HDD: Folklore to debut with +650K

Tistotal

13 minutes ago, onewillowsilk said:

Great numbers, but the numbers for her next album will definitely be interesting because she won't have the cushion of bundles next time. One last hurrah, I guess. 

She literally has like 6 bundles. 50k tops? I'm not sure why ATRL keeps implying this is bundle fueled

Most of it is clearly either physical pre-order, streaming or digital download

Edited by mcohen

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Nova_23

• mcohen

• onewillowsilk

• fridayteenage

8 minutes ago, onewillowsilk said:

Great numbers, but the numbers for her next album will definitely be interesting because she won't have the cushion of bundles next time. One last hurrah, I guess. 

You guys say this every time and every time she delivers :bibliahh:

God what a LEGEND :jonny5:

10 minutes ago, onewillowsilk said:

You clearly misunderstood the rule change, she will always have multiple physical supports and that won’t change anything.

650k+ in the middle of a pandemic, surprise drop, no lead single prior to the album, no physicals available anywhere but her store, no major promo

Just power and talent

sGB8Qgp.gif

11 minutes ago, onewillowsilk said:

She's by far the biggest female act in the USA this century, she is releasing her 8th studio album with these numbers and you call this "one last hurrah". Okay

Whew not her outdoing all my predictions, you better come through Taylor sis

c28uw8s.gif

The fact that she's selling this much and she's never been under 650k with any of her albums-- except the debut.. which obviously cannot sell that much- 15 years into her career... WHO TF DOES THAT?? 

EVEN HATERS CANNOT DENY ANYMORE THAT SHE IS A CERTIFIED LEGEND!!! 

15 minutes ago, onewillowsilk said:

Read that again out loud... I hope you realise how stupid it sounds

14 minutes ago, onewillowsilk said:

Girl :rip: Yes she’s not gonna do more than 500k next time but I don’t see the issue at all. She has never used bundles heavily so this is a dumb comment regardless. Plus she’s literally gonna be on her 9th album and it won’t come for a while probably. How is this one last hurrah for her when her next release will still be one of the biggest of its respective year?

Not to mention y’all have been saying this exact statement with a new excuse every single time for the past decade. “Cute but next time-“ :ahh: 

6 minutes ago, mcohen said:

She literally has like 6 bundles. 50k tops? I'm not sure why ATRL keeps implying this is bundle fueled

Most of it is clearly either physical pre-order, streaming or digital download

There are loads of physicals available on her site and they count twice seeing as they include a separate digital download and the new rules by Billboard that prevent that aren't in effect yet. 

1 minute ago, onewillowsilk said:

There are loads of physicals available on her site and they count twice seeing as they include a separate digital download and the new rules by Billboard that prevent that aren't in effect yet. 

Do you have a source which states that billboard allows double counting? Thanks

5 minutes ago, tiagol88 said:

She's by far the biggest female act in the USA this century, she is releasing her 8th studio album with these numbers and you call this "one last hurrah". Okay

I meant one last hurrah regarding her being able to make use of bundles. Relax. What I wrote wasn't that hard to understand. 

She really has been consistently stomping for over a decade and has not stopped even once :jonny5:

how much would she need to sell for it to have the highest first week sales in history for an alternative/indie album? 

8 minutes ago, onewillowsilk said:

The physical copies don’t count until they’re shipped. 

and you’re literally acting like she’s the only artist who offers a digital download with the physical. All artists do that :rip: So everyone will be affected by the rule changes. Yet even with all the changes, she will still stomp the competition cause she’s always been able to sell physical albums. 

Edited by Nova_23

Seems kinda low for her standards, I suspect they're lowballing her. I'm kind of expecting a little more than Lover numbers with its incredibly strong start on streaming platforms. Would probably be another 1M opening if physical copies were out for sale. :'(

4 minutes ago, Holiest Dreams said:

Girl :rip: Yes she’s not gonna do more than 500k next time but I don’t see the issue at all. She has never used bundles heavily so this is a dumb comment regardless. Plus she’s literally gonna be on her 9th album and it won’t come for a while probably. How is this one last hurrah for her when her next release will still be one of the biggest of its respective year?

Not to mention y’all have been saying this exact statement with a new excuse every single time for the past decade. “Cute but next time-“ :ahh: 

Just so you and everyone else knows, I wasn't taking a shot at her numbers. Even without the new Billboard rules that'll be taking effect in the coming weeks, people just aren't consuming albums in pure and physical sales like they used to. That was evident when Lover didn't debut with 1M units. That had nothing to do with Taylor's commercial powers and everything to do with the general state of the music industry right now. 

I think we'll also notice it whenever Adele decides to drop her album because she won't do nearly as well as she did with 25 because of the massive hit that physical/pure sales have taken, especially in the US. 

Music consumption has mostly transitioned to streaming in the US and beyond the debut week numbers, any album that'll have any sort of longevity or consistency in consumption will have to do well in streaming for the long run and an artist like Taylor whose fans are still very into physical sales will definitely be affected. I will say, it's nice to see folklore have such a strong start on streaming. It proves that most of Taylor's fanbase is finally making the transition into streaming. She'll definitely need their support for future albums. That was my point, explained in a long, unnecessary post. 

1 hour ago, Timber said:

Isn’t that more than Chromatica’s total?

57 minutes ago, Ally Maine said:

Yes, and about three times what The Gift from 1B grossing film The Lion King did. 

53 minutes ago, lcylcy said:

imagine if people don't have to be afraid of the virus and can actually go to CD shops to buy

it's actually more than Beyonce's latest releases combined!

A beast!

Not that Beyonce stan getting clocked like this. :deadbanana4:

OT: She’s definitely doing more than 700K. 

16 minutes ago, mcohen said:

Do you have a source which states that billboard allows double counting? Thanks

I just saw this comment on another forum:

What do u think?

“It's not entirely without physical copies - as there are plenty of physicals available on Taylor's website, and they count twice (since they include a separate digital download - and Billboard's rule prohibiting that doesn't take effect until August). The main thing that's "missing" here is the assortment of Target collector's editions, which have historically been a major factor for Taylor (though if IIRC, not quite as much for Lover).

Now, don't get me wrong, the number is still great for 2020 - and would be even if there WERE Target editions available. I just wanted to point out that Hits' post is a bit misleading, as it treats D2C and physical as mutually exclusive”.

5 minutes ago, Pop Art said:

Seems kinda low for her standards, I suspect they're lowballing her. I'm kind of expecting a little more than Lover numbers with its incredibly strong start on streaming platforms. Would probably be another 1M opening if physical copies were out for sale. :'(

She'll be the first and only artist (so far) to match the debut week numbers for Lover. How is that low? Expectations need to be more realistic moving forward because most major artists who used to easily do 500K+ units in their debut weeks won't be able to do that as consistently anymore, if at all. Physical sales keeps taking a hit year after year in the US. 

1 minute ago, GoodGuyGoneGhetto said:

I just saw this comment on another forum:

What do u think?

“It's not entirely without physical copies - as there are plenty of physicals available on Taylor's website, and they count twice (since they include a separate digital download - and Billboard's rule prohibiting that doesn't take effect until August). The main thing that's "missing" here is the assortment of Target collector's editions, which have historically been a major factor for Taylor (though if IIRC, not quite as much for Lover).

Now, don't get me wrong, the number is still great for 2020 - and would be even if there WERE Target editions available. I just wanted to point out that Hits' post is a bit misleading, as it treats D2C and physical as mutually exclusive”.

Pretty sure bundles only count once. Otherwise songs would be randomly rebounding every time a shipment was ready :lmao: 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.