madonnas best of 2020 - AOTY ANNOUNCED

madonnas

17 hours ago, Madame X said:

117.  carly rae jepsen - lets be friends

genre: dance pop

for fans of: britney jean

i love this song so much but it was kind of panned upon release. i just liked that it was a new vibe and tone for carly, plus its fun to sing along to.  she serves bratty kesha "raps" sometimes.

:bibliahh:

Sis get your heel off my NECK! It's a cute little song.

• Replies 542
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• madonnas

• Blue Rose

• Legend E

• Ewan Chaos

• ATRL Moderator

not a huge stan of anything in this set, soz

A735dH7.thumb.png.a454fc642bf099b87a6f49

Summer Love I'm gonna be honest is a bit of an overrated pick. It's great mind you, but, it's literally all I've seen from people's lists nnn ODDLY I've seen Let's Be Friends the NEXT most on lists, that surprised me. Next I'm gonna see Me and the Boys in the Band high on people's lists maybe?!?!? Wouldn't be mad but.

That's a pretty good Adam pick, yeah. Cute album too.

Interesting that you didn't care for Jamie xx's 2015 album. I find this year's effort cute, but barely could pass as a B-side from his debut.

scream and stay tonight are two of the very best kpop songs this year. summer of love reminded me of seven nation army, my fave on the side b is lets sort the whole thing out, i love me some kidz bop. 

Stay Tonight :WAP:

10 hours ago, Madame X said:

99.  carly rae jepsen - summer love

It blew my mind when you recommended Carly to Tame Impala fans. Had to check that out! I feel tempted to listen to the whole album now. :jamming:

Love Not Loving You YUP Louisa came out of the gate running with that one! Ray Guns and Sit/Stay :jamming: Let's Be Friends is cute, not "for fans of: britney jean" :skull: No wonder why so many people hate it. august, only the best song on folklore absolutely!!! Still think Summer Love is overrated, she's cutesy though! Is that... some Adam Lambert appreciation I see? Happy to know i'm not the only one that remembers his existence, he stays underrated and for what?

Haven't listened to Superpower in a while but it's a cute bop!

Let me give that Jamie xx song a listen

the stay tonight and scream praise :jonny5:

I started getting into dreamcatcher's music really late this year and I absolutely love their style :heart2:

Summer Love connection to Shura... very interesting, I would actually love her to go in this direction, consider her next album was just cute next to gorgeous

Stay Tonight Chung Has best this year easily

160-131: Pick Up Your Feelings and Impact :clap3: 

130-101: Not really familiar with anything here. SAD! :thing: 

100-91: Same as before but I'm interested in the clipping and Jamie xx tracks!

Summer Love a banger

cupcakke's decline is so sad to me, she just decided to be a run-of-the-mill female rapper didn't she? 

Stay Tonight a cute bop

I saved the Dreamcatcher album ever since February but never got to listen to it :thing:

20 hours ago, Madame X said:

92.  jamie xx - idontknow

genre: uk bass

for fans of: idk, aal? the xx?

i feel like everyone has been fans of jamie xx forever but im just catching up.  nothing he released previously caught my attention

nnnn he literally has my favorite song of the last decade

but yaaass welcome to the club. idontknow coming for top20 on my list :worship2:

Summer Love is cute but the demo > :mandown:
I used to stan CupcakKe a biT but she soured on me. She's still talented tho
Stay Tonight excellence

21 hours ago, Madame X said:

92.  jamie xx - idontknow

genre: uk bass

for fans of: idk, aal? the xx?

i feel like everyone has been fans of jamie xx forever but im just catching up.  nothing he released previously caught my attention so i kinda gave up, luckily i stumbled on this banger and am glad i did. the song is pretty much all the second half, but the first half makes you wait for the explosive beat, which makes it a more satisfying listening experience.  its pretty much one great line that slightly alters throughout the entire rest of the song lol.

I feel like I'm the opposite lol. I haven't liked any of his recent stuff!

also the britney Jean bit sent me :deadbanana2:

• ATRL Moderator

W1e4XLd.png

90.  yves tumor - kerosene!

genre: psychedelic rock, glam rock

for fans of: janelle monae, prince, ariel pink?

yves tumor is a masterful genre bender, like noid it kinda sounds like 00s third eye blind vocals meets psychedelic instrumentals.  this one is waaaaaay more rock influenced tho and the guitars carry the track.  diana also does a great amazing job at making this duet stand out on his album.

89. jessie ware - soul control

genre: nu disco

for fans of: jessy lanza, the galleria

omg! im sure not many of you know who the galleria is, its this producer morgan geist and jessy lanza who make freestyle revival.  i stan them.  this is the one song he produced on whats your pleasure, and its the only jessie song on the list.  just kidding!  its obviously the first of many.  if youre looking for an uptempo bop this is the best selection because of the amazing freestyle influences.

88.  the weeknd - blinding lights

genre: synthwave, dancepop

for fans of: girl its the biggest hit of the year you've heard it already.

yeah this is 100% going to be a classic song that defines this decade.  we all know it.  nothing more to say that its just a really really really really really good hook, synth and vocal. 

87.  dua lipa - levitating

genre: nu disco

for fans of: yeah, im not doing this for dua either. 

yeah, one of my fave future nostalgia tracks.  me, personally? i enjoy it because the fast paced singing reminds me of the ketchup song by asereje.  thats a classic too.  levitating got many remixes, but im going with the original.  the dababy version is a good remix though and i will not accept slander of it!  this is the gay bop that we all thought should be a single only for it to inevitably flop (in america at least).  a classic atrl moment and a classic atrl song.

86.  flo milli - pussycat doll

genre: hip hop

for fans of: cher lloyd, city girls

i LOVE flo milli and i love that everything she says sounds like a spoiled 16 year old high schooler.  shes got an infectious personality and pussycat doll is one of the best songs on her mixtape.  i like it because its got a more robust hook c ompared to some songs which dont have any hooks at all (not complaining though).  really though, its so consistent i could stick any song on here and it'd work.

85.  pop smoke - dior

genre: hip hop, drill

for fans of: shygirl, playboi carti

i love his really REALLY deep voice.  it makes the song pop and his flow is really solid and the instrumental is an eclectic mix of samples and loops.  theres some homophobia in it though, oops, sorry i still like the song.  rip.

84.  tei shi - ok crazy

genre: synth pop

for fans of: romy, nelly furtado

i love love how this chorus is high energy but she delivers it in the most deadpan, flat way.  its just a little thing that makes the song more of an earworm.  actually she's way more passionate on the verses.  i also generally love the feel that this song was recorded, and then sped up x1.25.

83.  jennifer touch - teflon

genre: ebm, post punk

for fans of: ionnalee, chromatics

this girl is super super underrated.  its got a nice pulsating voice, and she has great 80s new wave goth vocals that are mixed pretty distantly in the song.  like a siouxsie impersonator doing a heavily ebm influenced song.  while this is a new wave and post punk influenced album and project definitely, its got the feel of an instrumental album where the vocals are not supposed to be the main thing you pay attention (whether quality or melody).  its very repetitive in the best way.

82.  kali uchis - aqui no mando

genre: pop rnb, pop rap

for fans of: rico nasty singing in spanish

rico nasty sings in spanish and its actually good, who knew!  this is the biggest single-worthy song from kali's gorgeous spanish language album.  i seriously recommend listening to this, its got a killer hook.  i like kali's spanish much better than her english tbh.  its kali's most mainstream sounding song to me, but it doesn't feel like a sellout.

81.  empress of - love is a drug

genre: synth pop

for fans of: robyn, buscabulla

YES queen, give me that 90% chorus 10% verse song.  what helps is that the chorus is very repetitive and very addictive, in fact, the hook on the chorus kinda bleeds into the verses.    a pattern with my fave songs on albums are usually that i prefer the repetitive songs.  i have a short attention span, so give me one really good element and just repeat it please.

• ATRL Moderator
Spoiler
2 hours ago, Macchi said:

I feel like I'm the opposite lol. I haven't liked any of his recent stuff!

also the britney Jean bit sent me :deadbanana2:

mess, everyone dragging me for not caring for jamie xx's stuff.  i never bothered much to give it a second chance so th ats my bad!

2 hours ago, Psycho said:

Summer Love is cute but the demo > :mandown:
I used to stan CupcakKe a biT but she soured on me. She's still talented tho
Stay Tonight excellence

she's super talented.  i think she just had personal **** going on, hoepfully she can reach a new level of artistry.

4 hours ago, Blue Rose said:

nnnn he literally has my favorite song of the last decade

but yaaass welcome to the club. idontknow coming for top20 on my list :worship2:

jamie?! which one is it?!

4 hours ago, bestfiction said:

Summer Love a banger

cupcakke's decline is so sad to me, she just decided to be a run-of-the-mill female rapper didn't she? 

Stay Tonight a cute bop

I saved the Dreamcatcher album ever since February but never got to listen to it :thing:

LISTEN TO DREAMCATCHER, its a good kpop lp, rare these days (actually always rare no offense)

6 hours ago, Pink Matter said:

160-131: Pick Up Your Feelings and Impact :clap3: 

130-101: Not really familiar with anything here. SAD! :thing: 

100-91: Same as before but I'm interested in the clipping and Jamie xx tracks!

you should listen to clipping's album, everyone who has heard it has said they liked it!

7 hours ago, BlackoutZone said:

Summer Love connection to Shura... very interesting, I would actually love her to go in this direction, consider her next album was just cute next to gorgeous

Stay Tonight Chung Has best this year easily

dedicated is underrated but DSB was msotly unnecessary.  please go a funk/disco direction (but more jessie than dua... itd work better for carly) or mabye a punky dream pop direcvtion? she could pull off dream pop too tbh.

7 hours ago, ikiru said:

the stay tonight and scream praise :jonny5:

I started getting into dreamcatcher's music really late this year and I absolutely love their style :heart2:

i have loved them since the moment i heard their first song chase me :rip: they sound like anime theme songs i stan that.

10 hours ago, potent said:

Haven't listened to Superpower in a while but it's a cute bop!

Let me give that Jamie xx song a listen

everyone stanning adam, we are shook.

13 hours ago, Remmy said:

Love Not Loving You YUP Louisa came out of the gate running with that one! Ray Guns and Sit/Stay :jamming: Let's Be Friends is cute, not "for fans of: britney jean" :skull: No wonder why so many people hate it. august, only the best song on folklore absolutely!!! Still think Summer Love is overrated, she's cutesy though! Is that... some Adam Lambert appreciation I see? Happy to know i'm not the only one that remembers his existence, he stays underrated and for what?

he kinda is forgagaten to a lot of people which is sad.  he has talent but sometimes his album cuts are corny.  but thats to be expected from american idol alum.  mess, i like britney jean!

14 hours ago, Sunderland 4ever said:

It blew my mind when you recommended Carly to Tame Impala fans. Had to check that out! I feel tempted to listen to the whole album now. :jamming:

i think its the isntrumental gives me currents vibes! the rest of the album isn't like that unfortunately.  i'd rather just recommend dedicated instead lol 

16 hours ago, Ava Max said:

Stay Tonight :WAP:

:jonny: queen of multiple hooks.

16 hours ago, pearlmercury said:

scream and stay tonight are two of the very best kpop songs this year. summer of love reminded me of seven nation army, my fave on the side b is lets sort the whole thing out, i love me some kidz bop. 

i love lstwto too, i tthink we're the only two people who like it tho.  it would be my third carly entry if i decided to give her 3 (i didn't)

16 hours ago, Ewan Chaos said:

Summer Love I'm gonna be honest is a bit of an overrated pick. It's great mind you, but, it's literally all I've seen from people's lists nnn ODDLY I've seen Let's Be Friends the NEXT most on lists, that surprised me. Next I'm gonna see Me and the Boys in the Band high on people's lists maybe?!?!? Wouldn't be mad but.

That's a pretty good Adam pick, yeah. Cute album too.

Interesting that you didn't care for Jamie xx's 2015 album. I find this year's effort cute, but barely could pass as a B-side from his debut.

im kinda also surprised at lets be friends too.  i remember the super negative reaction.  i like the instrumental to me and the boys in the band a lot tho ctually, but it doesn't really stay in my head after i finish listening.  

17 hours ago, Legend E said:

not a huge stan of anything in this set, soz

well, do your research then come back

21 hours ago, Reinvention said:

:bibliahh:

Sis get your heel off my NECK! It's a cute little song.

i am a britney jean apologist so its a good thing.  trash pop is a legitimate artistic style!

