D/X Anuario 2020

D/X

On 12/31/2020 at 2:32 AM, D/X said:

DX-A20-F-07.png?raw=1

I'm surprised at how high this film is in my personal ranking. And yes, I wanted the whole box to cover Emma Watson's face, just as I wanted to cover her performance in this movie.

:ahh:

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• D/X

• potent

• Reverse Warholian

• Remmy

Part 1: Don't Start Now :heart:

Part 2: Break My Heart :worship2:

Part 3: Rare And 911 :D

Part 4 

Sorry for not coming, now i'm here :cool:

OK, Don't Start Now and Married in Vegas :clap3:

The Man, 911 and Rare :eek:  the are awesome :clap3:

According to movies/series: I'd watch Mulan, I got disney+ :party:

Overwhelmed :worship: one of the first times I've seen this song in another countdown, it deserves more appreciation

BMH appearing in the videos is great, I had kinda forgotten FKA Twigs released that video in 2020 :dies:

Sad Day, The Man and Break My Heart videos are amazing :clap3:

Songs~ Sort It Out + Rare :eddie: Oh there's BMH :clap3: Even though I think it could've switched places with DSN :gaycat3: 911 yup yup absolutely :sats: || Movies~ Mulan being this high is a bit offensive! I thought there were a tooon of problems with it. Really enjoyed Little Women, which was my #1 film of the year (mainly due to lack of competition.) The Emma Watson shade :oh: || Videos~ The Man + Break My Heart are both great selections :date:

Happy new year! :foxaylove:

Thank you so much for your replies! :smile:

Spoiler

@JGibson, @M A R N ✮, @Moonlightbae

20 hours ago, ReverseWarholian said:

Those graphics deserve an OSCAR. I haven't even bothered to evaluate the tracks on your list yet because it's aesthetically just too pleasing :jonny:

Thank you so much!

20 hours ago, ReverseWarholian said:

Great choices :clap3:

Love that you're a semi-alternative girl like me. I removed the weakest link for you btw :fan:

I always say that I like pop music and consider all these songs/artists pop, lol. It just makes things easier.

The Selena shade. :fan: Not gonna lie, she deserves it. Don't wanna hear her try to howl that live.

10 hours ago, Jorge said:

Sorry for not coming, now i'm here :cool:

OK, Don't Start Now and Married in Vegas :clap3:

The Man, 911 and Rare :eek:  the are awesome :clap3:

According to movies/series: I'd watch Mulan, I got disney+ :party:

Don't worry! Thanks! You should check out Mulan.

8 hours ago, potent said:

Overwhelmed :worship: one of the first times I've seen this song in another countdown, it deserves more appreciation

BMH appearing in the videos is great, I had kinda forgotten FKA Twigs released that video in 2020 :dies:

I've seen it over another BO list but can't remember exactly from whom was it...

7 hours ago, Remmy said:

Songs~ Sort It Out + Rare :eddie: Oh there's BMH :clap3: Even though I think it could've switched places with DSN :gaycat3: 911 yup yup absolutely :sats: || Movies~ Mulan being this high is a bit offensive! I thought there were a tooon of problems with it. Really enjoyed Little Women, which was my #1 film of the year (mainly due to lack of competition.) The Emma Watson shade :oh: || Videos~ The Man + Break My Heart are both great selections :date:

Happy new year! :foxaylove:

I know the whole background about Mulan is very messy... I guess they got what they deserved when it bombed at the box office (especially over China) and specially for the protagonist's remarks about Hong Kong. But can't deny that I liked the movie :(

Happy new year!

Edited by D/X

DX-A20-H2.png?raw=1

Part 4

DX-A20-B50-Header.png?raw=1

20-11

Closer to the end...

DX-A20-B50-20.png?raw=1

This has to be one of the most feel-good songs from the year. It was like a bright light that (strangely) sparked me so much joy. You should check out this song.

DX-A20-B50-19.png?raw=1

Circa Waves surprised me with this one. I love the pessimistic/realistic lyrics, intertwined with the whole hopeless sentiment about our reality.

DX-A20-B50-18.png?raw=1

Although I don't like (the personalities from both) Billie and Finneas, I can't deny they are really talented. This song proves it. It's very haunting and captures perfectly that teenage feeling about despair.

DX-A20-B50-17.png?raw=1

Years after her rumored solo career were around, she finally made it and actually delivered... even if I'm being honest, I prefer Paramore. Gotta give a special mention to the lyrics:  powerful and perfectly relatable to my anger issues.

DX-A20-B50-16.png?raw=1

Ugh San Cisco delivering another bop, and one of their best, I fear. The Fred Astaire reference in the video is nostalgic.

DX-A20-B50-15.png?raw=1

Declan has truly been delivering TALENT with his last release. Yet again, the whole anti-capitalistic ideology comes together in this song, with a very funny and smart video featuring his doppelganger, Alex Lawther.

DX-A20-B50-14.png?raw=1

I don't know if this song could be properly considered "rock", but I was banging my head in July to this track.

DX-A20-B50-13.png?raw=1

This song deserves to be a smash. The whole retro/disco vibes are AMAZING. A bop I think y'all should give a listen.

DX-A20-B50-12.png?raw=1

Foster The People have went from hitting the bar low like 2-3 years ago to return with this GEM that reminded me of Torches and Mark's talent.

DX-A20-B50-11.png?raw=1

Fourth and final appearance (in a row) from DMA'S. This band has specialized into reviving/ripping-off the whole 90's Oasis-esque sound, but with this song they kinda reinvented themselves while keeping the same nostalgic vibes. One of their most powerful songs.

Text-Friendly Version:

#20. mxmtoon - "Fever Dream"

#19. Circa Waves ft. Alfie Templeman - "Lemonade"

#18. Billie Eilish - "Everything I Wanted"

#17. Hayley Williams - "Simmer"

#16. San Cisco - "Reasons"

#15. Declan McKenna - "The Key To Life On Earth"

#14. Betcha - "July"

#13. Cannons - "Fire For You"

#12. Foster The People - "Lamb's Wool"

#11. DMA'S - "Life Is A Game Of Changing"

Edited by D/X

DX-A20-F-Header.png?raw=1

5-1

Second and final part for the best flicks of 2020. Pixar, as usual, saving a lackluster year.

DX-A20-F-05.png?raw=1

I love this kind of films: tricky, with plot twists (even if there were tons of hints to get it from the first act). The cinematography, art direction, editing and performances (ugh Toni was SUPERB as usual) were extraordinary. But the whole Oklahoma! references were too much.

DX-A20-F-04.png?raw=1

I know this movie is from 2019, but it never got to my country so I had to watch it somehow. :keir:

Anyone experiencing something similar or having a loved one going through cancer would probably get as emotional as I did watching The Farewell. 

DX-A20-F-03.png?raw=1

I'm not gonna deny that this is not Pixar's best and it might be one of the weakest. But still it was way above many films this year. The plot was a little bit formulaic, but it still managed to bring tears to my eyes, and the message was lovely.

DX-A20-F-02.png?raw=1

On the other hand, this was top-notch Pixar: I was crying over the first minutes just seeing how beautiful the first sequences were... until the second act, when everything started to be predictable and formulaic, even more than Onward. It is still a high concept that no other studio could deliver something like Soul.

DX-A20-F-01.png?raw=1

I don't like World War movies, as they are usually the same plot and exploits over and over again. So this take from Taika was genius. Comedy is an effective way to destroy and ridicule a figure like Hitler and the nazis.

Text-Friendly Version:

#05. I'm Thinking Of Ending Things

#04. The Farewell

#03. Onward

#02. Soul

#01. Jojo Rabbit

• ATRL Moderator

everything i wanted + simmer :heart: 

onward was great! need to watch soul and jojo rabbit!

Such an alt update I really like EIW, Key to Life, Simmer, and Fire for You (I just discovered this one recently)

Lamb's Wool is a good one, but honestly I always manage to like FTP's stuff even when it's really irrelevant :dies:

I tried Lemonade, but it doesn't really do it for me, it's okay though

Fire For You + Simmer + everything i wanted :heart2:

everything i wanted + Lamb's Wool are good :smile: But wait, did you not like Sacred Hearts Club? I think that's their best album. I have Declan on my list of artists to check out, pretty sure I've heard a few seconds of TKTLOE before but don't remember it at all. Simmer :smitten: Yeah I prefer Paramore as well (so far), PFA was still a very solid debut though. || Ooh I've seen your whole top 4 :alexz3: The Farewell was cute, although it didn't fully connect with me. Onward was a good time, agree with all your thoughts (except it didn't make me cry if I remember correctly.) Ended my 2020 with Soul and it was great, gonna watch it again real soon :heart: JoJo Rabbit yesss :clap3: Amazing #1 choice, I'm dying to watch it with one of my friends because I know they'd enjoy it but they're flops.

