Tom's Best Of 2020 | Top Albums Finished Pg. 9. R.I.P DOOM

Tom Vercetti

The Starbucks Rush dragging :clap3: Lost In Yesterday is a great song though I agree.

P*ssy Fairy is easily Jhene's best, I agree with everything you said on that.

Megan has enough charisma to be the it rap girl but her music is devoid of character (such irony). She also sucks at choruses - Captain Hook, Big Ole Freak, Cash Sh*t & Savage are exceptions. Good News is basically the same s*** over again. Don't Stop is a less remarkable WAP but Thugger & the industrial beat save it.

Really love the drill trend in hip-hop :katie2:

The thought of an Elon Musk love song nauseats me enough to not ever like it (LMAO at panned album :toofunny3:)

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tom Vercetti

• Sunderland 4ever

• SLIME

• potent

On 12/3/2020 at 7:53 PM, Tom Vercetti said:

69. Tame Impala - Lost In Yesterday (Psychedelic Pop)

That's my second favorite track after One More Year. Such a grower.

Summer Love was cute, I preferred the demo tho

Lost In Yesterday amazing :heart:

Impact is great, I should have used it more

Magdelena Bay are way more charming and fun than most synthpop duos, love both their projects this year!

Ravenna Golden is a cute gal too, Spotify has played her a Dorian Electra collab a few times for me and I really like it, and turns out it's two years old which is surprising given the sound. Also playlist'd that Fletcher song for me and I got the same sense of it just being slightly above average on all fronts, but coming together as a bop nonetheless. 

Impact is a major banger :jonny: but I kinda get tired from it quickly :eli: 

I kinda forgout about Dedicated Side B :rip: 

16 hours ago, prézli said:

How many artists do you know?

Tom Vercetti: Yes.

:giraffe:

Carly Rae :clap3: 

Fun fact. If you check my outdated last fm, which I haven't used in over a year, there's about 8k+ there

13 hours ago, Wicked said:

Nice start, ***** Fairy is surely Jhene at her best. 

Don't Stop is cool. And yes, better than any Cardi song. Megan needs to stop tryna do hooks and let some R&B songstress do it. 

Yep. Also need better beats too. 

11 hours ago, Topmaster 2 said:

I know/like these ones :cm:

Carly is the best one tho. 

I was down for the first night, but now i'm down for a second try :celestial4:

10 hours ago, Tremor Christ said:

The Starbucks Rush dragging :clap3: Lost In Yesterday is a great song though I agree.

P*ssy Fairy is easily Jhene's best, I agree with everything you said on that.

Megan has enough charisma to be the it rap girl but her music is devoid of character (such irony). She also sucks at choruses - Captain Hook, Big Ole Freak, Cash Sh*t & Savage are exceptions. Good News is basically the same s*** over again. Don't Stop is a less remarkable WAP but Thugger & the industrial beat save it.

Really love the drill trend in hip-hop :katie2:

The thought of an Elon Musk love song nauseats me enough to not ever like it (LMAO at panned album :toofunny3:)

I was going through Mrgan's album and whew, barely any memorable hooks to be found. Idk if she writes all of her stuff completely but whoever is doing it needs to reinvent. The Drill scene is helping me get into more UK Hip Hop which is nice. 

9 hours ago, Sunderland 4ever said:

That's my second favorite track after One More Year. Such a grower.

One More Year is around the upper half of the album quality wise. Helps that it's the opener too. 

8 hours ago, Psycho said:

Summer Love was cute, I preferred the demo tho

Lost In Yesterday amazing :heart:

Impact is great, I should have used it more

Haven't heard the demo yet but a lot of demos tend to be better than the original so i'll take your word on it. 

4 hours ago, skankle said:

Magdelena Bay are way more charming and fun than most synthpop duos, love both their projects this year!

