Tom's Best Of 2020 | Top Albums Finished Pg. 9. R.I.P DOOM

Tom Vercetti

On 12/7/2020 at 10:20 PM, Tom Vercetti said:

39. Lianne La Havas - Bittersweet (Neo-Soul)

Thanks a lot for this recommendation. It's a genre I thoroughly enjoy. Perfect track to listen to late at night.

Edited by Sunderland 4ever

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tom Vercetti

• Sunderland 4ever

• SLIME

• Legend E

I heard a couple songs from Rina and she's fine but just like... not really for me I guess?

Hard to Forget is also not really my taste but definitely one of the better country songs I was exposed to this year!

We DO NOT come for the Sucker era :tsk:  CDG a bop tho, yes it is

Loving the Simulation praise, the song is truly the life-changing experience. Though it was a bit hard for me to stomach it + Kingdom of Ends while going into the album

I think I enjoyed some of the Eyedi songs but she's not in on my radar yet. Is she like Yukika/Yubin I assme?

KLK a massive banger

ahhhhhhh we love another Comme Des Garcons stan :clap3: 

Also drag those cheesy ballad stans. Can't believe there are people who can actually stomach Chosen Family :biblio: 

Roisin :clap3: I need to go back to Lianne's album it seems. Wasn't really feeling it much compared to her 2015 album I fear :katie: 

Screaming at the Zot Ani mention. A ****ing BOP!

It was the Spotify autoplayola that soured CDG for me, personally. I liked it when it came out tho

Rina!! I don't recognise a lot of this, but I like seeing users with taste outside of the popular artist tracks

I mean Commes is a bop BUT XS is miles better :mandown: the lies about Mamamoo, Hip is superior but the rip off is a bop too :keir:

Simulation and Jus.T are both v cute :jamming: KLK one of my fave songs of the year, easily Arca and Rosalia's best :WAP: 

On 12/7/2020 at 10:24 PM, Legend E said:

Bittersweet is sooo good :clap3: 

Comme Des Garcons is cute, but I actually love those cheesy ballads :thing: 

I've always disliked ballads. Not many can pull them off. 

On 12/7/2020 at 10:41 PM, Claw said:

Ok this set is where I noticed a few repeats from my list all in a row. I love @ Meh's "IDM"-esque bloops but same I wouldn't call it his best best. KLK is fire. Sam Hunt surprised me here but well I'll give it a listen. Btw LOL I think Nav's feature strangely works also.

We stan Bladee for lightening your mood. :ihype: I would say I'm ~30% into the Drainer world so I didn't know the Thaiboy song. But gotta give it to them that they pump out short bangers.

Bladee > Thaiboy > Ecco for me. I've noticed a growth in popularity for bladee this year and it's probably thanks to Girls Just Wanna Have Fun. 

On 12/8/2020 at 12:33 AM, Ewan Chaos said:

I know Blood was big...ish in "our community" but you're right that Bittersweet/this new album is giving it a higher light (I guess we can thank the likes of Anthony Fantano for that? skdsldlksjdsa). Bittersweet is ****ing flawless.

Quite inclined to agree with your CDG pick. Though idk I think both can live just fine on a DEBUT album which is why it works on Swayama to have STFU right before CDG. And they both pissed off the gays LOL.

Yeah of course the pop fans are gonna not care as much for Simulation but I'm with you; it's really really good and this mix is the best it's sounded. It works so well as an opening song and the "I feel my story's still untold" being copy/pasted from Murphy's Law as an album manifesto is super cute.

And atm bloodpop is making her gay fans even more mad :rip: She can't win atm. 

On 12/8/2020 at 1:25 AM, Madame X said:

yes YES

ok its my first time listening to this and i have to admit, its really really really really really really good.  thank you.

im going to hard disagree with your rina take.  when she tries to do traditional pop sounds it usually just sounds so unremarkable to me.  thank you for choosing the correct arca song.  and then simulation/bald/@ meh fill out this update.

i never really got into la zowie.  i should probably just give her another chance.  the salem song was good too but i have to admit the album disappointed.

I knew you would like it. I don't think CDG is all that traditional tbh in the top 40 pop sense and it's not as generic as the music she's releasing with bloodpoop. 

On 12/8/2020 at 7:51 AM, mokitsu said:

lianne blew it the **** out of the water with this album and im glad shes getting her flowers. she did a bbc symphony concert this year that was amazing as well. kinda screaming at the HIP copy :dies: that la zowi song was good :jamming: 

Happy for her~ 

On 12/8/2020 at 7:57 AM, Lazuli said:

commes des garcon :jonny5: i still love the rocky tracks and chosen family tho :mandown: 

klk is cute

I envy you cuz whew, couldn't make it through Chosen Family again .

