have an artist you know for this first set.

DX-A20-B50-48.png?raw=1

They have come a little bit consistent with their released, but haven't matched their debut album/singles, which is weird.

DX-A20-B50-47.png?raw=1

This attempt from Smallpools is good even if they have lost the touch they had. Plus the video is a lazy attempt at doing something in quarantine.

DX-A20-B50-46.png?raw=1

Another band that is not that consistent. This one has a rare 80's/throwback beat that's surprisingly good.

DX-A20-B50-45.png?raw=1

Wallows have definitely been a big surprise for the last years. They are really good. Who knew Clay could do good music? Plus he looks really hot in this video.

DX-A20-B50-44.png?raw=1

It seems that the whole anti-capitalistic ideas have filtered down into indie songs. This is the first one with that kind of pessimist lyrics in this Best Of.

DX-A20-B50-43.png?raw=1

Espero que haya alguien que hable/lea español. Igual ni los conocen, pero fue un buen descubrimiento desde Venezuela (salu2 a los panas).

DX-A20-B50-42.png?raw=1

For all my fellow friends who have uplifting and bright days, just to feel depressed and sad the next morning.

DX-A20-B50-41.png?raw=1

Y'all are gonna see them round and around a lot here. They are definitely an Australian hidden gem and I keep wondering why they aren't bigger, despite ripping-off Oasis, but making a much better version of them.

Text-Friendly Version:

#50. Younger Hunger - "YUNG"

#49. Dua Lipa - "Break My Heart"

#48. Bad Suns - "Baby Blue Shades"

#47. Smallpools ft. morgxn - "Slowdown"

#46. Echosmith - "Shut Up And Kiss Me"

#45. Wallows - "OK"

#44. Mellah - "Family Fun"

#43. Los Mesoneros - "Últimas Palabras"

#42. Elohim - "Good Day Bad Day"

#41. DMA'S - "Round & Around"

DX-A20-S-Header.png?raw=1

I don't watch series but guess COVID-19 made me do it, so here we are. (PD. Sorry, I only have Netflix)

DX-A20-S-03.png?raw=1

Euphoria without all the glitter and dramatic use of drugs, and the first teenage series that ACTUALLY represents gen-z and their struggles in a natural way. I know Netflix has cancelled this, but at least it was good, for most of the part.

DX-A20-S-02.png?raw=1

No surprises here. The Queen's Gambit is a gem and one of the best Netflix has released ever. Cinematography, art direction, editing, performances. Anna Taylor-Joy was flawless here. Who knew chess would bring us to the edge of our seats?

DX-A20-S-01.png?raw=1

This is how you make and end a show. No more than three seasons needed. A masterpiece.

Text-Friendly Version:

#03. Grand Army

#02. The Queen's Gambit

#01. Dark

Edited by D/X

Queen’s Gambit :worship:

Was 49 BMH or DSN? :dies: 

OK is ok lol, but they kinda served with their last album

That still doesn’t really look like Dylan though for some reason :dies:

Oh these graphics are great :smitten::clap3:

Was 49 BMH or DSN? [2] :keir: - Either way, a really great bop from Dua

I wanted to get into Wallows but none of their songs connected with me :katie: Don't really care for Echosmith but ooh, they did an '80s inspired song? Might have to check that out, as well as a few others on here I haven't heard

Was 49 BMH or DSN? [3] Love them both anyways :katie2:

also I really enjoyed The Queen's Gambit

• ATRL Moderator

Was 49 BMH or DSN? [4]

only DSN deserves to chart :cm: 

Your layout :clap3: Echosmith and Dua Lipa :heart2:

The Queen's Gambit and Dark :worship: nice taste both are amazing 

The Queen's Gambit is so good! Ugh the fashion and face SERVES so often throughout. Damn a hot god damn series.

queensgambit-header.jpg

DSN, a massive tune! love to see Echosmith chart :clap3:OK by wallows was cute too

i've heard your top 2 series were really good, i might need to check them out when i'm running low on shows :gaycat3:

Thank you so much for your replies! :smile:

Not y'all dragging me because of my mistakes. Sorry! It was Don't Start Now, but don't worry

Spoiler

21 hours ago, potent said:

Queen’s Gambit :worship:

Was 49 BMH or DSN? :dies: 

OK is ok lol, but they kinda served with their last album

That still doesn’t really look like Dylan though for some reason :dies:

Maybe it's the blue hair? Lol. I'm not a fan of all of their singles, but they have been serving consistently.

