madonnas best of 2020 - AOTY ANNOUNCED

madonnas

Jaguar & Ungodly hour are both great, I agree Jaguar's lyrics are kinda its highlight

• Replies 542
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• madonnas

• Blue Rose

• Legend E

• BlackoutZone

• ATRL Moderator
6 minutes ago, pinknblue said:

well I just noticed I can't even post threads :cries2:

whaaat!  im sure if  u ask in hq they might let u?

the only reason new members can't is cuz they dont want ppl signing up then spamming troll threads. 

5 hours ago, Madame X said:

22.  perfume genius - describe

genre: shoegaze, indie rock

for fans of: 90s music

so the kids online are calling this 'shoegaze country'?

SCREAMING :lmao:

It just sounds like an emotional indie rock song with an Ambient outro to me. Then again, his songs are very hard to pit down when it

comes to the genres. The song is stunning and thats what really matters 

On 12/14/2020 at 12:55 PM, Madame X said:

nooo you're not doing songs lists!!!!! well, im still looking forward to your tp albums, ngl i felt like i was behind and was like "at least ewan isn't even finished with his albums, we'll finish late together" mess. 

nnnn hey this is my first year doing ranked lists okay I figured standalone songs would suffice! Though my sellout era has gotten me the most amount of people checking my Best Of so maybe next year I'll do a proper full songs list instead of just standalone songs.

That Gupi track SLAYS. Yeah I have no idea who the featured artist is or their contribution. Great Yelle pick, my top 3 (as you now know). KLK and Jaguar also great.

I'm literally listening to Rico's album right now and iPhone is a SLAY omg!!!!!!! Lowkey I'm glad I waited to listen until the album because I think it's my fave track. Ungodly Hour yep the correct best pick from CxH. Disclosure SNAPPED.

iPHONE!!!!!!!!!  love that track so much, very much a fun blend of her two most significant styles, i agree

Ungodly Hour is a great pick - definitely top 3 from that album

Also LOVE the ITZY track.  ITZY are the queens of quotable lyrics

• ATRL Moderator
1 hour ago, Ewan Chaos said:

nnnn hey this is my first year doing ranked lists okay I figured standalone songs would suffice! Though my sellout era has gotten me the most amount of people checking my Best Of so maybe next year I'll do a proper full songs list instead of just standalone songs.

That Gupi track SLAYS. Yeah I have no idea who the featured artist is or their contribution. Great Yelle pick, my top 3 (as you now know). KLK and Jaguar also great.

I'm literally listening to Rico's album right now and iPhone is a SLAY omg!!!!!!! Lowkey I'm glad I waited to listen until the album because I think it's my fave track. Ungodly Hour yep the correct best pick from CxH. Disclosure SNAPPED.

ok, ill give you a pass for that reason.  i8 might have one of my highest participation rates solely by the fact that im actually completing it and updating daily :rip:  thats what quarantine and unemployment does i guess.

I LOVE IPHONE SO MUCH.  yeah its the best on the album but theres other good stuff like ohfr/stfu/***** poppin.  i like smack a bitch too but thats old news i think its 3 years old..  they did a whole album together.  theres even a 'reverse' version of thos moser called mos thoser.  its pretty good! the original gupi album slightly better though. still dk who he is though.

2 hours ago, Legend E said:

ungodly hour is a masterpiece :alexz: 

as is the ablum its on!

3 hours ago, Blue Rose said:

SCREAMING :lmao:

It just sounds like an emotional indie rock song with an Ambient outro to me. Then again, his songs are very hard to pit down when it

comes to the genres. The song is stunning and thats what really matters 

i can see like, a tiny bit of bluegrass influence but yeah doing the most.  i luv it.  i just call him art pop/indie rock since those are super broad almost meaningless terms.  can't be wrong w that!

4 hours ago, TalkThatRihanna said:

Ungodly Hour :gaycat6:

:gaycat6:its their best song.

5 hours ago, KasioKas said:

Jaguar & Ungodly hour are both great, I agree Jaguar's lyrics are kinda its highlight

its why it superceded experience for me tbh...

5 hours ago, Remmy said:

Jaguar + Ungodly Hour :sats::sats::sats: Both great bops and great title tracks as well

There isn't one skip in Allie's discography :gaygacat1: As for SDPP if you get it you get it, if you don't you don't!

hmm, idk about that with allie, but the last couple EPs served quality.

