• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pink Matter

• suburbannature

• Nexto

• Tinashegrande6

Congrats on the pin :clap3: 

FYI I may update my "classic albums I need to check out" playlist on Spotify to just mirror this list (with the first song on each album I just go straight to the album to check it out). I can post here if I end up doing that!

17 hours ago, Ewan Chaos said:

Congrats on the pin :clap3: 

FYI I may update my "classic albums I need to check out" playlist on Spotify to just mirror this list (with the first song on each album I just go straight to the album to check it out). I can post here if I end up doing that!

Thanks! And yeah a playlist might be a good idea, although it seems rather daunting for so much music lol

Little Richard - Little Richard (1958) [The better album imo, a literal classic]

João Gilberto - Chega de saudade (1959)

João Gilberto (born João Gilberto Prado Pereira de Oliveira – Portuguese: [ʒuˈɐ̃w ʒiwˈbɛʁtu]; June 10, 1931 – July 6, 2019), was a Brazilian singer, songwriter, and guitarist, who was a pioneer of the musical genre of bossa nova in the late 1950s.

Little Richard - Here's Little Richard (1957) [the more influential one obvi because it came first]
Van Morrison - Astral Weeks (1968)

Frank Zappa - Hot Rats (1969)

Baby Huey - The Baby Huey Story: The Living Legend (1971)

James Thomas Ramey (August 17, 1944 – October 28, 1970), better known as Baby Huey, was an American rock and soul singer. He was the frontman for the band Baby Huey & the Babysitters, whose sole LP for Curtom Records in 1971 was influential in the development of hip hop music.

Os Mutantes - Os Mutantes (1968)

Os Mutantes (meaning the mutants) are an influential Brazilian rock band that were linked with the Tropicália movement, a dissident musical movement during the Brazilian dictatorship of the late 1960s. They released their acclaimed self-titled debut album in 1968.

Scott Walker - Scott 4 (1969)

Pharoah Sanders - Karma (1969)

Smokey Robinson - A Quiet Storm (1975)
Al Green - I'm Still in Love With You (1972)
Parliament - Mothership Connection (1975)

Bill Withers - Still Bill (1972)
Jorge Ben - África Brasil (1976)

África Brasil is a 1976 release by Brazilian artist Jorge Ben, recording at the time as Jorge Ben. It was Ben's 14th studio album. África Brasil represented a milestone in Ben's career with Ben's switch to electric guitar and incorporation of both Afro-Brazilian and African-American pop music styles into his sound. Known for its funkiness, África Brasil is one of Ben's best-known recordings.[3] Rolling Stone Brazil listed it as one of the 100 best Brazilian albums in history,[4] and it was included in both Robert Dimery's 1001 Albums You Must Hear Before You Die as well as Tom Moon's collection 1,000 Recordings to Hear Before You Die.

Black Sabbath - Paranoid (1970)
Earth, Wind & Fire - Spirit (1976)
John Carpenter - Halloween (1983)
The Cure - *****graphy (1982)

American Football - American Football (1999)
Elliott Smith - Either / Or (1997)
DJ Quik - Quik Is the Name (1991)
Ginuwine - Ginuwine...The Bachelor (1999)

Jodeci - Forever My Lady (1991)
Mary J. Blige - My Life (1994)

UGK - Ridin' Dirty (1996)

I'll do 00s & 10s later lol

18 hours ago, Wicked said:

Little Richard - Little Richard (1958) [The better album imo, a literal classic]

João Gilberto - Chega de saudade (1959)

Little Richard - Here's Little Richard (1957) [the more influential one obvi because it came first]
Van Morrison - Astral Weeks (1968)

Frank Zappa - Hot Rats (1969)

Baby Huey - The Baby Huey Story: The Living Legend (1971)

Os Mutantes - Os Mutantes (1968)

Scott Walker - Scott 4 (1969)

Pharoah Sanders - Karma (1969)

Smokey Robinson - A Quiet Storm (1975)
Al Green - I'm Still in Love With You (1972)
Parliament - Mothership Connection (1975)

Bill Withers - Still Bill (1972)
Jorge Ben - África Brasil (1976)

Black Sabbath - Paranoid (1970)
Earth, Wind & Fire - Spirit (1976)
John Carpenter - Halloween (1983)
The Cure - *****graphy (1982)

American Football - American Football (1999)
Elliott Smith - Either / Or (1997)
DJ Quik - Quik Is the Name (1991)
Ginuwine - Ginuwine...The Bachelor (1999)

Jodeci - Forever My Lady (1991)
Mary J. Blige - My Life (1994)

UGK - Ridin' Dirty (1996)

I'll do 00s & 10s later lol

Thanks sis! Just updated the OP.