Hayley + Cannons + FTP :party:

Legit wondering if you're a graphic designer irl?

Edited by ReverseWarholian

Thank you so much for your replies! :smile:

Spoiler

@JGibson, @Moonlightbae

On 1/2/2021 at 1:58 AM, Legend E said:

everything i wanted + simmer :heart: 

onward was great! need to watch soul and jojo rabbit!

You really need to check out Soul and Jojo Rabbit! They are very cute. :)

On 1/2/2021 at 2:10 AM, potent said:

Such an alt update I really like EIW, Key to Life, Simmer, and Fire for You (I just discovered this one recently)

Lamb's Wool is a good one, but honestly I always manage to like FTP's stuff even when it's really irrelevant :dies:

I tried Lemonade, but it doesn't really do it for me, it's okay though

They've been releasing singles constantly but not consistently, you know? 

Yeah, I get that sometimes you really try to get into a certain song but it doesn't really hits you as you'd hoped. 

14 hours ago, Remmy said:

everything i wanted + Lamb's Wool are good :smile: But wait, did you not like Sacred Hearts Club? I think that's their best album. I have Declan on my list of artists to check out, pretty sure I've heard a few seconds of TKTLOE before but don't remember it at all. Simmer :smitten: Yeah I prefer Paramore as well (so far), PFA was still a very solid debut though. || Ooh I've seen your whole top 4 :alexz3: The Farewell was cute, although it didn't fully connect with me. Onward was a good time, agree with all your thoughts (except it didn't make me cry if I remember correctly.) Ended my 2020 with Soul and it was great, gonna watch it again real soon :heart: JoJo Rabbit yesss :clap3: Amazing #1 choice, I'm dying to watch it with one of my friends because I know they'd enjoy it but they're flops.

I had a hard time to get into everything they released after Supermodel (III and SHC to be specific). They really wanted to do something "experimental" but for me they were their weakest singles so far... doesn't mean I didn't like them, but they stood far away from what they had done in Torches. Up until when they released Worst Nites, things started to get a lot better... their 2019 singles were really good. 

Glad you've seen the top 4! Oh yeah, I'm a cry baby even for the most ridiculous moments lol. And yes, Jojo Rabbit was amazing! Hope you can see it with your friends!

12 hours ago, ReverseWarholian said:

Hayley + Cannons + FTP :party:

Legit wondering if you're a graphic designer irl?

I'm not a graphic designer per se, nor by degree nor by job title,  but I'm in the design field and I've always been a graphic design enthusiast.

Edited by D/X

DX-A20-H2.png?raw=1

Part 5

Well, we reached the end. Thank you so much!

DX-A20-B50-Header.png?raw=1

10-1

I'm afraid some of y'all are not gonna know most of these songs/artists... but don't hesitate to say it out loud and write in the comment box. No Dua or Gaga are gonna save me this time. Notice how many songs have the word "lost" in their title... I guess that captures the feeling of this weird (past) year.

DX-A20-B50-10.png?raw=1

After a long, long waiting, Purity Ring returned with a masterpiece. For sure it's not as "dark" as their previous material, but for sure it's one of their best.

DX-A20-B50-09.png?raw=1

A great discovery (although they have a career behind) with haunting and beautiful sounds, that really stayed in my mind for months.

DX-A20-B50-08.png?raw=1

As I previously stated, Wallows have been surprising me, and although having weak and strong singles, this is definitely one of the latter.

DX-A20-B50-07.png?raw=1

I've known Hinds for years but I couldn't get into their "unique" sound and style, even finding it kinda annoying... until they released this one. 

DX-A20-B50-06.png?raw=1

I'm Lost perfectly captured this feeling, both on its very simple lyrics and its dizzy and experimental production, of these strange times.

DX-A20-B50-05.png?raw=1

Kawala really slid into 2020's last weeks to bring a very catchy and feel-good tune that has imprinted their very unique sound.

DX-A20-B50-04.png?raw=1

The amount of artistry Kevin delivered with this song is tremendous. They won Lyric Of The Year: "eventually terrible memories turn into great ones". Parker defining and destroying the concept of nostalgia in a song (especially for us millennials).

