MingYouToo

Was Mariah's Daydream the biggest GRAMMY snub of all time?

cuneytb
7 minutes ago, wolfaire said:

Mariah in general was and still is snubbed. But it's okay 'cause global legend is still being adored everywhere and her songs are still being sung en masse every year. Not everybody has that :fan:

Every year yeah. She is still getting the most streams pre-2000 artists in the US. Her catalog is HUGE. 

AxelFox

Stans of girlies that have yet to release an album HALF as good as Daydream calling it mediocre in here I- 

:deadbanana2:

KMO

No. That would be Katy Perry’s historic Teenage Dream, which was impactful in every way imaginable. Five number one hits that people still know and can sing off by heart to this day. Whew.

Kimi

There are legends without a single grammy and here you are calling this the biggest snub of all time  :juanny:

Sept

Yes, along with Anti and ST

And see what do they have in common? :eli: 

cuneytb
1 hour ago, KMO said:

No. That would be Katy Perry’s historic Teenage Dream, which was impactful in every way imaginable. Five number one hits that people still know and can sing off by heart to this day. Whew.

I hate Titty perry but yes she deserved at least a grammy by the pop field. 

9 minutes ago, Sept said:

Yes, along with Anti and ST

And see what do they have in common? :eli: 

Both Rihanna and Beyoncé have a lot of grammies though. 

Sept
1 minute ago, cuneytb said:

I hate Titty perry but yes she deserved at least a grammy by the pop field. 

Both Rihanna and Beyoncé have a lot of grammies though. 

Majority are in R&B and Rap fields where almost all the nominees are also black :rip: 

theweekend

yes. also her voice was on its peak she literally killed every live performance and delivered that amazing MSG concert.

naval23
9 hours ago, GoodGuyGoneGhetto said:

Exactly Sis!

Her nominations that era were so confusing to me, and still are.

”OSD” and especially “ABMB” weren’t even singles...

Unless there was a rule at the time whereby any song from an album could be put forward as a nomination and that still wouldn’t make sense as “Daydream” was barely released at the time.

Why would “OSD” score a ‘ROTY’ nomination when it ONLY became a hit after the Grammy cut-off date for 1995? :deadbanana4:

Horrible strategy - you cant expect to win if you only have 3 months of exposure before the awards...

It definitely should've waited for 1997 in my opinion 

Fitzswiftie
6 hours ago, KMO said:

TD was only on three #1s when nominations were out and by the time of the ceremony.

Fitzswiftie
5 hours ago, Kimi said:

There are legends without a single grammy and here you are calling this the biggest snub of all time  :juanny:

Bradley Cooper was twice as many performing Grammys as Diana Ross & Freddie Mercury combined.

BnPac

No, in recent years Kendrick and Ye were worse. 

StonedSoulPicnic

She wasn't the best nominee in any of those categories. The competition was tough.

1DES
19 hours ago, Feetree said:

Yes poor Mimi sis but she released ha magnum opus a year later 

And that only got her nominations for the lead single. 

1DES
19 hours ago, GoodGuyGoneGhetto said:

The Grammy noms. for “Daydream” made no sense to me anyhow. :rip:

The cut off date for the 1996 GRAMMY’s was October 1995 and the ceremony took place in March 1996.

• How was “ABMB” nominated for a Grammy in the R&B category when it had yet to be released as a single and wouldn’t be until March 1996? 

• How was “OSD” nominated for ‘ROTY’ when it had yet to be released a single and top the charts also - especially considering it debuted at #1?

The vast majority of “Daydream’s” success literally came after the GRAMMY cut-off date and, prior to that, only “Fantasy” was a success from the album and it was still only several weeks new. :rip:

Unlike “Daydream”, “Jagged Little spill” had been out since May 1995 so at least it had time (5 months) to build upon its acclaim and commercial success. 

Back then the Grammys rules were different. Record labels didn't just strategize on getting Grammys, they were trying to sell records. Mariah label was using the holiday months like every other big artist to sale records, Music Box, Daydream, Butterfly, #1's, Rainbow, were released during the 3rd or 4th Quarter, she was selling 500k weeks. Most singles were released to radio only so they were eligible for nominations. Fantasy wasn't eligible for the big awards because of it having a sample, so the push the would have been OSD. 

Edited by 1DES

Sergi91

Ray of Light was

EJQL8
5 hours ago, 1DES said:

And that only got her nominations for the lead single. 

Butterfly, the single, also got nominated against the Lilith Fair gals. :gaycat2:

Oceania

Talented young musicians still referencing, praising and singing Mariah's obscure album tracks 20+ years later makes these awards look even more irrelevant than they already are. 

!ngwe
On 8/2/2020 at 7:49 AM, Bey_Rihstan said:

I forgot ANTI was snubbed :rip: 

She should've won but I feel less bad because it was obvious Queen didn't care. Mariah and SZA looked so devastated by the end of the night :( 

Rihanna smoked weed during show :coffee2:

cassandrae

I believe Cassie self-titled album was snubbed as well :gaycat5: