Madonna Discography Rate (WINNER ANNOUNCED)

madonnas

I hope she gets her sh!t together this decade and finally serves some QUALITY. The last 3 albums put such a stain on her discography for me that Radiohead overtook her as my #1 fave. 

• Replies 11.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• madonnas

• Oktober Knight

• Everest

• Poxy

John Slayne

y'all do too much on her 10s output. Madame X is a great album, and Rebel Heart and MDNA are just ok. They're definitely in the bottom 5 of her discography, but even MDNA is average in comparison with other pop girls' outputs.

• ATRL Moderator
madonnas
Posted (edited)

her 10s discography is a mess but each album has a handful or more of genuinely good songs.  the thing is its not a specific type of song.  some of the more cutting edge songs stand out (bitch im madonna, love spent) but some dont (extreme occident) where some of the more standard bops stand out (im addicted, faz gostoso) but some dont (living for love)

:michael: so its hard to break it down.

Edited by Madame X
  • ATRL Moderator
madonnas
1 hour ago, Nemo said:

oh. you’re one of those.

orwm8t7.thumb.jpg.ec1314eeb9ef4fb406104e

ive always been one of those!

bestfiction

Ultimately, her 10s albums aren't on par with her other albums but asdie from MDNA, they aren't an unlistenable mess either. Had any of the current popgirls released a Rebel Heart, she'd do well and ATRL would stan her. Living for Love, Ghosttown, Hold Tight, Rebel Heart (AviciI mix) are geniunely good pop songs that are only held back by the fact that they have to compete with erm... some of the best music of all time that she's previously put out :michael:

Edited by bestfiction
Oktober Knight

If her 10s albums were shorter with about 10 tracks each, I think they would be appreciated more. With all the deluxe tracks and the extensive Rebel Heart project, I think it became overwhelming for most and therefore the albums had more filler tracks. 

3 hours ago, John Slayne said:

y'all do too much on her 10s output. Madame X is a great album, and Rebel Heart and MDNA are just ok. They're definitely in the bottom 5 of her discography, but even MDNA is average in comparison with other pop girls' outputs.

i'm listening to madame x rn (actually re-listening and re-ranking all of her albums :rip:) and ugh, it's just a great album. i can see how the lows can kinda bring it down, but its highs are great.

hope everyone is giving funana a 10

bestfiction
Just now, Nemo said:

i'm listening to madame x rn (actually re-listening and re-ranking all of her albums :rip:) and ugh, it's just a great album. i can see how the lows can kinda bring it down, but its highs are great.

hope everyone is giving funana a 10

give Killers Who Are Partying a 10 and we have a deal

• ATRL Moderator
madonnas

damn, she really butchered back that up to the beat?

it probably wouldn't be as bad if we hadn't heard its gorgeous demo 

paulyyyozd

I simply can't comprehend how one can prefer Rebel Heart to MDNA if the argument is that MDNA is just cheap bops.

MDNA still feels like a Madonna album, it has some interesting, maybe even bold(ish) moments, it's cohesive, it attempts to be mainstream but is not entirely generic still. I mean no one else would release a song like GMAYL. 

Rebel Heart on the other hand... literally a collection of mediocre Katy Perry songs if you overlook the cringy self referencing in every other track.

MDNA is still pretty bad and Rebel Heart has its moments but come on now. 

:giraffe:

UnanimousBB16

Made it to Erotica yesterday. Some surprises, and I realized that her 80s material is more inconsistent than I realized. 

Hoping to go from Bedtime Stories to Hard Candy today.

dreampop

this should be fun :mandown: ... I expect Deeper & Deeper to peak top 3 at least 

bestfiction
1 hour ago, paulyyyozd said:

I simply can't comprehend how one can prefer Rebel Heart to MDNA if the argument is that MDNA is just cheap bops.

MDNA still feels like a Madonna album, it has some interesting, maybe even bold(ish) moments, it's cohesive, it attempts to be mainstream but is not entirely generic still. I mean no one else would release a song like GMAYL. 

Rebel Heart on the other hand... literally a collection of mediocre Katy Perry songs if you overlook the cringy self referencing in every other track.

Bitch I'm Madonna is an avant garde boundary pushing masterpiece so here's that :giraffe: the best sings on MDNO are 7/10 at best 

The main problem with her 2010s output is the production. There's a good album buried somewhere in Rebel Heart's 100 tracks and 700 demos, but you can tell everything was rushed due to the leaks. I started liking LFL way more after listening to its Inside the Groove episode. There were so many great details in that song that the album version just doesn't show. They're there, but barely noticeable.

giphy.gif

bestfiction
1 minute ago, ATWK said:

The main problem with her 2010s output is the production. There's a good album buried somewhere in Rebel Heart's 100 tracks and 700 demos, but you can tell everything was rushed due to the leaks. I started liking LFL way more after listening to its Inside the Groove episode. There were so many great details in that song that the album version just doesn't show. They're there, but barely noticeable.

giphy.gif

omfg tea

I also think some of the demos are clearly superior to the final cuts. LFL, RH, WAOM, Illuminati, for example

giphy.gif

C_Colstead

The demos on Rebel Heart > the ones that ended up making it on the record.

4 hours ago, dreampop said:

this should be fun :mandown: ... I expect Deeper & Deeper to peak top 3 at least 

be sure give it a 10 or even one of you 11s--some f words were talking about sabotaging it yesterday

giphy.gif

bestfiction

Madame X: 7.06

Probably would've been at 7.3-7.5 but I'm stepping up my sabotage game :mandown:

4 hours ago, bestfiction said:

Had any of the current popgirls released a Rebel Heart, she'd do well and ATRL would stan her.

Not at 25 songs long. But also the lyrics are just yikes on most songs. So forced, pretentious, and for most part inappropriate. It's just a cringfest. 

bestfiction
36 minutes ago, Brando said:

Not at 25 songs long. But also the lyrics are just yikes on most songs. So forced, pretentious, and for most part inappropriate. It's just a cringfest. 

Oh yeah, definitely. I am mostly referring to the 14 track version. Remember how Ajay stanned it? Even that demands polishing but had anyone but Madonna released it, it wouldn't have been referred as trash and one of the worst albums ever

3 minutes ago, bestfiction said:

Oh yeah, definitely. I am mostly referring to the 14 track version. Remember how Ajay stanned it? Even that demands polishing but had anyone but Madonna released it, it wouldn't have been referred as trash and one of the worst albums ever

Never heard anyone calling it worst ever, but expectations from a Madonna album certainly play a role in its perception. And that's fair. If Katy Perry released it I'd probably say it was great for her standards and applaud her for it. 

5 hours ago, paulyyyozd said:

This. Minus MDNA being bad.

Rebel Heart's nice songs are ultimately boring. MDNA at least tried something. And it opens with three solid and exciting songs. 

GGW, I'm Addicted, Gang Bang, IDGA, Love Spent, Falling Free > 

bestfiction
1 minute ago, Brando said:

Never heard anyone calling it worst ever, but expectations from a Madonna album certainly play a role in its perception. And that's fair. If Katy Perry released it I'd probably say it was great for her standards and applaud her for it. 

I mean, most of the folks on here just dump it together with her other post-COADF albums and call them all terrible :michael: 

It is fair to demand more from Madonna but at the same time, it's not. As one of the users on here said "all she had to do to get her reputation destroyed was to release albums that are not masterpieces". Not that I think that her reputation is destroyed but it's actually a pretty good point: out all the legends, Madonna is probably the only one who can't get away with making music that isn't even bad, but subpar

8 minutes ago, bestfiction said:

I mean, most of the folks on here just dump it together with her other post-COADF albums and call them all terrible :michael: 

It is fair to demand more from Madonna but at the same time, it's not. As one of the users on here said "all she had to do to get her reputation destroyed was to release albums that are not masterpieces". Not that I think that her reputation is destroyed but it's actually a pretty good point: out all the legends, Madonna is probably the only one who can't get away with making music that isn't even bad, but subpar

tbh I think all of her post HC albums are bad for various reasons. Rebel Heart may have worked with a younger musician, but that's about it. Aside from 2/3 songs from each project I think the albums are largely garbage. I applaud her for trying something experimental with Madame X, but she tried too hard with the experimental side of it and forgot about making the songs melodically pleasing.