• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Squall

• Stankonia

• mcohen

• WildHeart

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Summer Boy said:

Yeah Rihanna is really huge in France, Adele and Gaga too, but that user refuse to admit it! Global pop stars only! :jonny:

No I don't :biblio: 

I'm talking about the current market and:

- Rihanna last released in 2016 (and Anti was an underperformance)

- Adele last released in 2015

- ASIB was huge but not Chromatica

Why do you guys always have to act stupid about everything? :ace: 

She should really give up FRANCE:biblio: Concentrate on promotion in NE/SE Asia in the next few eras and she will probably snatch 1-2 more IFPI NO.1 Artist

1 hour ago, My Tears Ricochet said:

Do pop girls even do that good in France? 

Lana smashed there - BTD is diamond.

I know Mariah and Madonna have multiple #1/diamond albums there too, but it’s not common.

Edited by suburbannature

peterstyles13
54 minutes ago, Summer Boy said:

Yeah Rihanna is really huge in France, Adele and Gaga too, but that user refuse to admit it! Global pop stars only! :jonny:

For the millionth time, smashing in mainland European countries doesn't mean you're global :rip: Taylor's numbers in at least half of the mainland European countries are underwhelming but she makes up for it in Asia (where she's the biggest western pop girl in ages, if not ever), Oceania and North America. Her power in those continents make her top the global charts (she's the only female artist to ever be IFPI's global artist twice and she has more top 5 placements than anyone else) while some of the other girls who smash in Europe can barely go top 5 :sadviolin:

The way LOVER failed to captivate the french even with all the pandering for folklore to smash. :rip:

1 hour ago, suburbannature said:

Lana smashed there - BTD is diamond.

I know Mariah and Madonna have multiple #1/diamond albums there too, but it’s not common.

Whitney, Kylie, Shakira, J Lo, Cher, Janet, Céline, Katy, P!nk, Britney, Adèle, Tina, Beyoncé, Rihanna, Lauryn, Nelly etc. all had at least one smash era in France.

France is not less receptive to international pop girls than the rest of Europe, we just don't check for miss Swift!

1 hour ago, Stankonia said:

Whitney, Kylie, Shakira, J Lo, Cher, Janet, Céline, Katy, P!nk, Britney, Adèle, Tina, Beyoncé, Rihanna, Lauryn, Nelly etc. all had at least one smash era in France.

France is not less receptive to international pop girls than the rest of Europe, we just don't check for miss Swift!

Hum yes it is? Do you even know your own market? :skull: 

Top 50 of 2020 so far:

17. BTS

18. ASIB

24. WWAFAWDWG?

43. Chromatica

45. Tones And I

(Both of Chromatica and Tones & I won't stay in the top 50 for long)

In two weeks or so, there will only be 3 international albums in the whole top 50 :dies: 

Edited by Squall

Welp. France is local anyways. Taylor is too global for them

Smashing in the US/Asia/Oceania > selling 15k in France like the #1 album does 

giphy.gif

Edited by mcohen

17 minutes ago, Squall said:

Hum yes it is? Do you even know your own market? :skull: 

Top 50 of 2020 so far:

17. BTS

18. ASIB

24. WWAFAWDWG?

43. Chromatica

45. Tones And I

(Both of Chromatica and Tones & I won't stay in the top 50 for long)

In two weeks or so, there will only be 3 international albums in the whole top 50 :dies: 

Ok and? :rip: As if it's not the same in other european countries :psyduck:

None of this negates the fact that plenty of international pop girls (Whitney, Kylie, Shakira, J Lo, Cher, Janet, Céline, Katy, P!nk, Britney, Adèle, Tina, Beyoncé, Rihanna, Lauryn, Nelly & on & on) have enjoyed great success in France and that miss Swift is more of an exception than the rule :sorry:

2 minutes ago, Stankonia said:

None of this negates the fact that plenty of international pop girls (Whitney, Kylie, Shakira, J Lo, Cher, Janet, Céline, Katy, P!nk, Britney, Adèle, Tina, Beyoncé, Rihanna, Lauryn, Nelly & on & on) have enjoyed great success in France and that miss Swift is more of an exception than the rule :sorry:

No one cares about France in 2020 :sorry:

Your music market is dead. The #1 album sells 15k on a good week 

Edited by mcohen

2 minutes ago, Stankonia said:

None of this negates the fact that plenty of international pop girls (Whitney, Kylie, Shakira, J Lo, Cher, Janet, Céline, Katy, P!nk, Britney, Adèle, Tina, Beyoncé, Rihanna, Lauryn, Nelly & on & on) have enjoyed great success in France and that miss Swift is more of an exception than the rule :sorry:

It's not actually, Billie is a great example of that.