8 hours ago, Remmy said:

Oh these graphics are great :smitten::clap3:

Was 49 BMH or DSN? [2] :keir: - Either way, a really great bop from Dua

I wanted to get into Wallows but none of their songs connected with me :katie: Don't really care for Echosmith but ooh, they did an '80s inspired song? Might have to check that out, as well as a few others on here I haven't heard

Thank you! :) I do get you not getting into Wallows. They have some weak singles. 

7 hours ago, Moonlightbae said:

Was 49 BMH or DSN? [3] Love them both anyways :katie2:

also I really enjoyed The Queen's Gambit

DSN! 

4 hours ago, Legend E said:

Was 49 BMH or DSN? [4]

only DSN deserves to chart :cm: 

And I oop. I guess I have a surprise for you this set :cm:

3 hours ago, Ghostlysnaker said:

Your layout :clap3: Echosmith and Dua Lipa :heart2:

The Queen's Gambit and Dark :worship: nice taste both are amazing 

Thanks! Dark and Queen's Gambit were definitely masterpieces!

2 hours ago, Reinvention said:

The Queen's Gambit is so good! Ugh the fashion and face SERVES so often throughout. Damn a hot god damn series.

I know... the art direction, the hairstyling and dresses are beautiful.

24 minutes ago, kiiwii said:

DSN, a massive tune! love to see Echosmith chart :clap3:OK by wallows was cute too

i've heard your top 2 series were really good, i might need to check them out when i'm running low on shows :gaycat3:

You really need to check them out! Queen's Gambit is a miniseries so it's ok. Dark is a little bit more heavier, and if you are into complex sci fi things, you are really gonna like it. 

DX-A20-H2.png?raw=1

Part 2

40-31

Welp, it's seems I couldn't even write properly my own list. Sorry! I deserve the lashings. But don't worry, since we have BMH in this set... or will it be DSN?

DX-A20-B50-40.png?raw=1

This was a big surprise. They really needed to change their style and this suits them well, while sounding fresh (even if Bradley still looks like a kid).

DX-A20-B50-39.png?raw=1

Royal Blood's return is full of energizing riffs and a little bit of evolution from what they've been doing.

DX-A20-B50-38.png?raw=1

This was a good discovery: slow and haunting lyrics indie song.

DX-A20-B50-37.png?raw=1

#37. Dua Lipa - "Break My Heart"

DX-A20-B50-36.png?raw=1

The Marías have been the gift that keeps on giving, and they have redefined (or actually defined) what sensuality is.

DX-A20-B50-35.png?raw=1

COIN have went through a roller coaster of singles, but Sort It Out is definitely a career stand out that encapsulates what indie/alternative music is now.

DX-A20-B50-34.png?raw=1

I'm not proud of this song, since I really thought they were massacring Dido's masterpiece. But it's a bop.

DX-A20-B50-33.png?raw=1

Yes, this is a song about CVS, and they really exploited the whole idea in their video. And that's how I found out that Matthew Koma was married to Hilary Duff.

DX-A20-B50-32.png?raw=1

This is an uplifting song for this dark times, that really makes you wanna be dancing in an empty (safe) fair.

DX-A20-B50-31.png?raw=1

Second appearance from DMA'S. And this song was their attempt at making something more "radio pop" sellout. While good, they deserved the lashings they got from fans.

Text-Friendly Version:

#40. The Vamps - "Married In Vegas"

#39. Royal Blood - "Trouble's Coming"

#38. Franc Moody - "Flesh And Blood"

#37. Dua Lipa - "Break My Heart"

#36. The Marías - "Care For You"

#35. COIN - "Sort It Out"

#34. Yves V & Ilkay Sencan ft. Emie - "Not So Bad"

#33. Winnetka Bowling League - "CVS"

#32. Sylvan Esso - "Ferris Wheel"

#31. DMA'S - "Criminals"

DX-A20-F-Header.png?raw=1

10-6

This year was kinda bad for movies, in every single sense. But still I managed to rank the (very few) movies I watched and that, being honest, they are not as groundbreaking/great as past years...