Ravenna Golden is a cute gal too, Spotify has played her a Dorian Electra collab a few times for me and I really like it, and turns out it's two years old which is surprising given the sound. Also playlist'd that Fletcher song for me and I got the same sense of it just being slightly above average on all fronts, but coming together as a bop nonetheless. 

I'll try to give Magdelena another chance later down the road. 

3 hours ago, TheWayWeWere said:

Impact is a major banger :jonny: but I kinda get tired from it quickly :eli: 

I kinda forgout about Dedicated Side B :rip: 

I almost forgot to include Summer Love so that's saying something :mandown:

-

So yeah, let me get the next 20 songs out the way. 

POaRiOc.jpg

60. Jamie xx - Idontknow (Uk Bass, Hardcore Breaks)

idontknow.jpg

The superior xx member explores further into breakbeat hardcore territory. It doesn't wow me like Gosh or Loud Places did back in 2015 but it's decent. 

59. Evian Christ - Ultra (Ambient Trance, Progressive Electronic)

203235-2.jpg

When it picks up at the 1:45 >. The Yeezus producer made some points. 

58. Planet 1999 - Party (Synthpop, Bedroom Pop)

39f68d4dc0bb3aca993a427d173eb679.939x939x1.jpg

Basically PC music + dreampop, and for fans of both. 

57. Jelly & Pi'erre Bourne - Spot (Trap)

7be7955709a6e215d92537dd518ccff5.1000x1000x1.png?fm=png&ixlib=php-1.2.1&s=3ac72270a308aee83206c8a773b90ca4

Yo Pi'erre you wanna come out here?

56. Roosevelt - Echoes (Synthpop, Alternative Dance)

6714323908882974838_mq.jpg?v=5f315071

I hear Roosevelt a few times at my job so that means he's mainstream now. Good for him. I acknowledge that his sound rarely changes but echoes is electro-influenced so that makes it standout a bit compared to his recent catalog. 

55. That Kid ft Liz - Spells On U (Bubblegum Bass, Electropop)

9d9616affba9519800460b72e5dad451.1000x1000x1.jpg

Among the Ayesha/Slayyter camp, That Kid is another artist that's an acquired taste. Appreciate the exchange of melodies. I think Liz gives the better performance here tho. 

54. KeiyaA - Hvnli (Psychedelic Soul, Hypnagogic Pop)

a1686354437_10.jpg

Neatly layered and the repetition captures the attention. Almost wanted to add the reprise on this as I think it should've been a combined singular song.  

53.  Jenevieve - Baby Powder (R&B)

CS4478612-02A-BIG.jpg?fit=700,700&ssl=1

At the moment she has no album or EP but only a couple of tracks. This one has pretty production so I like it. Look out for her in 2021. 

52. Dogleg - "Kawasaki Backflip" (Emo, Post-Hardcore)

a1003084598_10.jpg

Hey, they're fans of Super Smash Bros so I fxck with them. 

51. Bad Gyal - Aprendiendo el sexo (Reggaeton)

9390b6090d677a672f7b0ff3a623ac4a.1000x1000x1.jpg

Another slow wine vibe. Release another full or mid-length project queen. 

50. Yaeji - Waking Up Down (Hip House)

whatwedrw.jpg

A bit useful during the time of quarantine. Also an obvious highlight on a rather mid mixtape. 

49. Tony Velour ft Dylan Brady - EURO PLUG (Trap [EDM], Bubblegum Bass)

artworks-6pP1ZIaUNwFv-0-t500x500.jpg

People are gonna be tired of the formulaic Dylan Brady production by mid-late next year if they're not already but at the moment it's contemporary and satisfactory. This pair has collaborated before but this time, there's a bit of euro-trance involved which is always appreciated for me. 

