madonnas best of 2020 - AOTY ANNOUNCED

madonnas

• ATRL Moderator
18 minutes ago, Madame X said:

Sorry y’all my bf went to the hospital yesterday (he’s ok) so I couldn’t get anything done.  

expect Friday night Saturday morning for the first updates.  Lemme comment on y’all lists now 

Sending you and your bf some good thoughts :heart: glad everything is okay!

• Replies 542
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• madonnas

• Blue Rose

• Legend E

• Ewan Chaos

59 minutes ago, Madame X said:

Sorry y’all my bf went to the hospital yesterday (he’s ok) so I couldn’t get anything done.  

expect Friday night Saturday morning for the first updates.  Lemme comment on y’all lists now 

Sorry to hear and glad that he's okay.

1 hour ago, Madame X said:

glad he's ok sis !! :heart:

3 hours ago, Madame X said:

Hope everything will be alright, send them love from ATRLers :heart:

• ATRL Moderator

dBUC2GO.png

25.  love regenerator - love regenerator 1

genre: house/acid house

descriptors: 

for fans of: anything calvin harris does, fans of early 00s electronic revival

best songs: theres only 2, but i'd say cp-1

so this is one of calvin's many eps released this year.  turns out he released many.  well, i didnt know about that until i was compiling my eps.  i only listened to it when it came out but i did enjoy it.  calvin kinda just jumps on whatever trends that appear but he has the decency to be about 6-12 months ahead of the curve, so i guess expect more mainstream music to sound like this? prob wont happen but it would be nice.

24.  kai - kai the first mini album

genre: kpop

descriptors: sexy, dark

for fans of: taemin

best songs: amnesia, nothing on me

the first track is the weakest on this tbh.  its sorta that taemin synth pop meets sexy rnb crooner kpop, so if youre into that.  the member is from exo who im not that big of a fan of, but i guess enough to pay attention to some solo minis.  

23.  raye - euphoric love songs

genre: nu-disco, synthpop

descriptors: bright, club, basic

for fans of: future nostalgia

best songs: regardless, natalie dont

so this is pretty hit and miss but overall i'd say half of an ep being a hit is generally good.  forreal though, this shouldn't be an ep.  its 9 songs and 30+ minutes lol.  thats an lp.  oh well, luckily for her she classified it as an ep so she gets to be at the tail end on one of my lists.  the club songs that sound like future nostalgia rejects are the best.

22.  tei shi - die 4 ur love

genre: synthpop

descriptors: eclectic, detached, moody

for fans of: christine and the queens, empress of

best songs: ok crazy, die 4 ur love

you know im glad that she was able to give us an eclectic ep, it sort of reminds me of sky's ghost ep in that way, where she gave us a super diverse ep before dropping an album that blew all our minds.  heres to her next album sounding like ok crazy!

21.  megan thee stallion - suga

genre: southern hip hop

descriptors: cocky, minimal

for fans of: female mcs

best songs: captain hook, savage

ok why does this ep have better production value than her own debut album? lets talk about that.  because i really dont know why.  so this has sharp production and good bars.  the beats are minimal but feel like people put effort into them.  too bad theres about 3 songs where she tries to sing, and none of them are as good as dont rock me to sleep.

20.  kitty - charm and mirror

genre: cloud rap, synthpop, chillwave

descriptors: dreamy, summer

for fans of: chillwave revival.

best songs: baby pink, bath salts

so kitty is now doing chillwave type music and its pretty good.  i feel like she's destined to make a bunch of pretty good eps that nobody ever pays attention to.  this is not her best, but still worth checking out for fans.

19.  park hye jin - how can i

genre: house

descriptors: sad girl, whispercore

for fans of: yaeji, outsider house

best songs: like this, how can i

her last ep had one or two songs carry it, while this one is far more consistent and varied.  theres even a trap song (that everybody but me hated but shhh).  she's a good artist, i want a full length from her, i love her detached mumbling with sad house beats.  even though i liked this i feel like she can do more though, and she will.  i speak that into existence

18. planet 1999 - devotion

genre: chillwave, synthpop

descriptors: sad, bedroom

for fans of: pc music, chillwave revival

best songs: party, devotion

the two 'best songs' are sooooooooooooo good, i guess its pc music affiliated, but its bedroom chillwave/sad pop music.  so its a nice spin on music that was popular 8-11 years ago, if youre into that.  i am.