6 hours ago, Claw said:

Whole Lotta Red coming Xmas :jonny5:

Just listened to CxH album and I shouldn't have waited all this time. Title track was def a highlight. Oh and KLK is amazing.

IPHONE >>>>>> it's higher on my list than yours. :eli:

WAIT you never heard it before today? really?! :deadbanana2: yeah i expect iphone top 10 for you, i feel like my top 30 is where i think all the songs are just gonna be classics for me.

7 hours ago, Valtersen said:

luv luv jaguar :duca:

:duca:  thanks sis.

8 hours ago, Psycho said:

Labyrinth is excellent, should have been the single over Crossroads
Not 23HRS :deadbanana: a bop
Ungodly Hour did that :clap3:

still can't believe crossroads is the single liek WHY  and omg im gonna keep that typo, its funny to me.

8 hours ago, BlackoutZone said:

not Shitzy and their stolen SOPHIE rihject being your #1!

Ungodly Hour and KLK amazing

I also thought labyrinth was the title :dies: 

i just KNEW there would be haters for my itzy pick.  NO REGRETS!

8 hours ago, ARTPØP said:

anthems really is such a banger :jonny6:

yes it is!  thats what she's best at dont let anybody tell u different.

9 hours ago, Beyonnaise said:

Yelle :heart: Definitely agree that it’s a callback to their earlier stuff, we had no choice but to restan.

I like that Gupi song too. Arca is very hit or miss for me (mostly on the miss side) but Rosalía sells it.

i wish i had loved their 2nd and 3rd albums but i just didn't, good stuff on it though.  but yelle is one of those artists that will have a good song ever few years so im always checking up on them. for me, i was never into arca until kick i.  but i might have to go give her another chance now :michael: 

9 hours ago, Insanity said:

Sle at Ungodly Hour :alexz:

their best :jonny: 

8 hours ago, pinknblue said:

KLK and @ meh are my favs here. iPhone is also cute, her voice meshes well with the 100 gecs sound.

yeah i was surprised to see it go that well.  she's really good on ringtone too.  i kinda wish there were more sounds like that on her debut but its her first official debut album so i get why they wanted to go with different sounds.

37 minutes ago, Madame X said:

ok, ill give you a pass for that reason.  i8 might have one of my highest participation rates solely by the fact that im actually completing it and updating daily :rip:  thats what quarantine and unemployment does i guess.

Who can relate? Woo!

• ATRL Moderator
3 hours ago, minho said:

iPHONE!!!!!!!!!  love that track so much, very much a fun blend of her two most significant styles, i agree

Ungodly Hour is a great pick - definitely top 3 from that album

Also LOVE the ITZY track.  ITZY are the queens of quotable lyrics

thank you for stanning itzy 24hrs with me :jonny: such a special song.  im glad you like iphone too, she needs more songs like that PLEASE

3 hours ago, Ewan Chaos said:

if theres any silver lining out of this **** year

at least i listened to a lot jessie ware!

omg Wallflower so high :jonny5:  easily my fave on that album ahhhh, I needed more songs like that but it's a lovely album anyway :clap3:

Don't Go Outside was cute at first but it really hit me after a while, she pulled it off so well + one of the best closers this year :smitten:

Soul Lady and anthems are big bops :katie2: kinda hate the Allie song, my least fave on the album :keir: also Throatzillaaaa > Self Destruct :-*

KLK one of my faves this year, Arca delivered :WAP: Labyrinth is cute enough but I much prefer MAGO and Apple tbh :jamming:

24HRS is terrible but in the best way possible :mandown: I didn't like Chloe x Halle's first album but I love the title track :-*

IPHONE was one of like... 3 great songs on that album and all were singles :fan: Victoria's EP is meh but Experience is so :smitten: Describe meh x

The Rico Nasty song is good.

But ugghhhh I don't know a lot of these entries, I need to stay informed 

its because yukika is city pop!  its what 80s pop sounded like in japan its a whole subgenre/niche.  say something is also a tribute to that era (as are a few other kpop songs).

yea i understand what city pop is, thanks to that random japanese song that went viral. but the way both yukika’s and twice’s start off just caught me off guard cuz they sounded really similar to me :skull: 

i’d type out my favourite part of klk, but idk if its just vocalisations or actual lyrics :toofunny2: 

24* hrs :clap3: i was shocked to find out it was sophie produced tbh :skull: 

wait what, i never thought of describe as country? :deadbanana: 

ungodly hour a BOP 

great update!

noir, klk and iphone are a huge bops!

