A dark theme is now available to ATRL+ members. ×

Jazmine Sullivan - 'Heaux Tales'

EarStyle

Put It Down is HOT! 😍

What a track! The label needs to get this some attention asap.

Edited by Adonis
  • Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• EarStyle

• nooniebao

• 99sandthe2000s

• aliciavikanders

OnlyRealMusic.

The Other Side, Put it Down & the singles are my highlights. 

sweetsexysavage

I had extremely low expectations after Lost One, but the EP is immaculate after first listen. I didnt expect those lyrics tho... but it‘s a new Jazmine I guess. I just now realized how much I missed her vocals.

She posted on IG we won‘t have to wait another 6 years for an album.

trainsskyscrapers
8 minutes ago, sweetsexysavage said:

I saw several people on Twitter speculating that she'll drop a deluxe of sorts in a few months with extra tracks and turn the expanded version into a full album. I wouldn't be mad. The quality of these tracks was much higher than I expected. 

I think some of y'all are not taking this as a conceptual storytelling effort. She's fully giving voice to these women - to the extent that even some themes or lyrics contradict themselves in the project (Put It Down v. Girl Like Me, e.g.). That's the beauty of devotion to the storytelling, especially when she's trying to paint the complexity of the hardship black women go through while going through life and facing rejection in their relationships.

I can't pint point what's Jazmine, what's not Jazmine. The project is titled Heux Tales, not Love Fairytales. The fact itself that black women stories when it comes to love is connected to body alienation and all the damage they get from being used and abused say it all. Those women have different background and perceptions about love, affection and sex.

In light of all that, I really enjoy the project lyrically and sonically - been enjoying it since the singles though.

I want a full album soon but I also want a version of the EP without the interludes. They give context to the concept but I want to listen to it just for the music as well.

Edited by Fading

The whole EP is gorgeous with great storytelling, interesting tales. 

but oh my god, The Other Side is absolutely perfection. The production is fantastic and I am so into her vocals on it. Wow wow wow she keeps impressing me 13 years on :jonny6:

Edited by Doogle
Madame X

this "project" (lmao, it feels like an album and is good enough) is everything i wanted from her. :jonny: 

aliciavikanders

Jazmine said she does not want y'all referring to this as an album!!!

But this is so amazing on first listen. 'On It' is a real highlight. 

99sandthe2000s

Woke up still in awe of this EP. The vocals, production, features, the tales that weave this project together :jonny5: I need a physical copy of this.

This is how you do r&b and start the year off right! 

#3 on US iTunes -- hope this streams well and we get a visual of Jazmine x Ari for On It.

dabunique

so good, when i read da title i'm like i hope its full of mascaras and it is

bop after bop

EarStyle

She did more than deliver! 

My absolute favorites are the singles + "Bodies", "The Other Side", "Put It Down", and "On It"

The instrumentation on the interludes are so good and they feel so important instead of feeling unnecessary. Love this. 

EarStyle

Am I the only one that loves the tales just as much as I love the songs? 

EarStyle
9 hours ago, sweetsexysavage said:

I had extremely low expectations after Lost One, but the EP is immaculate after first listen. I didnt expect those lyrics tho... but it‘s a new Jazmine I guess. I just now realized how much I missed her vocals.

EP is simply to tell her friends stories which is why content and lyrics aren't her usual. The album will be more about her life currently in love and dealing with her mom's health issues. Album is going to be incredible.

EarStyle
1 hour ago, 99sandthe2000s said:

Woke up still in awe of this EP. The vocals, production, features, the tales that weave this project together :jonny5: I need a physical copy of this.

This is how you do r&b and start the year off right! 

#3 on US iTunes -- hope this streams well and we get a visual of Jazmine x Ari for On It.

I need a physical and vinyl! I heard there are some visuals on the way that will roll out over some time.

99sandthe2000s
4 minutes ago, EarStyle said:

Am I the only one that loves the tales just as much as I love the songs? 

Rashida's Tale with the harmonies in the background sliding into Lost Ones :jonny2:

Ms. Donna going off about trickin with the organ playing in the back then we go into Pricetags :deadbanana:

Ari being dickmatized then we get that new r&b classic On It :WAP:

The Tales were so perfect and really enhanced the songs especially Rashida's Tale. I've always loved Lost Ones but that intro + the lyrics made me cry.

5 minutes ago, EarStyle said:

I need a physical and vinyl! I heard there are some visuals on the way that will roll out over some time.

It's only 7 songs I think she could give a visual or live performance for each one. But On It, Pricetags and The Other Side deserve a visual. 

12 hours ago, trainsskyscrapers said:

LOVE THIS PROJECT. A solid 9/10.

Welcome back, Jazmine.

Could I have done without the interludes? Yes.

If she found 7 more tracks (of equal or better quality) and turned this into an ALBUM ALBUM would it deserve North of 80 on Metacritic? Definitely. (It still does in its current iteration because her writing is so solid)

:clap3:

but the interludes are the meaning behind each song...

EarStyle
1 minute ago, MEGA said:

and they are well produced with added harmonies etc. I think they're brilliant and done right.

10 hours ago, Fading said:

I think some of y'all are not taking this as a conceptual storytelling effort. She's fully giving voice to these women - to the extent that even some themes or lyrics contradict themselves in the project (Put It Down v. Girl Like Me, e.g.). That's the beauty of devotion to the storytelling, especially when she's trying to paint the complexity of the hardship black women go through while going through life and facing rejection in their relationships.

I can't pint point what's Jazmine, what's not Jazmine. The project is titled Heux Tales, not Love Fairytales. The fact itself that black women stories when it comes to love is connected to body alienation and all the damage they get from being used and abused say it all. Those women have different background and perceptions about love, affection and sex.

In light of all that, I really enjoy the project lyrically and sonically - been enjoying it since the singles though.

I want a full album soon but I also want a version of the EP without the interludes. They give context to the concept but I want to listen to it just for the music as well.

THANK YOU. 

trainsskyscrapers
1 hour ago, MEGA said:

I would rather have them added as the outro to the previous song. Maybe it's just me. All of these wonderful storytellers would still receive credit for their vocals, but if this project is successful and RCA just decides to turn it into the album with some additions, It would make things look cleaner for sure.