MusicTalker's Top 20 PT4: Rain On My Levitating Depression!

Just a Gay on ATRL

Knowing my history with these of always burning out midway through, I will no longer be doing 100 top songs. :rip: And tbh I didn't have enough time to enjoy 100 new songs during 2020.

I'll be doing a Top 20 list and start revealing the results on Christmas! Who do you expect to see?

Idk what to except but I hope to see taste :gaycat1:

@TalkThatRihanna @Insanity @Mark Rih @Remmy @Brandon

20 Lady Gaga - Alice

81Le2R1yAgL._SL1400_.jpg

Chromatica has some of my favorite Gaga songs ever. I absolutely loved ASIB, but I am glad Gaga did not stay in that direction and went full on over-the-top bass booming pop star again. Alice is everything I fantasized Chromatica to be pre-release. What an intro!

19 Megan Thee Stallion - Body

811YrCFlVgL._SS500_.jpg

The first time I heard that first drop on headphones recently, I just about dropped to the floor. The chorus is NOT annoying in the slightest - I think it's about time someone big capitalized on the "body ody ody ody" phrase *cues to Drag Race*. This is insanely replayable - Megan's best song to date, easily.

18 The Weeknd - Too Late

The Weeknd - After Hours [Edited] - Amazon.com Music

When I listen to The Weeknd, I want to be depressed and sorrowful, and I'm about to leave a good review on Uber Eats because he DELIVERED! This reminds me of something that would've been on Beauty Behind the Madness. It's nothing particularly new for The Weeknd, but it's also the best version of what I would've expected from this album. There's plenty of new sides to Abel on the album (this is not his last appearance)

17 Miley Cyrus - Angels Like You

51hHK+d0uYL._SY780_.jpg

This is Miley's best ballad to date, exclamation! I need this to be a single during 2021.  It reminds me of the rock pop power ballads of my childhood while still being fresh and timeless. I love the lyrics about feeling like someone is too good for you and you need to sort yourself out before embracing someone else.

16 RAYE - Natalie Don't

71Q4MWCjfaL._SS500_.jpg

One thing to know about my music taste in 2020 is that if RAYE releases, I listen. She is nearly perfect in her music discography so far and 2020 made no exceptions. She is criminally underrated. Natalie Don't is a piece of "crying on the dancefloor" euphoria that would've been a #1 if handed to someone like Rihanna or Ariana. 

Alice, Angels Like You :clap3:

Too Late isn't among my faves but its good

Too Late :clap3:

Too Late :jamming: Natalie Don't is great, wish I got into it earlier. Alice is a really great intro indeed :clap3: Angels Like You :worship: I'm totally convinced that this could be a massive smash if it's released as a single and her team plays their cards right.

Alice, Too Late, Angels Like You, and Natalie Dont :WAP:

Ah such a great set, ready for more taste to come through :flame:

Body, Too Late & Natalie Don't made it into the list  :clap3:

On 12/26/2020 at 6:51 AM, MusicTalker said:

17 Miley Cyrus - Angels Like You

51hHK+d0uYL._SY780_.jpg

This is Miley's best ballad to date, exclamation! I need this to be a single during 2021.  It reminds me of the rock pop power ballads of my childhood while still being fresh and timeless. I love the lyrics about feeling like someone is too good for you and you need to sort yourself out before embracing someone else.

Ugh Angels Like You really is Miley's best ballad i agree. It also reminds me of those 80s rock bad big ballad but miles better of course :clap3:

@TalkThatRihanna @Insanity @Mark Rih @Remmy @Brandon @Sunderland 4ever @Mr. Blue_Shirt

15 The Weeknd - Save Your Tears

The Weeknd - After Hours [Edited] - Amazon.com Music

Hopefully this takes off after the Super Bowl and he slips this gem into the set. It feels like a ballad even though it's a pulsing midtempo pop song that you can dance to as well. The Weeknd sounds divine as usual and I love the laid back vocal quality to it. He is male popstar to beat nowadays and SYT makes no exception to this fact.

14 Chloe x Halle - Forgive Me

Chloe x Halle - Ungodly Hour by Audio Galaxy on SoundCloud - Hear the  world's sounds

This song by far the standout on their new album for me. The last 30 seconds are one of the best moments in any song released during 2020 with the operatic background vocals. The song is very dramatic and a great mix of pop & R&B sensibilities. The girls different vocals really shine on specific sections of the song. The blend! I hope they make more songs like this in the future. Do It should've been a bigger hit too, but that's another discussion.

13 Miley Cyrus - Midnight Sky

51hHK d0uYL._SY780_.jpg

What a comeback - not only to top form, but to exceed anything else she has ever done before. Miley really evolved in 2020 and I am living for it. Jon Bellion also co-wrote this, which I appreciate as a fan of his 2016 album. This is a modern take on 80's pop-rock and the result is mesmerizing. This should've been a lot bigger but maybe it was too ahead of its time for some people.