On 12/8/2020 at 9:12 AM, Wicked said:

Sam Hunt gets a lot of hate, but I agree with your assessment. That one and Bald are my faves, but Simulation & klk are up there.

Sam Hunt isn't as "acclaimed" as say... Sturgill so the dismissal of him is expected. 

On 12/8/2020 at 9:21 AM, Staryu said:

37. Rina Sawayama - Comme Des Garçons, one of my favorite songs of the year, idc if it is pandering to me, it worked I guess :rip: Love Me 4 Me is one of my faves from the album too :alexz: 

Sayayama deserved more house bops :shakeno:

On 12/8/2020 at 10:21 AM, Tremor Christ said:

Simulation album mix is better than the extended version. 10/10 song.

Sam Hunt's album was enjoyable. I like Body Like a Backroad too

KLK a whole bop :katie2:

Co-sign on 645AR. It's Twigs' song lol

I think Rina is overrated: her voice isn't unique, her music doesn't bring anything new to the table, it's all revivalism whether it be y2k pop, house or nu-metal. Style over substance. :zzz: Doesn't mean I don't enjoy it for what it is though

I heard a slowed down twig solo version of Sum Bout U and almost added it. W/ Rina, her y2k worship works best with proper producers (clarence). 

On 12/8/2020 at 10:46 AM, jpow said:

Roisin and Rina :clap3: Dance excellence with those songs 

:katie2: 

On 12/8/2020 at 12:31 PM, Blue Rose said:

Simulation is excellent. 
I agree Comme Des Garçons is Rina’s best. 
Carti kinda flopped for your chart :laugh:

@ Meh wasn't a big event and he definitely can do better. Still waiting on Whole Lotta Red but the leaks will work for now. 

On 12/8/2020 at 1:43 PM, BlackoutZone said:

Surprised with CDG, I noticed it's kinda hated, it doesn't really fit the album for me, but it's not like it's a very cohesive project anyway. Can't say I hate it myself though, sits pretty at 200 plays on last fm :toofunny3: Not a fan of Pabllo remix though

Simulation really good take out from RM, it thought for a spot on my list with Murphy's Law

J.us.T gorgeous :clap3:

It's only hated by people who are overpraising the nu-metal revival in pop. The pablo remix, I don't know her. 

On 12/8/2020 at 4:21 PM, TheWayWeWere said:

I loved old Simulation version more :rip: 

Rina :clap3: 

Perhaps i'm biased since I was exposed to the new version first but the older one is missing something. 

On 12/8/2020 at 5:13 PM, Reinvention said:

LIKE THE BOYS, LIKE THE BOYS

I'M SO CONFIDENT.

1qJdJKc.gif

:biggrin:

On 12/9/2020 at 12:39 AM, Remmy said:

Comme des garçons has always been a bit overhyped for me, but it's still a solid bop at the end of the day so whatever :sats:

I think XS is a bit more overhyped but that's just me :mandown: 

On 12/9/2020 at 1:02 AM, Sunderland 4ever said:

Thanks a lot for this recommendation. It's a genre I thoroughly enjoy. Perfect track to listen to late at night.

No problem. Her album is up to par too. 

On 12/9/2020 at 4:19 AM, potent said:

I heard a couple songs from Rina and she's fine but just like... not really for me I guess?

Hard to Forget is also not really my taste but definitely one of the better country songs I was exposed to this year!

She's alright. Liked her more in the EP days. 

On 12/9/2020 at 7:42 AM, bestfiction said:

We DO NOT come for the Sucker era :tsk:  CDG a bop tho, yes it is

Loving the Simulation praise, the song is truly the life-changing experience. Though it was a bit hard for me to stomach it + Kingdom of Ends while going into the album

I think I enjoyed some of the Eyedi songs but she's not in on my radar yet. Is she like Yukika/Yubin I assme?

KLK a massive banger

Even Charli herself does not come back to the Sucker era so maybe we should leave it alone. I'm used to full length mixes of dance songs that are usually at mininum 7-8 minutes long so digesting simulation is easy. Eyedi is more under the radar and just is kind of her "breakout" song. Maybe she'll come up with a project next year. 