Good but we are in 2020 now and France is one of the hardest markets to crack for international acts (especially females).

4 hours ago, GoodGuyGoneGhetto said:

Taylor Swift simply isn’t a force in France and never was and that goes for most of Europe. 

She is doing well in UK, Ireland and Germany. And ı am sure they make big part of Europe market. 

1 minute ago, mcohen said:

Swift stans get so defensive and mad at the thought that their fave has always been a flop in France yet they claim no one cares about Europe/France. Interesting

giphy.gif

1 minute ago, Squall said:

It's not actually, Billie is a great example of that.

Good but we are in 2020 now and France is one of the hardest markets to crack for international acts (especially females).

Swift's career didn't start in 2020 though and Billie is a brand new artist.

Please don't be delusional, Swift has always been a total non event in France compared to other international MPGs, even Ariana is more popular than her both musically and as a celebrity despite her music being way less eurocentric than Swift's. The french GP coudn't name one of her songs to save their lives and barely knows who she is

btw you forgot The Weeknd (#22), Soolking (#33) and Eminem (#50) in the top 50 best selling albums of 2020 so far and Dua Lipa is getting in too

4 minutes ago, Stankonia said:

Swift stans get so defensive and mad at the thought that their fave has always been a flop in France yet they claim no one cares about Europe/France. Interesting

Does it change the fact that France is not big music market for international artists? No. Even as an international act, you can do better in Mexico or Philippines than you do in France. 

8 minutes ago, Stankonia said:

Swift's career didn't start in 2020 though and Billie is a brand new artist.

Please don't be delusional, Swift has always been a total non event in France compared to other international MPGs, even Ariana is more popular than her both musically and as a celebrity despite her music being way less eurocentric than Swift's. The french GP coudn't name one of her songs to save their lives and barely knows who she is

btw you forgot The Weeknd (#22), Soolking (#33) and Eminem (#50) in the top 50 best selling albums of 2020 so far and Dua Lipa is getting in too

I know, everyone knows she wasn't big here. I'm just saying that her current results are good considering her past + the current situation of our market. While not being huge here, she still managed to snatch a Platinum album and multiple Gold albums.

Ariana's music is absolutely not less "eurocentric" than Taylor's though. :skull: 

Taylor started out as a country artist and she had a sound that didn't stick with Europe, and especially France, until 1989. Ariana's music has always been trendy, even though I love what she does. 

Eminem is out of the top 50 by now (Tones and I also, probably). You're right about the two others (I don't know who Soolking is so that didn't help).

2019 YEC:

7. ASIB

26. Bohemian Rhapsody 

37. My Songs

38. Origins

40. WWAFA, WDWG?

46. No.6 Collaborations Project

49. Everyday Life

7 international albums in the top 50 so yeah, our market is pretty closed. 

EDIT: Wait, Soolking is a french-speaking artist, why are you even counting him? :skull: 

Edited by Squall

There is literally NO excuse for debuting at #138 with your lead single AND outside the top 10 with your album in such a big music market, so I don't even know why are some people trying it in here :toofunny2: She simply never was a thing in France.

3 hours ago, peterstyles13 said:

Asia, where she's the biggest western pop girl in ages, if not ever

The way you constantly regurgitate this!

I don’t understand how she can be referred to as “Global” because she’s big in ‘Asia’ but somehow having poor/underwhelming commercial numbers in one of the most influential and musically impactful continents in the world (with multiple big music markets) is irrelevant? 

Her stats. are dead in France and Germany and only satisfactory in the U.K & Ireland.