DX-A20-F-10.png?raw=1

MANK is beautifully made, great gowns, beautiful gowns... but it's kinda difficult to get into the story, especially if you are like me, an uncultured swine who knows nothing about Hollywood's beginnings. Nonetheless, the second act clears everything up and has a great ending.

DX-A20-F-09.png?raw=1

Is this movie great? No, it's not. Is this movie the garbage critics are saying? I would say it isn't as well. I have a guess about why they buried this movie to the pits of hell... which makes them exactly the same thing they criticize. Anyways, Glenn was AMAZING in this.

DX-A20-F-08.png?raw=1

Thrilling, funny and even emotional, Spike Lee made a big improvement from BlakKklansman with Da 5 Bloods, plus Delroy Lindo is at his best, thanks to his performance and how well was written his character.

DX-A20-F-07.png?raw=1

I'm surprised at how high this film is in my personal ranking. And yes, I wanted the whole box to cover Emma Watson's face, just as I wanted to cover her performance in this movie.

DX-A20-F-06.png?raw=1

Another unpopular opinion here, and let me tell you I dragged the movie even before I watched it, but it was a pleasant surprise. They managed to do something without the music and Mushu, which is an achievement.

Text-Friendly Version:

#10. MANK

#09. Hillbilly Elegy

#08. Da 5 Bloods

#07. Little Women

#06. Mulan

Edited by D/X

Trouble's Coming + CVS + Baby Blue Shades :worship:

A few here that I should listen to. Married in Vegas was cute. BMH is a bop of course

I kinda liked Hillbilly Elegy :dies: don't necessarily agree with the overall message of it but it's an interesting story and I think they told it pretty well.

Little Women  :heart:

I need to watch MANK, Da 5 Bloods and Hillbilly Elegy (I don't care what critics say, I'll judge the movie by myself)

-----------------------------------------

Break My Heart  :jamming: 

Break My Heart :katie2:

I didn't watch any movie this year :skull: maybe I'll check those out

• ATRL Moderator

And I oop. I guess I have a surprise for you this set :cm:

:clown: 

da 5 bloods was actually the only film i've seen chadwick in and he was amazing. quite sad how it was also his last film given his character. may he rest in peace though :weeps: 

little women was also flawless. give saoirse her oscar already!

Thank you so much for your replies and stay safe this new year 2021! :smile:

Spoiler

On 12/31/2020 at 1:45 AM, potent said:

A few here that I should listen to. Married in Vegas was cute. BMH is a bop of course

I kinda liked Hillbilly Elegy :dies: don't necessarily agree with the overall message of it but it's an interesting story and I think they told it pretty well.

I guess that now people could be ashamed of accepting they liked the movies cause the way they dragged it :laugh:

14 hours ago, Green said:

Little Women  :heart:

I need to watch MANK, Da 5 Bloods and Hillbilly Elegy (I don't care what critics say, I'll judge the movie by myself)

-----------------------------------------

Break My Heart  :jamming: 

From my side, I recommend it, and definitely you should judge it by yourself!

10 hours ago, Moonlightbae said:

Break My Heart :katie2:

I didn't watch any movie this year :skull: maybe I'll check those out

If you have Netflix, all of them (except Mulan of course) are there. Thankfully we've got now streaming.

1 hour ago, Legend E said:

:clown: 

da 5 bloods was actually the only film i've seen chadwick in and he was amazing. quite sad how it was also his last film given his character. may he rest in peace though :weeps: 

little women was also flawless. give saoirse her oscar already!

I liked him more in Ma Rainey's Black Bottom. He was superb there, he was so talented. :(

And yes, I think Saoirse has better performances but she's definitely one of the best from her generation.

DX-A20-H2.png?raw=1

Part 3

30-21

Halfway through.

DX-A20-B50-30.png?raw=1

Another good and random discovery, with a catchy feel-good tune.