48. Fish Narc - WiLDFiRE' (Emo pop, Pop Punk)

9810da09a114fb7f20e3c23fbff5eb55.1000x1000x1.jpg

Our lives in the wildfire, burning fast and bright

"Fish narc" is a weird artist name and previously he used to be trap but I think punk suits him more :drum: 

47. Ichiko Aoba - Porcelain (Chamber Folk, Singer/Songwriter)

ichiko-aoba-windswept-adan.jpg

The MFG (Main Folk Girl). Sorry (not sorry) Joanna. 

46.  David Shawty - Tinman (Cloud Rap, Trap)

The music (especially with his previous collaborator who shall not be discussed)  is Tik Tok Zoomer-core but i'm kinda of a fan of his solo work. Keep em coming David. 

45. Rico Nasty - iPhone (Bubblegum Bass, Pop Rap)

QSyIj7Z.jpg

Perhaps her best song since Icarly. Always thought she was the best part in her feature of 100 gec's ringtone remix too. Her pop efforts are more appealing to the ear than the trap metal ****. 

44. FKA twigs x Skrillex - Ego Death (Yoseppi's Club Edit) (Chicago House)

a3523268075_5.jpg

Take the best part of the song (Ego Death) that's coincidentally the shortest and make it its own song while taking off the filler (Kanye). 

43. Yung Beef - MAMI DUELE 2.5 (Reggaeton)

c616883f50fa007fc0e592291457f714.1000x1000x1.jpg

Four Collaborations and they all work. Similar opinion as Fish Narc, I prefer his reggaetón material as a whole over his trap music. 

42. 지코 [Zico] - Any Song (K-Pop, Pop Rap)

Zico_-_Any_Song.png

Was surprised to see how early in the year it was released and how I missed it during the time. The Latin undertones makes it more fun than it's suppose to be. 

41.  Namasenda - Wanted (Happy Hardcore, Nu Style Gabber) 

60a9658b9fefca511fdc9c453bcc94d2.1000x1000x1.jpg

Her earlier singles were duds for me but this one packs a hardcore'd style punch. It's still a bit underdeveloped but wouldn't mind if her debut album explores the direction further. 

Recap:

60. Jamie xx - Idontknow

59. Evian Christ - Ultra

58. Planet 1999 - Party

57. Jelly & Pi'erre Bourne - Spot

56. Roosevelt - Echoes

55. That Kid ft Liz - Spells On U

54. KeiyaA - Hvnli 

53. Jenevieve - Baby Powder

52. Dogleg - "Kawasaki Backflip"

51. Bad Gyal - Aprendiendo el sexo

50. Yaeji - Waking Up Down

49. Tony Velour ft Dylan Brady - EURO PLUG

48. Fish Narc - WiLDFiRE' 

47. Ichiko Aoba - Porcelain

46. David Shawty - Tinman

45. Rico Nasty - iPhone

44. FKA twigs x Skrillex - Ego Death (Yoseppi's Club Edit)

43. Yung Beef - MAMI DUELE 2.5

42. 지코 [Zico] - Any Song

41. Namasenda - Wanted

• ATRL Moderator

re: your comment to me.  you should definitely check out MB's mini mixes, i think you'd like them more than their other EP songs.  super short releases too, so its not a huge investment if you end up not liking them.

ghlad you enjoyed party.  i thought it was super refreshing for pc music.  i think i enjoyed devotion even more.

idontknow is the first jamie xx song i truly loved.  though tbh, i never put much effort in his stuff.  does the other xx member even release stuff?

otherwise, waking up down / iphone / wanted = slays.  the bad gyal and iichiko aoba songs were stuff i totally expected to stan but they never connected with me unfortunately.  the keiyaa song is good, but i didnt spend enough time w her album.  i should do that bc she has a very good sound. 

