HDD: Folklore 700k+

infrared

You already know that Taylor Swift is on track for the biggest #1 chart bow of 2020 YTD with her new Republic set, folklore. Now it looks like she's blown past initial forecasts of 650k+ and is now expected to surpass 700k with ease in her opening frame.

It should be added that this is without benefit of traditional retail (which figured prominently in Lover's 885k debut last August), though Tay has a mighty set of D2C offerings. Her streams, on this intimate, adult-skewing project, have been particularly impressive; she owns the entire Spotify U.S. Top 10 at present, not to mention five of the global Top 10 and three of the Top 4 spots at Apple Music. 

It appears to be just what quarantined listeners have been waiting for.

How big will this one get? Stay tuned.

Gonna outdo lover :deadbanana2:

https://hitsdailydouble.com/news&id=322486&title=TAYLOR-SHOOTS-PAST-700K

And the fact not all the physical copies sold on her stores will be counted for the first week since not everyone will redeem their digital copies... :dies: 

13 minutes ago, infrared said:

though Tay has a mighty set of D2C offerings.

What does this mean? Bundles? 

What’s D2C and why are they saying she has so much? 

OT:

She’s the Ultimate Queen of the BB200 this century so I’m not surprised. 

AS if this is shocking in the slightest lol

3 minutes ago, GoodGuyGoneGhetto said:

OT:

If you click it it will show you her official website. So I guess it means her sales from official websites are strong.

6 minutes ago, GoodGuyGoneGhetto said:

OT:

direct to consumer aka her online store 

17 minutes ago, Squall said:

And the fact not all the physical copies sold on her stores will be counted for the first week since not everyone will redeem their digital copies... :dies: 

I know we download them to be safe but I honestly don't think they need to be downloaded to be counted. For instance I got two cardigan vinyls and they just sent me the 1 download link along with my order confirmation. How would they even track it lol? I think they do it by receipts that have 4 or less purchases per order and then just confirm they're a US Billing address and that's it. 

Just now, centillion said:

I know we download them to be safe but I honestly don't think they need to be downloaded to be counted. For instance I got two cardigan vinyls and they just sent me the 1 download link along with my order confirmation. How would they even track it lol? I think they do it by receipts that have 4 or less purchases per order and then just confirm they're a US Billing address and that's it. 

:giraffe:correct. I was wondering about the same thing and I think this is the most reasonable answer.

9 minutes ago, centillion said:

I read you had to redeem your digital copy so it doesn’t count when it actually gets shipped so idk :michael:
Also, don’t you get multiple codes if you buy multiple copies?

1 minute ago, Squall said:

I read you had to redeem your digital copy so it doesn’t count when it actually gets shipped so idk :michael:

Yeah exactly which is why I'm skeptical about the accuracy of this since I only got 1.

2 minutes ago, centillion said:

Yeah exactly which is why I'm skeptical about the accuracy of this since I only got 1.

I don’t think Billboard counts the copies since that’s what could explain ME!’s unexpected surge during Lover’s first week... idk :skull: 

Shes Iconic GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

2 hours ago, Squall said:

This depends on several factors. I only got one code this week from Taylor when I purchased one vinyl, one cassette, one CD, and one digital copy - so basically I didn't get any for the three physicals I bought. Apparently, it's only one download per cart/purchase from some distributors.

1 minute ago, Cruel Summer said:

This depends on several factors. I only got one code this week from Taylor when I purchased one vinyl, one cassette, one CD, and one digital copy - so basically I didn't get any for the three physicals I bought. Apparently, it's only one download per cart/purchase from some distributors.

So when you redeemed your copy, they counted all of your 4 copies into the first week?

1 minute ago, Squall said:

So when you redeemed your copy, they counted all of your 4 copies into the first week?

That's the tough part to tell. But honestly, having read a little about how it all is supposed to work, I don't think so - I think it counted as one, since it's the download itself that counts as the "sale" for this week. Which is strange, because when I did this for Rain On Me, I got a separate code for every single item. I think people who find themselves in my situation will probably have theirs counted later on, when the physicals ship, unless I get another redemption email late.

6 minutes ago, Cruel Summer said:

That's the tough part to tell. But honestly, having read a little about how it all is supposed to work, I don't think so - I think it counted as one, since it's the download itself that counts as the "sale" for this week. Which is strange, because when I did this for Rain On Me, I got a separate code for every single item. I think people who find themselves in my situation will probably have theirs counted later on, when the physicals ship, unless I get another redemption email late.

Yeah that’s what I think too: I don’t think they can report to Billboard 4 sales since only one actually happened this week and that the physical copies haven’t been shipped yet. If this is how it is actually going, her team really messed up with the codes.

2 minutes ago, Squall said:

Yeah that’s what I think too: I don’t think they can report to Billboard 4 sales since only one actually happened this week and that the physical copies haven’t been shipped yet. If this is how it is actually going, her team really messed up with the codes.

It'll be interesting to see how it shakes out, if we even get a breakdown of what numbers her site reports. I think it will still be incredibly strong, but perhaps less so than it could have been, if a lot of people are experiencing this. I'm still expecting 800k+ from the initial numbers from Billboard, Spotify, etc, but I wonder how many more could have been registered with a code for each and every bundled item in a given cart.

Edited by Cruel Summer

42 minutes ago, Cruel Summer said:

It'll be interesting to see how it shakes out, if we even get a breakdown of what numbers her site reports. I think it will still be incredibly strong, but perhaps less so than it could have been, if a lot of people are experiencing this. I'm still expecting 800k+ from the initial numbers from Billboard, Spotify, etc, but I wonder how many more could have been registered with a code for each and every bundled item in a given cart.

I think there must be a lot of fans who bought at least two copies (including a vinyl?) so it's a MESS :skull: 

Edited by Squall

2 minutes ago, Squall said:

I think there must be a lot of fans bought at least two copies (including a vinyl?) so it's a MESS :skull: 

The thought that a technicality behind the scenes about how many codes were delivered could be what stops her from crossing a million tho :toofunny2:

I'm hopeful that team Taylor will find a way to squeeze every last eligible sale out of the market and report them tho. :fan:

13 minutes ago, Cruel Summer said:

But they'll count all the physical copies when it ships right? And they already said there's no double count of digital and physical copies

2 minutes ago, DesiredConsternation said:

But they'll count all the physical copies when it ships right? And they already said there's no double count of digital and physical copies

I believe that's correct - if they do not report them fully this week, they will report any that have not yet been reported once those copies ship. There should be no double counting and no long-term disappearance of sales, no matter which way they go. A bundle counts as a single copy, and if you buy four bundles, that should eventually count as four copies, even if you only got one digital code that first week.

33 minutes ago, Cruel Summer said:

The thought that a technicality behind the scenes about how many codes were delivered could be what stops her from crossing a million tho :toofunny2:

I'm hopeful that team Taylor will find a way to squeeze every last eligible sale out of the market and report them tho. :fan:

It's actually super frustrating :rip:

Do you think it has a chance of beating Lover's first week?

2 minutes ago, loveofpopculture said:

Do you think it has a chance of beating Lover's first week?

If she somehow does 600k in pure (which would be insane given the album isn't in stores) then yes. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.