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/25/2020 at 12:17 PM, Pink Matter said:

Essential 70s Albums:

Hide contents

Blondie|Plastic Letters

You mean Parallel Lines (1978). Plastic Hearts is the upcoming Miley Cyrus album.

58 minutes ago, Dopeamine said:

You mean Parallel Lines (1978). Plastic Hearts is the upcoming Miley Cyrus album.

??

Blondie do have an have an album called Plastic Letters (it's their second album). Do  you mean I should've chosen Parallel Lines?

2 hours ago, Pink Matter said:

??

Blondie do have an have an album called Plastic Letters (it's their second album). Do  you mean I should've chosen Parallel Lines?

parallel lines is the signature blondie album! 

36 minutes ago, Madame X said:

parallel lines is the signature blondie album! 

That's fair. I don't mind changing it but I don't know if that user meant what you said.

Edit: Got any other recs?

3 minutes ago, Pink Matter said:

That's fair. I don't mind changing it but I don't know if that user meant what you said.

Edit: Got any other recs?

what kinda genres u looking for 

4 hours ago, Madame X said:

what kinda genres u looking for 

All encompassing! Suggestions for all genres would be great. Though if there is a genre you know better than others you can just focus on that one in particular.

17 hours ago, Pink Matter said:

All encompassing! Suggestions for all genres would be great. Though if there is a genre you know better than others you can just focus on that one in particular.

for the 70s

b-52s - b-52s (punk/new wave)

betty davis - they say i'm different (funk rock)

for the 80s

human league - dare (synth pop)

siouxsie and the banshees - kaleidoscope (post-punk)

good choices for the artists though tbh. :-* 

3 hours ago, Madame X said:

for the 70s

b-52s - b-52s (punk/new wave)

betty davis - they say i'm different (funk rock)

for the 80s

human league - dare (synth pop)

siouxsie and the banshees - kaleidoscope (post-punk)

good choices for the artists though tbh. :-* 

Just added them to the OP :heart2: 

• 2 weeks later...

Finally finished adding the genres to all of the albums in the OP (courtesy of Wikipedia :flower:). Hopefully that makes it easier for people to find albums they might like! Also, @Wicked I'm still waiting on those '00s and '10s lists :matty: 

Tinashegrande6
12 hours ago, Pink Matter said:

Finally finished adding the genres to all of the albums in the OP (courtesy of Wikipedia :flower:). Hopefully that makes it easier for people to find albums they might like! Also, @Wicked I'm still waiting on those '00s and '10s lists :matty: 

Thank you king :jonny5:

7 hours ago, suburbannature said:

Mary J should be What’s the 411, tbh.

I was thinking of choosing What's the 411 initially but I saw My Life more on the lists I checked out  (IIRC)

6 hours ago, Tinashegrande6 said:

Thank you king :jonny5:

You're very welcome! @Slate I think I said I would have the genres listed so it would be easier to find albums you might like. Well all the genres are listed (several weeks later :dies:)

5 hours ago, Pink Matter said:

I was thinking of choosing What's the 411 initially but I saw My Life more on the lists I checked out  (IIRC)

You're very welcome! @Slate I think I said I would have the genres listed so it would be easier to find albums you might like. Well all the genres are listed (several weeks later :dies:)

Nice, thank you :hug:

• ATRL Moderator
On 12/3/2020 at 7:09 PM, artangel said:

how is born to die baroque pop or trip hop? :deadbanana:

Well it says it is in the Wikipedia article nn

On 11/28/2020 at 6:09 PM, Pink Matter said:

I forgot about this :skull: I'll try to post it soon.

Wondering what the stance on compilations is here. That would probably aid when it comes to other genres or artists that released music before making albums was really a thing. 

14 hours ago, Wicked said:

I forgot about this :skull: I'll try to post it soon.

Wondering what the stance on compilations is here. That would probably aid when it comes to other genres or artists that released music before making albums was really a thing. 

If you mean compilations like Madonna's Immaculate Collection I'm cool with that! There's a few live albums listed so I'm pretty fast and loose with what can be addded.