Jump to content

The Chicks address Beyoncé's controversial CMA appearance


ShouldersSideways

Recommended Posts

ShouldersSideways
Quote

The country-pop trio, consisting of Natalie Maines, Martie Maguire and Emily Strayer, described Beyoncé as being on another level of celebrity when they performed her country highlight "Daddy Lessons" from her Lemonade album alongside her at the 2016 Country Music Awards.

 

"Where do you start? I mean, I have never been around that level, I don't even want to say celebrity, but just, I mean she's on another…" Maines said of the pop superstar during the interview. "The first couple of days we were with her, I started feeling panicked and a lot of stress, thinking of all the money - Thinking of all the money that was being spent. There's so many people and so much awesomeness. And then I was like, 'Why am I caring? Sit back and enjoy. Sit back, take it in.'

Quote

But behind the scenes, Maines is still in awe of the Formation singer's power at that awards show and her autonomy in staging the performance, mesmerized by how "somebody [had] so much say so at the CMAs."

 

"We had done the CMAs a million times and it's like, 'Okay, come on out and you get two run-throughs, and then we don't care if you still have problems, you're out of here,'" she told Lowe. "Oh my god, she's calling all the camera shots, all the lighting, all of this, all of that. I was like, 'Yes, yes. There you go.'"

 

Strayer not only talked about her fascination with Bey's "perfectionism" but also her gentle demeanor about it. "To watch her perfectionism… that acquired…she never raises her voice. She's just always calm," she said. "And she's like, 'Well, what about this? What about this? What about this?' And every time you think this is looking good, she'll just turn it on its head and make it look better, or make it just better, better, better, better, better. And to watch that process was just awesome."

Screen-Shot-2016-11-03-at-5.27.08-PM.png

 

Another day, another legendary act confirming Bey's power and involvement in her work :allears:

 

x

Link to post
Share on other sites

I was wondering if the Chicks were The Dixie Chicks, why did they change their names? 
———

Bey works so incredibly hard, it’s always great to see someone talking about it. She makes the same impression to most people she ever worked with. 
 

A great performance by the way. :clap3:

Link to post
Share on other sites
ShouldersSideways
Just now, BnPac said:

I was wondering if the Chicks were The Dixie Chicks, why did they change their names? 
———

Bey works so incredibly hard, it’s always great to see someone talking about it. She makes the same impression to most people she ever worked with. 
 

A great performance by the way. :clap3:

Dixie is a nostalgic callback to the pre-slavery and Confederate American South.  Its often associated separately with southern pride, which is why they chose it... but the context of it in today's climate is too messy so they changed it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, ShouldersSideways said:

Dixie is a nostalgic callback to the pre-slavery and Confederate American South.  Its often associated separately with southern pride, which is why they chose it... but the context of it in today's climate is too messy so they changed it.

Very considerate of them, quite self aware. Thx. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Beyonnaise said:

A moment :clap3: Their harmonizing :clap3:The MAGA fumes :clap3: 

Natalie actually addressed that in a Howard Stern interview where she confirms that despite that moment being the highest rated 15 minutes of CMA history they did in fact remove their performance after so many racists flooded them with comments. However, they posted it back up within 24 hours after so much backlash. 
 

I had always thought the timing of the cutaways from Bey were a bit off, that interview pretty confirmed why I was thinking that.

Link to post
Share on other sites

She looked incredible and it was such an iconic moment. Definitely of my favourites things Bey has done. Queen tingz

Link to post
Share on other sites

All the white tears in the audience:deadbanana2:. The Chicks and my fave did their thang. 

Edited by Embustera
Link to post
Share on other sites
ShouldersSideways
1 hour ago, Ari29 said:

Natalie actually addressed that in a Howard Stern interview where she confirms that despite that moment being the highest rated 15 minutes of CMA history they did in fact remove their performance after so many racists flooded them with comments. However, they posted it back up within 24 hours after so much backlash. 
 

I had always thought the timing of the cutaways from Bey were a bit off, that interview pretty confirmed why I was thinking that.

I think it was partly because Bey was trying to maneuver around to get them all in the shot.  The camera was focusing a lot on her tbh and she was purposefully moving around to the other girls so they'd get their shine.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, ShouldersSideways said:

I think it was partly because Bey was trying to maneuver around to get them all in the shot.  The camera was focusing a lot on her tbh and she was purposefully moving around to the other girls so they'd get their shine.

I know she does that when she shares the stage, the Stevie Wonder tribute is a really good example of that, but there was this one moment in particular from the CMA performance that stood out to me. When Natalie sings the second verse and Bey is making direct eye contact with the camera and popping her chest, that cutaway was so abrupt. Granted her dress was revealing so maybe that’s why but with the controversy afterwards maybe I just jumped to an assumption 

Link to post
Share on other sites
ShouldersSideways
1 minute ago, Ari29 said:

I know she does that when she shares the stage, the Stevie Wonder tribute is a really good example of that, but there was this one moment in particular from the CMA performance that stood out to me. When Natalie sings the second verse and Bey is making direct eye contact with the camera and popping her chest, that cutaway was so abrupt. Granted her dress was revealing so maybe that’s why but with the controversy afterwards maybe I just jumped to an assumption 

Oh no you're totally right about that... which is a whole other issue because trust me if Carrie Underwood was out there in the same dress they wouldn't be. A lot of country fans were calling her a slut on Twitter after that, but if it had been one of their down home country girls they would've been calling her body goals.

Link to post
Share on other sites
×
×
  • Create New...