Black Excellence: RIAA Diamond Certifications

trainsskyscrapers

On 10/30/2020 at 9:16 PM, trainsskyscrapers said:

Hmm....

You had to let it marinate and come back a few days later, huh....

Queen with their Rami Malek-led biopic is definitely one, I would like to say ABBA based on the runaway success of Mamma Mia, perennial BB200 mainstay Pink Floyd's "Dark Side Of The Moon", and as for modern records with "dark horse potential" (streaming involved) I would include Billie Eilish's debut EP "Don't Smile At Me", Adele's "19", Beyoncé's I Am...Sasha Fierce being buoyed by Halo/Single Ladies, along with Grenade/Just The Way You Are + Can't Feel My Face/The Hills + One Dance/Hotline Bling + Shape Of You/Perfect running those NUMBERS up for their respective albums. 

Queen scored new diamond certifications due the biopic? Really? (and Freddie is dead BTW. I said who DIDN'T die)

None of these albums went and scored diamond certifications due to a boost in sales. Thanks for proving my point.

Edited by Chimier

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• trainsskyscrapers

• Chimier

• GreatestLoveofAll

• Kool_Aid_King

38 minutes ago, Chimier said:

Queen scored new diamond certifications due the biopic? Really? (and Freddie is dead BTW. I said who DIDN'T die)

None of these albums went and scored diamond certifications due to a boost in sales. Thanks for proving my point.

Are you dumb?

I said all of these albums now have the "potential" to go Diamond because of a movie, big follow-up album, or single that has brought attention back to an older album. 

Using Queen as an example..... BTW how many years before the movie came out did Freddie Mercury die? :mandown:You're acting like his death (in 1991... Jesus :shakeno:) has caused their album to chart today. Look up Queen's current certifications, the units they're selling each week, and what those totals are, because you definitely have spare time. ABBA too. 

Waiting days to post these half-truths that aren't very well thought-out reflects badly on you. 

25 minutes ago, trainsskyscrapers said:

Are you dumb?

I said all of these albums now have the "potential" to go Diamond because of a movie, big follow-up album, or single that has brought attention back to an older album. 

Using Queen as an example..... BTW how many years before the movie came out did Freddie Mercury die? :mandown:You're acting like his death (in 1991... Jesus :shakeno:) has caused their album to chart today. Look up Queen's current certifications, the units they're selling each week, and what those totals are, because you definitely have spare time. ABBA too. 

Waiting days to post these half-truths that aren't very well thought-out reflects badly on you. 

And I'm saying none of them have even shown this to be even remotely true. You're saying "I'm right because shoulda-woulda-coulda-mighta-perhaps-maybe-one sweet day". Anyone can say that about anything. It doesn't make it true. Until any of those non-diamond records exhibit a huge boost in sales/streams that takes it to diamond certification, I will continue to be right while you will continue to be wrong and very very stupid and dull.

Have a good day! Have fun! Sunday funday!

6 minutes ago, Chimier said:

And I'm saying none of them have even shown this to be even remotely true. You're saying "I'm right because shoulda-woulda-coulda-mighta-perhaps-maybe-one sweet day". Anyone can say that about anything. It doesn't make it true. Until any of those non-diamond records exhibit a huge boost in sales/streams that takes it to diamond certification, I will continue to be right while you will continue to be wrong and very very stupid and dull.

Have a good day! Have fun! Sunday funday!

Thanks for a paragraph of nothing!

Look out for Queen's Greatest Hits album (8x Platinum in 2006) and ABBA's Gold: Greatest Hits (6x Platinum in 2002). :celestial5:

1 minute ago, trainsskyscrapers said:

Look out for Queen's Greatest Hits album (8x Platinum in 2006) and ABBA's Gold: Greatest Hits (6x Platinum in 2002). :celestial5:

Says the expert on writing posts about nothing. I'll look out for their diamond certifications that aren't coming,

tenor.gif

19 minutes ago, Chimier said:

Says the expert on writing posts about nothing. I'll look out for their diamond certifications that aren't coming,

tenor.gif

Don't worry. When it happens, I'll tag you.

8 hours ago, trainsskyscrapers said:

Don't worry. When it happens, I'll tag you.

Don't bother. I probably won't even be on here by then.

And it's hilarious how you had to go and reference white artists when the topic is BLACK artists and my initial comment was on...BLACK artists. Crying at you not even being able to prove your point with what the topic is actually about. What's sadder is how it's YOUR own thread ????

Edited by Chimier

45 minutes ago, Chimier said:

Don't bother. I probably won't even be on here by then.

And it's hilarious how you had to go and reference white artists when the topic is BLACK artists and my initial comment was on...BLACK artists. Crying at you not even being able to prove your point with what the topic is actually about. What's sadder is how it's YOUR own thread ????

LMAO.

That could be said about any album, any record, regardless of sales. So my point still stands. In fact, name one artist who experienced such a phenomena in their sales in recent years who DIDN'T die. Exactly.

I was looking for modern examples (2010s and forward of ANY race so I could find examples of this phenomenon taking place with streaming -- Queen and ABBA will be the first --), but for Black musicians in history where this has taken place using recurrent airplay/TV placements/new albums giving their old ones a second wind/ a prolonged album shipment schedule due to demand... we have Prince & The Revolution's Purple Rain (Certified Diamond in 1996 after 12 years of steady sales + strong airplay of "Purple Rain" and "When Doves Cry" on AC radio), Usher's Confessions (Certified Diamond in 2008 as his singles became classics with massive recurrent radio stats and strong iTunes downloads), Nelly's Country Grammar (certified Diamond in 2016), and Stevie Wonder's Songs In The Key Of Live (Certified Diamond in 2005).