DX-A20-B50-03.png?raw=1

The Marías this year astonished me with their ever evolving, unique and sensual style. Hold It Together is a sexy, mysterious, catchy song that stayed on replayed for months.

DX-A20-B50-02.png?raw=1

Now, hear me out: you NEED to listen to this. The amount of talent this girl has is amusing. Being a lyricist for most of her career, she blew me away with this 90's reminiscent, R&B infused style that is hard to miss.

DX-A20-B50-01.png?raw=1

Younger Hunger were my personal breakthrough artist of the year. I watched their weird but funny Instagram lives and videos, and the fact that they are so connected with their followers felt different. But aside from that, Second Best is just truly the kind of song that I love and live for, felt like an instant classic for me, the kind of tunes that define your whole year, and that was it. We started this countdown with them, and we are closing it the same way.

Text-Friendly Version:

#10. Purity Ring - "Stardew"

#09. Other Lives - "Lost Day"

#08. Wallows - "Remember When"

#07. Hinds - "Good Bad Times"

#06. Elohim - "I'm Lost"

#05. Kawala - "Pure Desire"

#04. Tame Impala - "Lost In Yesterday"

#03. The Marías - "Hold It Together"

#02. HARLOE - "One More Chance"

#01. Younger Hunger - "Second Best"

Edited by D/X

DX-A20-C-Header.png?raw=1

5-1

Final update for Clips (and for this Best of).

DX-A20-C-05.png?raw=1

The whole concept behind this video is WAY too elaborate... the editing, the cinematography and the VFX are outstanding. No wonder why it is a Grammy nominee.

DX-A20-C-04.png?raw=1

The cinematography and direction in this one are INSANE. Literally insane. And the way it was encompassed to the song... very mindblowing.

DX-A20-C-03.png?raw=1

This one took the song to another level. The video is a beautiful art piece: the choreography and the underlying concept of the song taken this way was perfect.

DX-A20-C-02.png?raw=1

When I said that 911 took me back to Gaga's beginnings, it was not only because of the song. I kid you not that I became OBSESSED with this video, replaying it time after time. Of course some improvements could be done, like that messy last scene (where she's crying), and it would've been better if they got rid of the last sequence (the "revelation"), as it spoils everything about the concept. They say that a true artwork needs no explanation. But still, this was top-notch.

DX-A20-C-01.png?raw=1

Well, we got double Tame Impala. If the song was already a masterpiece by itself, its pairing music video took it to another level. I hate myself for repeating the "concept" thing for each video, but they really took the best line from the song into a visual representation of what it meant. Nostalgia truly distorts our memories, and this video reproduced that phenomenon perfectly.

Text-Friendly Version:

#05. Woodkid - "Goliath"

#04. Elderbrook - "Why Do We Shake In The Cold?"

#03. Sufjan Stevens - "Sugar"

#02. Lady Gaga - "911"

#01. Tame Impala - "Lost in Yesterday"

Lost In Yesterday + 911 in clips :clap3:

Lost In Yesterday :jamming:

God11, Stardew, Lost in Yesterday :heart:

911 is a cute bop :cm:

Love your taste in film tho, Pixar dominating :katie2: Jojo Rabbit was beautiful indeed! :alexz:

• ATRL Moderator

You really need to check out Soul and Jojo Rabbit! They are very cute. :)

Will try to do it once I have a bit more time :) 

I had no idea Purity Ring released this year :skull: omg harloe here yasss :WAP: 

911 :clap3: 

Break My Heart + Sort It Out :jamming: it's been nice seeing COIN making appearances on people's lists 

fever dream in your top 20 :jonny: you're not wrong about it being a feel-good song. also love everything i wanted :chick3:

idk how i came across 'life is a game of changing', but i see other songs of theirs also made your list, so i should check their stuff out. :gaycat3:

stardew + lost in yesterday :clap3: your taste in music looks really interesting. i'll be coming back to your list when i have time to listen to stuff :heart2:

I was avoiding Tame Impala this era (for some reason?) but Is It True came on the radio days ago and it really caught my attention so I might have to get into the album :lakitu: Also took a peek at some other tracks (including Lost In Yesterday) and they seemed good. Let me check out some of the other songs on this list because I don't know anything else. || 911's video being this high, well deserved :clap3: I agree the crying scene could've been better, but if the last sequence was scrapped then I would've probably ended up hating the video. :keir:

Despite being so short, this was a nice Best Of! :foxaylove:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.