12 Regards & RAYE - Secrets

Secrets (Regard and Raye song) - Wikipedia

RAYE on a house song with Regards was always going to be right up my alley! There was literally no way I would not like this. My love for the song went up exponentially when she performed an acoustic version of it in a garden on a piano and the performance is absolutely fantastic. However, my love for the original version didn't go down whatsoever. The beat follows the example of Regards viral Tik Tok predecessor "Ride It" but adds a somber tone and more persona lyrics to the mix. If you like RAYE's previous entry on my list, Natalie Don't, you will LIVE for this.

11 Ariana Grande & The Weeknd - off the table

Ariana Grande: Positions Album Review | Pitchfork

This was NOT what I expected when I heard that these 2 were collaborating 6 years after Love Me Harder, but I love that it switched on us and they released a sweeping, slower ballad instead. The strings are one thing that makes this amazing and feel like the climax of a romantic drama, but the vocals take it to another level. Ariana BELTS some of the best vocals I've ever heard from her, and The Weeknd shows some restraint to counter her, but his voice sounds like velvet, especially when they harmonize. I am obsessed and hope we get a performance someday.

Midnight Sky, Forgive Me, Save Your Tears and I just realized the half time show is a great way for him to perform another song on AH to turn into a hit. 

Off The Table, Midnight Sky, & Save Your Tears :WAP:

Your taste >>>

Btw I don’t think Max Martin worked on Midnight Sky

56 minutes ago, TalkThatRihanna said:

Off The Table, Midnight Sky, & Save Your Tears :WAP:

Your taste >>>

Btw I don’t think Max Martin worked on Midnight Sky

Oh **** thank you, Max Martin did NOT. wtf I swore he did, but editing my description now lmao

Midnight Sky :clap3:

off the table doesn't do it for me :matty: I thought most listeners didn't enjoy that one so it's interesting to see it getting more appreciation recently. Secrets might be my favorite from RAYE's EP, a nice bop :jamming: Save Your Tears is cute. Forgive Me mmm :gaycat2: Midnight Sky absolute excellence yep yep :alexz:

@TalkThatRihanna @Insanity @Mark Rih @Remmy @Brandon @Sunderland 4ever @Mr. Blue_Shirt @Ava Max

10 Dua Lipa & Angèle - Fever

Dua Lipa standing in a black outfit with her hair tied up next to Angèle who poses with her hands above her head and wears a black dress with red moons and her hair in a ponytail. They stand on a red background, with Lipa's name written in red vertically on the left, and the title "Fever feat Angèle" written in white in the bottom right.

God bless Dua Lipa & Ian Kirkpatrick. First, the pair helped to give us Don't Start Now, and now they have done it again with Fever. America has terrible taste when it comes to house music, so I expect nothing of its success in my own country, but it will remain my *global* gem. The beat is hynotic and sensual and fantastic from start to finish. I love that Dua collaborated with a french pop girl that I was not aware of previously - Ang is also fabulous on this song. The absolute highlight is when the beat kicks on the 2nd chorus. Dua fans will be quite pleased with my remaining Top 10, hope you're ready!

9 Joel Corry - Head & Heart (feat. MNEK)

Joel Corry - Head & Heart.png

MNEK is one of my favorite songwriters in pop music (please check out his debut album!), & he continued his quality streak with this dance pop confection.  It flopped in the US but you'll notice a trend where I absolutely love global house tunes that the US pays dust.  This one never gets old!

8 Sonny Fodera & King Henry - Before U (feat. AlunaGeorge)

Before U by Sonny Fodera

House music clearly kept me sane in 2020. This one is not as well known as the other songs in my Top 10, but PLEASE listen if you enjoy house music. You will get your life. AlunaGeorge and electronic/dance music is always a heavenly combo, which is how I found this song because I'm an avid Aluna supporter. One of the best dance breakdowns of 2020, easily.

7 J Balvin, Dua Lipa, Bad Bunny & tainy - Un Dia

220px-J_Balvin_-_Un_Dia_(One_Day).png

I adore this song for many reasons, most of all being its fresh take on electronic pop music. It feels like a ballad even though the song actually has a booming and very present beat. It's a song you can just vibe to in one mood, or work to it within the next hour. Dua sounds great, as usual. And I am loving Bad Bunny for keeping 2020 music fresh and alive, so his presence is much appreciated as well. It has one of the catchiest choruses of 2020 with "one day you'll love me againnnnn"

6 Lady Gaga & BLACKPINK - Sour Candy

Lady Gaga - Chromatica - Amazon.com Music

There was never any choice but for me to be absolutely, utterly obsessed with this. Gaga going back to fast-paced pop music? BLACKPINK, my favorite k-pop band, collaborating with GAGA?! On a house beat?!! Talk about giving a gay everything he wants. I always replay at least a couple times every listening session and I will be LIVID if we do not get a high budget k-pop quality level video of this by the end of 2021. This deserved to hit #1.

Head and Heart and Sour Candy :clap3:

Spill about Sour Candy :jonny6: She’s so dumb for not releasing this officially 

Fever & Sour Candy :clap3:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.