Were any of them deceased at the time of their Diamond certifications? Nope.

Was recurrent airplay of album tracks and hit singles what propelled each album forward over several years, sometimes re-charting when new albums were released?

Yup.

The Weeknd, Destiny’s Child, Beyoncé, Drake, Kendrick Lamar, and Rihanna will be joining this esteemed list as a result of recurrent streams, healthy downloads, strong recurrent radio airplay, and impressive pure sales (in several cases) in a few year's time.

Edited by trainsskyscrapers

1 hour ago, trainsskyscrapers said:

I was looking for modern examples (2010s and forward of ANY race so I could find examples of this phenomenon taking place with streaming -- Queen and ABBA will be the first --), but for Black musicians in history where this has taken place using recurrent airplay/TV placements/new albums giving their old ones a second wind/ a prolonged album shipment schedule due to demand... we have Prince & The Revolution's Purple Rain (Certified Diamond in 1996 after 12 years of steady sales + strong airplay of "Purple Rain" and "When Doves Cry" on AC radio), Usher's Confessions (Certified Diamond in 2008 as his singles became classics with massive recurrent radio stats and strong iTunes downloads), Nelly's Country Grammar (certified Diamond in 2016), and Stevie Wonder's Songs In The Key Of Live (Certified Diamond in 2005).

Were any of them deceased at the time of their Diamond certifications? Nope.

Was recurrent airplay of album tracks and hit singles what propelled each album forward over several years, sometimes re-charting when new albums were released?

Yup.

The Weeknd, Destiny’s Child, Beyoncé, Drake, Kendrick Lamar, and Rihanna will be joining this esteemed list as a result of recurrent streams, healthy downloads, strong recurrent radio airplay, and impressive pure sales (in several cases) in a few year's time.

9rrX2aH.gif

17 minutes ago, Chimier said:

9rrX2aH.gif

Anytime.

Thanks for visiting. :mandown:

• 3 months later...

Off The Wall

9x Platinum :clap3:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Kanye West's "Stronger" joins the winner's circle! :clap3:

i didn't know emotions could be certified diamond eventually. that means that mariah would have debut, emotions, music box, merry christmas, daydream and even emancipation as diamond albums. the first five being consecutively released:jonny6:

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/6/2021 at 9:39 PM, thetea said:

i didn't know emotions could be certified diamond eventually. that means that mariah would have debut, emotions, music box, merry christmas, daydream and even emancipation as diamond albums. the first five being consecutively released:jonny6:

Emotions isn't close to being Diamond. She would need 4M sales. 

Merry Xmas, TEOM & Debut are the closest. 

--

Are you including Cardi B? Cause Bodak Yellow is Diamond. 

Also See You Again - Wiz Khalifa, Sunflower - Post & Swae Lee, & BEP - I Gotta Feeling

4 minutes ago, Kool_Aid_King said:

Merry Xmas, TEOM & Debut are the closest

Im still iffy on the last two tbh cause debut has poor streams and sales in general and TEOM is like at 6-7 million pure, right? Not sure they'll get there any time soon. 

Merry Christmas for diamond in 2022 tho.

Just now, GreatestLoveofAll said:

Im still iffy on the last two tbh cause debut has poor streams and sales in general and TEOM is like at 6-7 million pure, right? Not sure they'll get there any time soon. 

Yeah, IDK. I said closest for a reason cause those are her best shots. TEOM is definitely sitting at 9M and debut might have poor streams, but I think maybe the vinyl sales may have pushed it? IDK. 

Great thread! Makes for an interesting read. Weird how some artists don't keep their certificates updated. 

1 minute ago, Kool_Aid_King said:

Yeah, IDK. I said closest for a reason cause those are her best shots. TEOM is definitely sitting at 9M and debut might have poor streams, but I think maybe the vinyl sales may have pushed it? IDK. 

yeah i get it. Debut deserves so much 9x looks so ugly 

41 minutes ago, Kool_Aid_King said:

Also See You Again - Wiz Khalifa, Sunflower - Post & Swae Lee, & BEP - I Gotta Feeling

Thank you! Added. :smile: 

38 minutes ago, Reinvention said:

Great thread! Makes for an interesting read. Weird how some artists don't keep their certificates updated. 

Thank you very much! Thought it would be a soothing, monotonous, music-related activity to complete whenever I have some free time.

I definitely wish we had a system of instant certification like the UK, but I would also love to see a US act from a Millennium-era label where certifications weren't a huge priority (someone like DC/Beyoncé, Usher, Britney) use a subtle-but-constant drip of re-certifications to signal a comeback. Surprised no one has really done that yet. 

2 hours ago, GreatestLoveofAll said:

debut is definitely diamond already. it's been 9x platinum since 1999, and I'm sure it's sold 1 million copies since then with vinyl represses, CDs, streaming and iTunes.

• 3 weeks later...

Congratulations, Nicki Minaj! :clap3:

Welcome to the Winner's Circle. 

:smitten:

Edited by trainsskyscrapers

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.