17.  itzy - not shy

genre: kpop, pop rap

descriptors: obnoxious, shouting

for fans of: kpop girl groups

best songs: i dont gve a what, id

i like this mini a lot.  theres a lot of poorly produced, loud catchy pop songs.  its kinda refreshing given how kpop is so produced.  plus, the title track is far from the best, so its very listenable from start to finish (rare for a mini!)

16.  cakes da killa / proper villains - muvaland

genre: hip house

descriptors: cocky, club

for fans of: azealia banks?

best songs: icu, don dada

oh yes, cakes is back!  this is a really really good release but it came so late i didn't get to spend enough time with it!  its very very club oriented so if you like hip hop with club/house music you're gonna love this. 

• ATRL Moderator

i managed to get together my EPs list before i thought!  well here it is, btw, thanks for the well wishes, everyone :heart2: 

Hope you and your bf are doing well, thinking of you both :heart:

RE the EPs:

Love Regenerator is... a bit **** imo LOL, I fear it's gonna sound like I only enjoy "Calvin songs with vocalists" which is not the case, just neither song stuck with me like... at all minus the Steve Lacy one.

Hmm seeing some buzz on this Raye girl, I'll check her out. Tea on OK crazy for Tei Shi and Suga was fun too! I always mean to check Kitty out but always forget nnn.

Also the full lowercase... what are you Ariana/Taylor?

• ATRL Moderator
1 minute ago, Ewan Chaos said:

Hope you and your bf are doing well, thinking of you both :heart:

RE the EPs:

Love Regenerator is... a bit **** imo LOL, I fear it's gonna sound like I only enjoy "Calvin songs with vocalists" which is not the case, just neither song stuck with me like... at all minus the Steve Lacy one.

Hmm seeing some buzz on this Raye girl, I'll check her out. Tea on OK crazy for Tei Shi and Suga was fun too! I always mean to check Kitty out but always forget nnn.

Also the full lowercase... what are you Ariana/Taylor?

i realized i was doing that after having typed a bit and just wanted to keep it up for consistency's sake :rip:  

as for raye, i think you'd like natalie dont.

No cause... I started reading the list and was like "ahhh :clap3:" and then I saw they are all below Not Shy :confused:

Switch its place with KAI's mini which was really good and imo better than most of TAEMIN's output this year :mandown:

1 hour ago, BlackoutZone said:

No cause... I started reading the list and was like "ahhh :clap3:" and then I saw they are all below Not Shy :confused:

LMFAOOOOOO same

park hye jin, kai and tei shi ate :clap3: let me check out cake cuz i didnt know he came back.

wait @ kitty coming back too :deadbanana2:i checked out her album last year and it was honestly dreadful but im listening to the EP and its already much better omg

11 hours ago, Madame X said:

19.  park hye jin - how can i

I like this one. It's got a couple of tracks with really nice beats.

Yeah raye's ep was not her best work, I expected better. 

kai, raye and planet 1999 wow :jonny5: let me just ignore the fact that they’re all below itzy :skull:

• ATRL Moderator

wow oh wow at the amount of taste already but that's to be expected with you :clap3:

I forgot about Calvin's little side project until now, but he had several bops that came out from that. 

I've been listening to more Tei Shi after seeing her in several lists and I'm really liking what I hear.  The title track is a bop :WAP:

ITZY slaying, though nothing from their EP is as good as ICY imo

I use Nothing On Me, Amnesia and Ride Or Die from KAI but I only listened like twice so far nnn

Not Shy is cute, but Surf and Be In Love are great B-sides

RAYE was so good :clap3:

I loved Love Regenerator by Calvin. Bit I didn’t bother listening to part 2 :lmao: 

Raye’s album is solid too 

Ahh so glad you update. Hope everything is alright :heart:

The descriptions are definitely interesting but i'm screaming at Itzy description though :ahh: You aren't lying nn

But i really interested with Tei Shi since my friends has been recommended her music to me for quite sometime. I also haven't listen to Kai & Raye. I should check it out

• ATRL Moderator

R6Qlqoq.png

15.  harunemuri - lovetheism

genre: indie rock, power pop

descriptors: stream of consciousness, noisy

for fans of: jpop, indie rock

best songs: riot, track 2

ok so for fans of her last studio album, this is probably the most similar release in that vein.  stream of consciousness talking, nice guitar riffs with a nice hip hop/noise pop blend.