On 12/9/2020 at 8:12 AM, Pink Matter said:

ahhhhhhh we love another Comme Des Garcons stan :clap3: 

Also drag those cheesy ballad stans. Can't believe there are people who can actually stomach Chosen Family :biblio: 

Roisin :clap3: I need to go back to Lianne's album it seems. Wasn't really feeling it much compared to her 2015 album I fear :katie: 

Me neither :mazen: That and bad friend are nopes. Similar feeling for Lianne, some standouts but as a whole, can't say i'll go back to it often. 

On 12/9/2020 at 12:05 PM, Psycho said:

Screaming at the Zot Ani mention. A ****ing BOP!

Coming to dominate the 2021 game section :clap3: 

On 12/9/2020 at 4:30 PM, KasioKas said:

Rina!! I don't recognise a lot of this, but I like seeing users with taste outside of the popular artist tracks

Thanks. That's why I link things so can people can have the opportunity to be exposed to things outside the atrl spectrum. 

13 hours ago, K$Ellie said:

I mean Commes is a bop BUT XS is miles better :mandown: the lies about Mamamoo, Hip is superior but the rip off is a bop too :keir:

Simulation and Jus.T are both v cute :jamming: KLK one of my fave songs of the year, easily Arca and Rosalia's best :WAP: 

XS is fine and the 2nd best on the album but I don't think it's all that special~ I heard ella lee's version first and then someone pointed out it sounded like mamamoo so I checked out HIP and was like oh I see now :sherlock: Points made on KLK. 

Finals and work got me whipped. Will update tomorrow x 

In preparation for tomorrow's update:

some hms for songs that I didn't include on my list.

blackpink's best song tbh. Just can't get into gaga's talk-singing. The former group (and the beat) did most of the work. 

"Sonically" the most intriguing of her album. 

One of those early songs that I liked a little but didn't stick to by the end of the year. Wouldn't mind it as a standalone song.

My favorite of her new album and it's the shortest one of course. Interesting production this one has. 

A parody of carti. People are really starved for WLR that we're doing this. 

sour candy is NOT blackpink's best song but it is a slapper

juro que was fine but yeah it didn't stick for me 

• ATRL Moderator

I've always disliked ballads. Not many can pull them off. 

but Rina can :clap3: 

not a fan of newspaper, west side or sour candy so good riddance :mandown:

Sour Candy cute, Newspaper an interesting choice but definitely intriguing like you said :dies:

My favorite is Newspaper. After listening to a couple of Ariana tracks, I guess I'll give her album a chance.

Newspaper almost made it to my list, but other album track won over it and based on the lists I've seen so far it's a rather unpopular choise so we will see soon x

• ATRL Moderator

good rosalia/gaga/fiona picks.  not my personal faves, but they are still good.  i like gaga's drag queen vocal tbh.

west side is alright from what I remember, honestly I've successfully blocked a good amount of Positions out. Sour Candy :alexz3:

23 hours ago, Claw said:

Mario :skull: Love it

If he really releases WLR before Carti I-

21 hours ago, Lazuli said:

sour candy is NOT blackpink's best song but it is a slapper

juro que was fine but yeah it didn't stick for me 

The only other BP song I can think of is Playing With Fire. 

19 hours ago, Legend E said:

but Rina can :clap3: 

not a fan of newspaper, west side or sour candy so good riddance :mandown:

Can she though :mandown: 

15 hours ago, Wicked said:

I legitimately like Bih Yah more than @ meh. He kinda nailed it.

I'll give him credit that he got the sound right. For now i'll stick the WLR leaks and beyond bootleg. 

15 hours ago, potent said:

Sour Candy cute, Newspaper an interesting choice but definitely intriguing like you said :dies:

I don't see enough love for newspaper :shrug: 

15 hours ago, Post Malone said:

Sour Candy a bop

At times. 

11 hours ago, Sunderland 4ever said:

My favorite is Newspaper. After listening to a couple of Ariana tracks, I guess I'll give her album a chance.

Positions is eh. Perhaps if you liked Thank You Next, it can offer something. 

8 hours ago, BlackoutZone said:

Newspaper almost made it to my list, but other album track won over it and based on the lists I've seen so far it's a rather unpopular choise so we will see soon x

Sometimes the popular choice isn't always the right one~ 

6 hours ago, Madame X said:

good rosalia/gaga/fiona picks.  not my personal faves, but they are still good.  i like gaga's drag queen vocal tbh.

I find gaga's "Drag queen" vocals mixed with BP's to be kind of jarring. 

3 hours ago, Remmy said:

west side is alright from what I remember, honestly I've successfully blocked a good amount of Positions out. Sour Candy :alexz3:

There's only 1-2 songs from positions that stand outs so it's not hard to block the album from memory. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.