Sis... :deadbanana4:

14 minutes ago, Artistofthedecade said:

Mexico or Philippines than you do in France. 

Hmmm... I don’t think this is true Sis.

If that were the case then EVERY POP ACT would be seeing abysmal numbers in France whilst slaying Mexico and the Philippines etc. 

43 minutes ago, mcohen said:

She just isn’t big commercial force in Europe, and never will be and that’s cool.

Just like how Rihanna/Adele/Beyonce will NEVER see or come close to her stats. in China.

Not every Pop Girl is going to dominate every market.

:rip:

22 minutes ago, Artistofthedecade said:

Does it change the fact that France is not big music market for international artists? No. Even as an international act, you can do better in Mexico or Philippines than you do in France. 

Tell it to Gaga whose ASIB was certified Diamond in France with more than 500k units sold lol

20 minutes ago, Squall said:

I know, everyone knows she wasn't big here. I'm just saying that her current results are good considering her past + the current situation of our market. While not being huge here, she still managed to snatch a Platinum album and multiple Gold albums.

Ariana's music is absolutely not less "eurocentric" than Taylor's though. :skull: 

Taylor started out as a country artist and she had a sound that didn't stick with Europe, and especially France, until 1989. Ariana's music has always been trendy, even though I love what she does. 

Eminem is out of the top 50 by now (Tones and I also, probably). You're right about the two others (I don't know who Soolking is so that didn't help).

2019 YEC:

7. ASIB

26. Bohemian Rhapsody 

37. My Songs

38. Origins

40. WWAFA, WDWG?

46. No.6 Collaborations Project

49. Everyday Life

7 international albums in the top 50 so yeah, our market is pretty closed. 

EDIT: Wait, Soolking is a french-speaking artist, why are you even counting him? :skull: 

Um yes it is. I agree about Taylor's first few country albums no being cut for the french market but her Pop albums are absolutely more euro-compatible than Ariana's last two albums + her first one which are heavily urban/R&B and cut for the US market, and she still had more success with them than Taylor with generic Pop music.

And I agree that her latest album making it in the Top 15 in France is good for her standards.

I included him because he is not french.

Edited by Stankonia

7 minutes ago, Stankonia said:

Tell it to Gaga whose ASIB was certified Diamond in France with more than 500k units sold lol

Um yes it is. I agree about Taylor's first few country albums no being cut for the french market but her Pop albums are absolutely more euro-compatible than Ariana's last two albums which are heavily urban/R&B and cut for the US market, and she still had more success with them than Taylor with generic Pop music.

And I agree that her latest album making it in the Top 15 in France is good for her standards.

I included him because he is not french.

Are you serious? 7 Rings is the perfect sound to fit to what is trendy right now, how can you even say otherwise? :dies:  Lover was full pop and it wasn't the smartest decision to make with the streaming take-off. The only pop sound that is really popular right now is the 80s synth one (The Weeknd, Dua, etc).

So? Mylene & Céline either and yet it would be stupid to separate them from french artists (except Céline when she releases english albums). :skull: 

Edited by Squall

47 minutes ago, GoodGuyGoneGhetto said:

I don’t understand how she can be referred to as “Global” because she’s big in ‘Asia’ but somehow having poor/underwhelming commercial numbers in one of the most influential and musically impactful continents in the world

Because you don't need to be big in EVERY country in the world to be global. By that logic, no MPG is global because they are not big in the most populated country in the world. It doesn't work like that. 

48 minutes ago, GoodGuyGoneGhetto said:

Her stats. are dead in France and Germany and only satisfactory in the U.K & Ireland

According to? Her last albums all make YEC list and she is most watched Vevo artist there. Also she has Platinum and multiple Gold albums there. 

49 minutes ago, GoodGuyGoneGhetto said:

If that were the case then EVERY POP ACT would be seeing abysmal numbers in France whilst slaying Mexico and the Philippines etc. 

Taylor got 20 million stream in Philippines this week. Which MPG got 20 million Spotify stream in a week in France? Yes you can make more in Philippines or Mexico than you do in France at this point. 

49 minutes ago, Stankonia said:

Did Chromatica sell 1/10 of that yet? 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.