• ATRL Moderator

I was kinda disappointed with Idontknow and so honestly I think Romy won the XX battle this year 

usdfghjgds didn't expect to see That Kid here, talentless hack :mandown: Waking Up Down was cute enough but the whole album was just there for me

Any Song is a fun bop, aged A LOT for me after it was spammed on tiktok tho :toofunny3: IPHONE is pretty much Rico's only great song since Nasty

1 hour ago, Tom Vercetti said:

60. Jamie xx - Idontknow (Uk Bass, Hardcore Breaks)

This is coming for probably top20 on my list :jonny5:

Stupid me, I thought this was his lead and that an album was on the way but nada :sosad:

Great update overall :clap3: 

49 minutes ago, jpow said:

I was kinda disappointed with Idontknow and so honestly I think Romy won the XX battle this year 

nah, Idontknow is perfect. 
But Jamie produced 2 or 3 other songs this year and they all snapped

1. Smoke by Headie One (who made my top10 best albums)

2. and this track

so yeah Jamie remains superior but Im rooting for Romy to snatch next year.

But the biggest plot twist is that Oliver had the best  single. It’s unreleased and it’s only a rumor that it’s for his solo

A bit late but let me catch up:

P*$$y Fairy was lowkey addictive back at the beginning of the year, especially the album version with the sort of 90s R&B breakdown intro :flame: 

Guilty Conscience is an easy highlight off 070s album, which I felt held up really well throughout the year for me

I must be the only one who thinks TSR wasn't a total disappointment :toofunny3: Glad you liked LIY though!

Impact came out of nowhere! Just randomly checked it out because of the ATRL Grammy's.

Haven't heard anything in the second set :thing: Gonna check out Jamie xx, Bad Gyal, and Rico though.

This set is nice, I completely agree about Rico too. 

Don't have much else to add but this Ms. Aoba song is pretty good. 

I loved Kiss My Own Dick and when looking it up to check it came out this year (for an end of year list elsewhere :eli:) found out about Yungster Jack's mess, to put it very lightly :skull: Lemme check out Mr Shawty's solo works.

Waking Up Down really was an anthem of early first lockdown, it was perfect :katie2:

idk why but the jamie xx track doesn't do anything for me :noparty: probably expecting too much from in colour

nnnnn i only know the zico song cuz of tiktok :dies: 

Glad I'm not the only one who uses this Ego Death edit, I'm slowly trying to get more and more into it since it seems to be Fka's own next sound :mandown:

Need to listen to Ichiko Aoba release that just dropped, cause all my friends praise it to heavens.

15 hours ago, Tom Vercetti said:

56. Roosevelt - Echoes (Synthpop, Alternative Dance)

I like that one. Glad to know he is getting some commercial recognition.

19 hours ago, Madame X said:

re: your comment to me.  you should definitely check out MB's mini mixes, i think you'd like them more than their other EP songs.  super short releases too, so its not a huge investment if you end up not liking them.

ghlad you enjoyed party.  i thought it was super refreshing for pc music.  i think i enjoyed devotion even more.

idontknow is the first jamie xx song i truly loved.  though tbh, i never put much effort in his stuff.  does the other xx member even release stuff?

otherwise, waking up down / iphone / wanted = slays.  the bad gyal and iichiko aoba songs were stuff i totally expected to stan but they never connected with me unfortunately.  the keiyaa song is good, but i didnt spend enough time w her album.  i should do that bc she has a very good sound. 

I liked planet's 1999 ep as a whole but party def carries it. You may have noticed already but Romy is just releasing solo material. But I doubt any of it will be as good as SeeSaw. 

19 hours ago, Legend E said:

idk these :( but excited for the rest

You should be x 

19 hours ago, jpow said:

We won't know until 2021 (I hope)

19 hours ago, K$Ellie said:

usdfghjgds didn't expect to see That Kid here, talentless hack :mandown: Waking Up Down was cute enough but the whole album was just there for me

Any Song is a fun bop, aged A LOT for me after it was spammed on tiktok tho :toofunny3: IPHONE is pretty much Rico's only great song since Nasty

I wouldn't say talentless but he doesn't have the talent for full length projects :mandown: Not surprised that it was spammed. At least i'm not a part of the Tik Tok community so I avoid the overexposure issues. 