24hrs the highest charting kpop song? wow interesting! i really love that song as well, it's their best song since dalla dalla! sophie really did that! :WAP:

the ungodly hour praise :alexz:

• ATRL Moderator

yeah im finishing the songs list today :rip: 

be prepared for 2 updates. 

• ATRL Moderator

4GMgtY6.png

20.  dua lipa - cool

genre: synth pop

for fans of: carly?

and cool wins the future nostalgia song contest.  its a breezy summery synthpop song, reminiscent of carly in the verses, but thats just a trap to lure you into the huge gigantic most memorable and singalongable chorus of future nostalgia, and theres still barely any disco except maybe the bassline.  do we care tho?

19.  bree runway - little nokia

genre: hip hop, noise pop

for fans of: charli, rico nasty

charli xcx + rico nasty = this?  i guess thats the best way to describe it.  the three highlights that made me pick it are the namechecking of pop superstars (and justin), the fact that it just ends with the bridge, and the sung non-chorus.  its really short, which adds to its appeal.  i love short songs.  more of them plz.

18.  jonsi - salt liquorice

genre: art pop

for fans of: robyn, ag cook productions

well, yeah this is the superior robyn collab of the year.  shes her best at large powerful emotional choruses and she and jonsi completely deliver.  its a beautiful duet where they both sing the chorus and switch off in the verses uh yeah.  its the stuttering beat, its when everything hits that final minute, its the fast synths that get louder and louder as the song goes.  future classic x

17.  rina sawayama - xs

genre: nu metal, bubblegum pop

for fans of: early 00s music

this is rina as rina is intended to sound.  this is the culmination of her talents, her experiences, and her visions.  rina was always a 2001 throwback artist (well, no, but ever since she started gaining fans she was).  its got that rnb lite darkchild sound (think no scrubs, britney, etc) meets the extremely guady nu metal of the time (think limp bizkit, korn).  love that the song is called xs, makes you think 'extra small' but then it subverts expectations and is talking about the excesses of capitalism, consumer culture, and greed.  what i like is that its totally more than just the whole britney+korn forumula that she does with a sweeet chorus and hard verses (or visa versa), she's got both of the influences popping in every 4-5 seconds. 

16.  aly & aj - joan of arc on the dance floor

genre: synth pop, italio disco

for fans of: sally shapiro

any song that references italio disco is a friend of mine.  a song about dancing your tears away, literally.  what i like about this is that this sound isnt as common (anymore) for the 80s referencing songs so it felt extremely fresh to hear.  they had been following the carly rae reject formula for their career for too long and they finally decided enough.  their best song tbh.  they will never top this its a masterpiece.  

15.  run the jewels - ju$t

genre: hip hop

for fans of: easy to digest political messaging. 

probably the most easily digestable message of the entire album, this song seems to be addressed at woke capitalists.  you can feel empowered by the money you make but at the end of the day you still are operating in a system founded on exploitation, hence the "look at all the slave masters posing on your dollar."  

14.  roisin murphy - shellfish madamoiselle

genre: nu disco

for fans of: songs that can be interpreted as covid references

a disco song with an amazing bassline and i think its about how dancing and hving fun can be 'inappropriate' at times.  its fitting for the pandemic era in a way that isnt heavy handed, and i just know some gay has used this song as an excuse to break quarantine.  lifes too short i guess!

13.  jessy lanza - face

genre: glitch pop, uk bass

for fans of: songs that are all over the place

this might be the most overproduced jessy lanza song ive ever heard.  and yes, i like that and thats why its so high.  usually shes just got a couple ideas that she fleshes out until the end but in face she throws everything but the kitchen sink at you, hope you like it!  the vocal run thats repeated toward the end is musical madness and musical magic :smitten2:

12.  jpegmafia - bald!

genre: hip hop, drumnbass

for fans of: cloud rap

jpegmafia's first single this year ended up being his strongest.  actually, his strongest song.  its got a cloud rap drumnbass thing going on and a completely strange song structure.  but you can tell he's been practicing his craft.  his rapping is getting better and so is his producing.  one of the benefits for rappers producing their own songs is that they can curtail it to their flow/craft better, and you can tell that this beat was meant for peggy and peggy only.  love the repeated chorus (?) super catchy and all that.

