• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Blue Rose

• madonnas

• BlackoutZone

• Legend E

17 hours ago, Madame X said:

UNWANTED GUEST? stan hatchie, but it should have been stay with me or secret!!

home with you + lark are a slay but not my fave from them.

regardless, she's a good 2019 top 10 :-*  

omg your surprise drop!  i was actually gonna do that today but you stole my shine, ill do it tmrw.

lots of classics: spotlight, after hours, physical.  they're on everyone's lists for a reason :-* 

We love the unanimous acclaim for Spotlight, After Hours and Physical 

17 hours ago, Legend E said:

after hours is a cute sis

spotlight & physical :jonny5:

:heart: 

15 hours ago, Ewan Chaos said:

Bless Me, Spotlight, Physical, the Thundercat picks yaaaaaaas.

Jacques in your top 10 last year! :eek: Honestly a hugely underrated track. It slapped live too. Helado Negro too, super underrated :clap3: 

Im jealous you saw Tove live. She’s on my list of acts I wanna see. 
I almost saw Helado Negro live but the festival got canceled. 

14 hours ago, TRF. said:

Spotlight Physical and After Hours :jonny5:

Bops only :jonny5:

8 hours ago, K$Ellie said:

love to see Spotlight so high :smitten: Physical and After Hours maybe a little overrated but still v good :jamming:

home with you top 5 last year :heart: Lark top 10 :heart: Jacques is like my least fave on Sunshine Kitty :mandown:

least fave on Sunshine Kitty is still a compliment since Tove’s album was flawless :heart: 

4 hours ago, Lazuli said:

run away with me has carly ha IMPACT

one more second is cute! 

after hours, spotlight, physical, bless me :clap3: 

unwanted guest is the best song on hatchie’s album, glad it was #2 

home with you :eek: interesting

lark :alexz: 

Twigs is probably my second favorite female artist. Obsessed with her. 

Top10 is on the way :duca: 

5QFHzN5.jpg

What can I say about this ballad that hasn’t already been said by everyone who has heard it? Synth Pop perfection! I remember when this came out last January and I immediately knew it was going to be hard to top. The fact that it has held up so well is just remarkable. The simple phrase “People Ive been sad” is so dramatic for no reason, and that is the essence of 2020: exaggeration of feelings. But I’m most impressed at how easy Xtine switches from singing in English to French without it sounding glaring. 

Favorite lyrics: “If you fall apart, then I’m falling behind you.” 

LIHrMp9.jpg

Etran Finatawa is a traditional West African band. The Disclosure brothers built this song off a sample of one their songs. The result is the most astonishing blend of House music & Afrobeat Ive ever heard. This genre of Dance has been slowly making waves since 2016, mostly lead by French DJs. Disclosure have dabbled in it in the past but I think this is one of their most successful attempts. The song can be a lot but I’m very familiar with African music (no Im not talking about The Gift lol) so this is very digestible for me and it always makes me feel very nostalgic. The buildup is purposefully repetitive, which makes the drop even more blissful. 

Y6z572U.jpg

I always consume Ambient music as albums, as a mood, a moment. It’s rare that one particular song stays with me beyond that. And this year it was Your Favourite Building. The instrumental is lush, dreamy and dynamic while remaining very soothing and comforting. Basically the complete package. And in a very unusual form, Khotin invites a kid (probably his son) to sing “wonderful” and it’s so touching and adorable and the perfect way to wake up from the dream that is this song. 

Favorite lyrics: “It’s so wonderful. The world is so wonderful”

iPVMguo.jpg

Savage (well the whole Suga EP) was a mediocre and forgettable project until Tik Tok turned its chorus into the latest disposable trend. 

Then enter Beyoncé, who opens this new version of Savage with “Queen B, want no smoke with me” perhaps signaling that this is now Her song. No one elevates a song quite like Beyoncé. We’ve all heard those tragic demos that she turned to gold. Another thing that Beyoncé does very well, is grabbing the listener’s attention and insert herself into the current pop zeitgeist. This is something she usually does by doing a call to arms or by the use of horns or catchy tidbits (surfboard, becky, freakum dress etc...) But it’s 2020, everyone is glued to their phones... so of course she rises to the occasion. “Hips tik tok when I dance” Thats a checkmark for Tik Tok, guaranteeing a viral challenge. “On that Demon Time, she might start an onlyfan” instantly made Instagram and Twitter erupt. We literally had no choice but to stan. But that’s just the style, Savage Remix ends up being a fun and danceable song celebrating Bey & Megan’s hometown, and a powerful odd to self love and self care.

Favorite: “If you don’t jump to put jeans on, baby you don’t feel my pain” 

jwvjw6A.jpg

I was so ready to write Sufjan’s album off, like most people did, based on the singles (literally the worst songs on the album.) Thankfully all my fears instantly evaporated with his opening track. And OH MY GOD, what an experience!! The song starts out as a sweet church organ ballad. But that was a deceiving move as the track quickly evolves into a glitchy and spellbinding number. Drums, harps, piano, synths, weird vocal samples, and even some random yelling, everything is thrown at the listener. The result is an otherworldly wall of sound punctuated by a frenetic electronic beep. I’m often overwhelmed and breathless after listening to this 5 minutes journey. 

Favorite lyrics: “There’s no time for innocence.”

emggOyz.jpg

Building on a scattered and chaotic R&B sample, New Jade naturally wanders into maximalism territory. Caribou said in an interview that he wanted his album to be a mix of modern HipHop and outlandish electronic. Well, this might be it because every beat, click and sample feels like it’s in your face. There’s also a sense of rush and time running out that is present, which aligns with the lyrics (they are about a new beginning, a second chance at happiness after a breakup.) It’s optimistic without being cheesy. The entirety of the song feels like one big hook, which is something Caribou excels at. 

Favorite lyrics: “it’s like a new first kiss”

QxR2UE4.jpg

If you want sad James Blake back, this song is not for you. The man is happy now and his music reflects that. And as I always say, it’s much harder to write a good happy song than a good sad song. James uses elusive and abstract lyrics to describe an unbelievable romance. The production is very much “old James Blake” with some Metro Boomin influence, but elevated thanks to an orchestra. The result is a heavenly track that feels like the most beautiful flower opening up with every music note. Imagine being this in love. 

Favorite lyrics: “Late nights I can see the lust in her”

Edited by Blue Rose

GUTbJqT.jpg

The song opens with 30 seconds of one the most hypnotic drum loops Ive ever heard. This captivating instrumental is balanced by Perfume Genius soft and highly emotional voice which he uses to convey total submission to his lover. The lyrics are unapologetically sexual. Without sugar coating it, he is a masc sub bottom having sex, and of course he’s filming it, just to add more drama to the scene. Despite all this information, the instrumental remains the most attractive part of the song as the drums get a major lift from strings and brass instruments. And as if that wasn’t enough, the drums take a glitchy turn into Afrobeat creating a groovy and psychedelic background for the outro. 

Favorite lyrics: “Give me your weight Im solid”

5921Bqf.jpg

I have an entire video planned for this song in my mind. The only other song that has had this effect on me is Lorde’s Perfect Places. That’s just a testament of how cinematic the storytelling of What’s Your Pleasure? is. I imagine there’s a sinister backstory behind all the flirting and display of sensuality. Everything seems rosy on the surface but Jessie’s love is either not reciprocated or her lover has done something hurtful to her. It’s straight out of a 60s sitcom. The outro really brings that home with Jessie’s begging voice almost cracking with sadness as her lover throws everything back at her. The masterstroke is how effortlessly Jessie plays with fetishism and fairytale romanticism at the same time. And when you listen to the album, you cant wait to see where this story will go. 

Favorite lyrics: “Push. Press. More. Less.”

qjTr1kL.jpg

Probably the “simplest” song in my entire countdown. Sometimes it’s not about experimenting or reinventing the wheel. It all comes down to how the song makes you feel. This extremely heartbreaking yet romantic piano ballad, full of vivid imagery, has sent chills down my spine countless times, and its effect is still not lost on me. The accompanying brass and strings instruments, and subtle drums lift this track to new and magnificent heights. So the song is actually not that simple. It has several elements and live instruments working in perfect harmony, letting the piano, the beautiful lyrics and the king of melancholia Matt Berninger take the spotlight. That’s the true beauty of All For Nothing, it’s simple and beautiful but the real reward unfolds the more you listen and all the colors of the track come to life. This is one of those sad but comforting songs that I know I will cherish forever. 

Favorite lyrics: “standing in the quicksand with a smiling face” 

Edited by Blue Rose

Spoiler

@jpow as promised Disclosure have redeemed themselves 

Thank you everyone for making this fun and for supporting my eclectic taste

tenor.gif?w=696&ssl=1

• ATRL Moderator

Disclosure coming in top 10 :clap3: 

WYP? at #2 too :clap3: Excellent taste :clap3: 

You reminded me that I need to finish mine after not updating for like a week lmao

What's Your Pleasure?, New Jade and Make Me An Offer...

Great way to end the countdown. :clap3:

Physical, AH and WYP? making the top 20, see when you have taste..

also Disclosure making the top 10, they're underrated :clap3:

• ATRL Moderator

WYP storming these top 10s recently, im so proud.

interesting disclosure/sufjan/caribou picks, NOT that im complaining though!  i also love christine being here :)

ok, listening to the #1 rn.  its touching.  loved the vocals.

Jessie just keeps snatching everyones lists and I have no idea who she is skskksk

People I've Been Sad and WYP are absolutely amazing choices, but that's obvious, whole top 10 is cute

I listened to the #1 and it's a good song however I'd prefer if it was longer, built up to something even bigger!!

Both versions of Savage don't really do it for me :mandown: It's one of those 2020 hits that I wanted to like, but it's not bad or anything. WYP? at #2 oh yes :sats: But wow you've only imagined music videos for 2 songs? I do that all the time, live performances too. Both of your lists were solid :party:

Whats Your Pleasure whew :jonny5: EVERYONE stanning Jessie here :jonny5:

People I've Been Sad is a great track too and it's great to see Christine getting the acclaim she deserves :clap3:

7 hours ago, KasioKas said:

Jessie just keeps snatching everyones lists and I have no idea who she is skskksk

You must check out Whats Your Pleasure. The album is excellent and it does live up to the hype.

What's Your Pleasure? :jamming:

I don't speak French but I'd love to sing People, I've Been Sad one day at karaoke :weeps: Great Disclosure pick!

Oh wow your written story for What's Your Pleasure, I would like to see it.gif. Flawless song!

people i’ve been sad was really helped by the pandemic tbh, an isolation ANTHEM! 

savage :WAP: 

make me an offer i cannot refuse is a cute album opener but there are many better tracks on the album :mandown: 

oh wow your top 3...

your body is a standout from his album yes :clap3: 

what’s your pleasure wow i’m surprised to see it in so many people’s top 10s. thought it would’ve been a different song!

oh matt being #1 :eek: i like the song, just unexpected to see it top anything 

People I've Been Sad making into top 10 :alexz: I love entire EP, but this one really stands-out, it's so emotional

What's Your Pleasure is MASTERPIECE :jonny5: and gosh, how hot she looks in MV

1 hour ago, prézli said:

Jessie slays everywhere. :rip: Where were these people when they should've bought her music?

well I bought the vinyl and I stream basically every day on Apple Music :alexz2:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.