DX-A20-B50-29.png?raw=1

I don't listen to EDM that much nowadays, but this blew me away. I know this ain't psychedelic but the beats really take me to another place.

DX-A20-B50-28.png?raw=1

Selena has been a hit or miss since she went solo. This was a nice "hit" from her, but still far from Bad Liar.

DX-A20-B50-27.png?raw=1

Gaga was perhaps one of the biggest surprises for me this year. 911 really blew me away in unexpected ways. I really felt as if I was listening/watching something from her beginnings.

DX-A20-B50-26.png?raw=1

Second appearance from The Marías, and still keeping up with sensuality and mixing it with darkness. The bopping beat is infectious.

DX-A20-B50-25.png?raw=1

Second appearance from Younger Hunger, and truly a breakthrough act that (once again) capture perfectly gen-Z sentiments.

DX-A20-B50-24.png?raw=1

This is the very first tune from Sufjan that I add to my playlists. And I was shocked at how much I replayed it. The allegory between addiction to sugar/sweetness and the whole album theme (called The Ascension), and the christian topics, he's really good at writing.

DX-A20-B50-23.png?raw=1

Apparently this song was popular over TikTok, and I'm not surprised since it's very catchy and repetitive (and relatable).

DX-A20-B50-22.png?raw=1

Yet again, another surprise this time from Lewis Del Mar. I loved the whole vibe, and sounded perfect for the summer.

DX-A20-B50-21.png?raw=1

Third appearance (in a row) from DMA'S. The acapella version of this song just shows how talented their vocalist is.

Text-Friendly Version:

#30. Sfven - "Flowerbeds"

#29. Elderbrook - "Why Do We Shake In The Cold?"

#28. Selena Gomez - "Rare"

#27. Lady Gaga - "911"

#26. The Marías - "Bop It Up!"

#25. Younger Hunger - "Pray 4 U"

#24. Sufjan Stevens - "Sugar"

#23. Royal And The Serpent - "Overwhelmed"

#22. Lewis Del Mar - "The Ceiling"

#21. DMA'S - "The Glow"

DX-A20-C-Header.png?raw=1

10-6

Contrary to movies, this year was actually really good for music videos. Here is the first part of what I considered the best.

DX-A20-C-10.png?raw=1

The camerawork and editing in this video is very creative. All encompassed with how trippy the whole concept is.

DX-A20-C-09.png?raw=1

Joywave have been releasing pretty funny but extremely genius videos. A YouTube ad as a music videos is a top concept.

DX-A20-C-08.png?raw=1

No surprises that FKA Twigs is here, here videos always slay. The direction, VFX and performances are really good.

DX-A20-C-07.png?raw=1

Credit where credit is due: Taylor used the concept from her song to deliver a very good video (and eery transformation to be "The Man").

DX-A20-C-06.png?raw=1

And finally, another no-surprises moment here, Dua was the queen of pop music videos this year. But my personal favorite was definitely this one: the transitions and direction were beyond genius.

Text-Friendly Version:

#10. Slowthai ft. James Blake, Mount Kimbie - "Feel Away"

#09. Joywave - "Half Your Age"

#08. FKA Twigs - "Sad Day"

#07. Taylor Swift - "The Man"

#06. Dua Lipa - "Break My Heart"

Overwhelmed + The Ceiling + 911 :clap3:

Those graphics deserve an OSCAR. I haven't even bothered to evaluate the tracks on your list yet because it's aesthetically just too pleasing :jonny:

Edited by ReverseWarholian

22 minutes ago, D/X said:

Text-Friendly Version:

#30. Sfven - "Flowerbeds"

#29. Elderbrook - "Why Do We Shake In The Cold?"

#27. Lady Gaga - "911"

#26. The Marías - "Bop It Up!"

#25. Younger Hunger - "Pray 4 U"

#24. Sufjan Stevens - "Sugar"

#23. Royal And The Serpent - "Overwhelmed"

#22. Lewis Del Mar - "The Ceiling"

#21. DMA'S - "The Glow"

Great choices :clap3:

Love that you're a semi-alternative girl like me. I removed the weakest link for you btw :fan:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.