11.  chelmico - easy breezy

genre: jpop, hip pop

for fans of: beck?

i think this is a theme to some anime but i honestly dont know where it came from.  all i know is that it has an amazing use of a guitar in a hip hop song and it just makes me wanna shout EASY! BREEZY! along with it until the end of time.  sample use kinda reminds me of guero era beck.  

The Shellfish Mademoiselle praise

wyU8cI5.gif

Will go into the previous updates later but I've listened to the Dreamcatcher album and it was very good! Not on the level of 4 Walls/Reboot/Max & Match but close

Yay at Cool even if it's not even close to being my fave on FN

JOAOTDF :clap3: yes italo disco >

29 minutes ago, Madame X said:

i just know some gay has used this song as an excuse to break quarantine. 

the gays never went into lockdown :deadbanana4:

Rina, RTJ, Jessie :clap3: 

Cool is cute but it’s a skip for me :redface:

cool is ... cool :fan:

Rina + Aly & AJ :WAP:

• ATRL Moderator

10.  shygirl - freak

artworks-es2kJrY2au52-0-t500x500.jpg

we love slutty industrial hip hop.  nobody else is doing it like her.  the distorted sexy chorus is one thing, but once the verses hit i lose control.  seriously the most addictive moment of any 2020 song, maybe.  i hear they call meshy, i could only wonder why.  :jonny: 

9.  charli xcx - visions

412BD+4G6dL._AC_.jpg

i ****ing LOVE the tail end of how im feeling now.  so good, all of it.  visions, the closing track exceeds track 10 as charli's strongest closer.  it builds and grows until it becomes a pseudo industrial noise shitshow at the end.  as all albums should end, if you ask me.  pulsating charli style synths build and build before that, you know, as all songs should do.  finally realizing.

8.  zebra katz - lick it n split

A1SYEjFpu7L._SS500_.jpg

i told yall, i believe in shygirl supremacy.  zebra returned with a fantastic album this year but the standout is the shygirl collab produced by sega bodega.  no i won't apologize for being excessive.  it has this gimmick where it switches from a slow foreboding industrial beat to a double time bouncy synth beat.  actually though, while shygirl hits hard on the fast portions, the standout of the song is the final zebra verse.  out here on own, im a semi-precious stone.

7.  rakky ripper - coyote

3WWaptJ.png

sorry about the size/quality of the image but its the only one i could find.  i guess its rare.  and of course you know imgur doesn't even let you edit photos anymore.1  i found out about rakky early this year with her mixtape that combined digital reggaeton with bubblegum bass.  totally 100% up my alley.  she switched her sound though.  its darker, its more clubby, its a stripper anthem.  definitely nomination for most slept on track of the year.  she's having her blackout era we should respect it and praise it to the high heavens until we can't anymore.  

6.  fiona apple - ladies

FIONAAPPLECOVER.jpg

ladies ladies ladies ladies.  god, this song just hits me hard.  ladies ladies ladies ladies.  i kinda just like saying that over and over.  fiona tackles the idea that, while when a man cheats, its the mans fault, but its hard to let that idea take hold cuz its easier to blame the woman.  kinda true if you ask me.

5.  christine and the queens - la vita nuova

411mhQwGzhL.jpg

this is the best thing christine and the queens has ever done :weeps:  i just love the chorus so much, i love caroline's verse, i think its so catchy and its got a nice 80s pop vibe which you know i stan anything thats like that.

4.  jessie ware - whats your pleasure

81PBn7DCwhL._SS500_.jpg

when this song came out i thought "god, i miss roisin murphy and when she released albums" and later this year, she did!  so not only is jessie responsible for one of the best albums of the year, she's responsible for two.  this is a pulsating sexy disco song and by far the most sexual and aggressive thing jessie has done.  what she does has class to it though.  

• ATRL Moderator

3.  megan thee stallion - dont stop

img_55831.jpg?fit=800,440&ssl=1

i kinda wanna let my top 3 speak for themselves so ill keep it brief.  amazing singles run, this came out on top.  industrial trap jam with young thug doing his thing.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.