18 hours ago, Blue Rose said:

This is coming for probably top20 on my list :jonny5:

Stupid me, I thought this was his lead and that an album was on the way but nada :sosad:

Great update overall :clap3: 

It's likely a standalone but I also wouldn't be surprised if he managed to fit it on his sophmore album if the sound is gonna be different than In Colour. 

16 hours ago, Pink Matter said:

A bit late but let me catch up:

P*$$y Fairy was lowkey addictive back at the beginning of the year, especially the album version with the sort of 90s R&B breakdown intro :flame: 

Guilty Conscience is an easy highlight off 070s album, which I felt held up really well throughout the year for me

I must be the only one who thinks TSR wasn't a total disappointment :toofunny3: Glad you liked LIY though!

Impact came out of nowhere! Just randomly checked it out because of the ATRL Grammy's.

Haven't heard anything in the second set :thing: Gonna check out Jamie xx, Bad Gyal, and Rico though.

I first heard Impact through a weekly release notification. It feels like SG Lewis's signature song already. 

12 hours ago, Wicked said:

This set is nice, I completely agree about Rico too. 

Don't have much else to add but this Ms. Aoba song is pretty good. 

I still need to check out Aoba's album that just released a few days ago. Been hearing nothing but good things about it. 

12 hours ago, skankle said:

I loved Kiss My Own Dick and when looking it up to check it came out this year (for an end of year list elsewhere :eli:) found out about Yungster Jack's mess, to put it very lightly :skull: Lemme check out Mr Shawty's solo works.

Waking Up Down really was an anthem of early first lockdown, it was perfect :katie2:

I mean I always found david to be the better (and less annoying vocalist) so he's better off without him. 

11 hours ago, Lazuli said:

idk why but the jamie xx track doesn't do anything for me :noparty: probably expecting too much from in colour

nnnnn i only know the zico song cuz of tiktok :dies: 

I'm glad Tik Tok didn't ruin the song for me then :celestial6:

7 hours ago, BlackoutZone said:

Glad I'm not the only one who uses this Ego Death edit, I'm slowly trying to get more and more into it since it seems to be Fka's own next sound :mandown:

Need to listen to Ichiko Aoba release that just dropped, cause all my friends praise it to heavens.

I hope Ms. Twigs ventures more into the house/club sound for her next album :celestial5:

4 hours ago, Sunderland 4ever said:

I like that one. Glad to know he is getting some commercial recognition.

I think it was Sign that I first noticed and I was confused at first but didn't mind of course compared to what usually plays. 

ok this slay

Wanted :jonny5:it literally left me shaking the first time I heard it. Ms. Naomi and Mx. Himera did that...

And yeah I get the Dylan Brady/gecs overexposure it's gonna ruin them before their big break. Their production is too all over the place yet very formulaic which doesn't help. That said those Tony and Rico songs are really good.

I will be needing the Evian Christ album expeditiously.

Also Bad Gyal EP coming in January allegedly!!! I'm ready for the honorary Latina slayage. :duca:

The Ego Death snub lsklsklslslksslksls - you're a savage for that. :jonny: Works for me, too

I love iPhone like no joke. Haven't heard of Tony though. Keiyaa's album was a really fresh sound to me, but I didn't listen enough to develop favorites yet.

Kiii @ That Kid. Saw some gays on Twitter hyping him up but yeah, not for me :matty:

The Romy shade, hmm. That Jamie song is okay. He can do better and we know it!

IS Roosevelt mainstream now? :priceless: Happy to see his best song from this year on this list.

ANOTHER PERSON WHO LISTENED TO DOGLEG yeah you have to stan them for liking Smash Bros (yeah they're a bit basic stanning Melee only but meh). Your song pick is great but not specifically my fave from them. 

Didn't realize that Ichiko released a full album! lemme add to my list~

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.