22 hours ago, Claw said:

Not legs spreading like corona, oh boy. Yeah so Summer Love was really the only Side B song that's clicked with me. Good choice for City Girls - and I've been liking Chai's droplets, but just finding out about the one you mentioned. Good place for Idontknow. I loved xx debut back in the day (they kind of pioneered Chill Vibes), but since then I definitely prefer their clubbier stuff to when they make slow pop.

i remember you stanned their plastic love cover.  i wonder if the droplets will materialize into an album... i knda hope not and they give us 100% fresh/new material.

xx definitely had the biggest impact on early 10s music.  their imitators were EVERYWHERE

22 hours ago, TheWayWeWere said:

Carly's Dedicated Side B was a bit forgettable for me, but this one was cute 

yeah, thats basically how i feel too.

22 hours ago, Oni said:

Georgia's Ray Guns is pretty good, though Mellow and Started Out >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

agree, though those were 2019 songs i think.  shygirl collabs ALWAYS WIN.

23 hours ago, GreatestLoveofAll said:

YESSSS omg Adam's entire album is such a bop have you listened to it? Loverboy and Overglow whew :ihype:

yes those were my other faves!! singles were gr8 in general. but overglow too.

23 hours ago, Kevin2803 said:

I need to listen to Summer Love again. I don't remember much of Side B, to be honest. I'm sure it's good tho :alexz2:

me neither!  butr do listen to summer love.

23 hours ago, ARTPØP said:

Summer Love truly is THE song of side B :heart::alexz2:

the acclaim that it has!

On 12/8/2020 at 11:49 AM, mokitsu said:

well... that's all of their discog hihih. gonna check it out tho cuz i skipped their album.

CHAI were confusing af this year i agree. i like that one nd the Hinds collab the most. idontknow his best song easily. stay tonight :clap3:

ok thats true, but this is def their best song in a while.  the albums an improvement from their last, but not fantastic.

the hinds song kinda confused me.  its ok.  i thnk i like their more energetic and edgy sounds.

On 12/8/2020 at 11:40 AM, JGibson said:

Superpower :jamming:

:clap3: 

Hallucinate outsold so I'm hoping that one is higher on your list. :eli:

Yves Tumor as well, the taste buds. :heart:

Kerosene is so hot + the amazing video

yay BL + Dior. I can’t tell if the line is really that homophobic or not but oh well I guess that’s up to each of us. Song is def an anthem.  Kali’s album was great. Levitating, that’s just... a song I can’t get into that much. Beautiful gowns, though.

Levitating :gaygacat5::gaygacat5:Blinding Lights :clap3::clap3:

Levitating :katie2:

although I personally favor the Blessed Madonna version

1 hour ago, Madame X said:

87.  dua lipa - levitating

yeah, one of my fave future nostalgia tracks.  me, personally? i enjoy it because the fast paced singing reminds me of the ketchup song by asereje.  thats a classic too.  l

:bibliahh: Get yourself a fave who "samples: Asereje and INXS  on the same album

Edited by BlackoutZone

Love Is a Drug + OK crazy :jamming: "i love love how this chorus is high energy but she delivers it in the most deadpan, flat way." Same, it's very interesting. #87-89, a 1-2-3 punch oh yes! Blinding Lights is an obvious 2020 highlight and Soul Control is my favorite from WYP? :sats::sats::sats:

On 12/7/2020 at 12:23 AM, Madame X said:

148.  miley cyrus - wtf do i know

genre: pop rock

for fans of: cant be tamed, 80s cheese.

yeah, this is a really really good intro to her album, its a song that works as a "this is the new me" statement.  and, in spite of it being miley cyrus, i actually buy it!

REALLY good song, I loke rock Miley

On 12/8/2020 at 4:51 AM, Madame X said:

119.  brandy - borderline

genre: modern rnb

for fans of: idk, brandy i guess

brandy is the queen of amazing vocal runs and thats all this song is pretty much. 

117.  carly rae jepsen - lets be friends

genre: dance pop

for fans of: britney jean

i love this song so much but it was kind of panned upon release. i just liked that it was a new vibe and tone for carly, plus its fun to sing along to.  she serves bratty kesha "raps" sometimes.

Period. re: Brandy. Vocal layering always amazes me.

LBF was meh

Soul Control one of my faves on the album :katie2:
Blinding Lights, Levitating classics :clap3:
Love Is A Drug slaps :katie2:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.