14.  isabella lovestory - mariposa

genre: neoperreo, reggaeton

descriptors: sexual, party

for fans of: ms nina, bad gyal

best songs: mariposa, kitten heel

i REALLY love the title track on this ep but the rest of the entire ep is pretty solid.  the guest rapper on it i could take or leave, but yeah, if you like the new sorta digital reggaeton sound thats popping up online this is an essential release for it imo. seriously check it out because its super listener friendly, its accessible for people who like all genres.

13.  pva - toner

genre: ebm, synth pop

descriptors: deadpan, cold

for fans of: daf, tr/st

best songs: exhausts/surroundings, talks

i love when people are influenced from the 80s punk/synth scenes, this is a new up and coming back, and they are good at what they do.  nothing groundbreaking but still its not derivative or boring.

12.  loona - 12:00

genre: kpop

descriptors: cartoonish

for fans of: loona, itzy

best songs: hide & seek, why not

ah, well, FINALLY.  it happened.  we got a good loona release.  a good full group one that is, because they have good subunit releases obv.  it feels like they're going through all the different kpop trends with blinding lights copycats, itzy soundalike songs, and then their own signature sound with why not, but its definitely a collection of good songs. 

11.  magdalena bay - a little rhythm and a wicked feeling

genre: synth pop

descriptors: sexy, slow

for fans of: grimes, the pc music clique

best songs: how to get physical, killshot, good intentions

magdalena bay have some really good mini mixes but this ep was a more traditional approach so there are a lot more typical pop songs here.  its a good way to get into them, even though its not their best release.  how to get physical and killshot are their best 'bops' while good intentions is the more experimental song thats a production showcase.  there are also moments where they do slow ballads/midtempos to prove they can. 

10.  koto - 琴虎飯店

genre: jpop, bubblegum

descriptors: cartoonish, manic

for fans of: pc music, jpop

best songs: track 2, theres only 3 songs lol.

koto is one of my favorite artists if you can't tell from my previous lists, she has a super high-bpm style jpop thats super maximal.  heres another 3 tracks from her that give her fans exactly what they wanted.

9.  molina - vanilla shell

genre: dream pop, synth pop

descriptors: ethereal, slow

for fans of: tamaryn

best songs: venus, parasito

so she released a song that was on my songs list last year, and now she's back with an ep.  its ethereal wave stuff for people who like dreamy synth pop. i think its very underrated so check it out.

8.  troye sivan - in a dream

genre: synth pop

descriptors: super gay

for fans of: gay pop music, charli

best songs: stud, take yourself home

this is suuuuch an improvement from his album.  its got all the good qualities from it but with more interesting instrumentals instead of emotion retreads. 

7.  blue hawaii - under 1 house

genre: house, synth pop

descriptors: nostalgia, retro

for fans of: peggy gou, italio disco

best songs: not my boss, no drama

blue hawaii realized that nobody wants a worse version of little dragon and so they have fully embraced the italio disco/diva vocal/house tracks.  this is a super retro ep (its technically a mixtape? its 6 songs so too bad, its an ep for me) for people who like... dance music, indie bops, italio disco, etc. 

6.  myss keta - Il cielo non è un limite

genre: hip house, art pop

descriptors: deconstructed club, edgy

for fans of: cakes da killa, azealia banks

best songs: due, photoshock

myss keta just keeps getting better, this ep is one where every single song is good.  she started out a few years ago as an artist mixing artsy club music with hip hop.  its italian so idk the lyrics except when she said "**** capitalism" lmao. 

i only know troye and loona's (love both). those descriptions got me interested though i'll check out some of them :celestial5:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.