Survivor: All Stars (ATRL Edition) | FINAL TRIBAL COUNCIL!!!

rl231

• ATRL Moderator

How the hell will we be judging this round?

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• rl231

• Element

• Yvess

• Bey_Rihstan

Top Posters In This Topic

• ATRL Moderator

@Staryu - Please select one of the non-yellow albums for Gateau when you see this. Thanks!

Allie X - Cape God - 6 tracks

Carly Rae Jepsen - Dedicated Side B - 6 tracks

Chloe x Halle - Ungodly Hour - 6 tracks - Tom Vercetti

Dua Lipa - Future Nostalgia - 6 tracks - Bey_Rihstan

Ellie Goulding - Brightest Blue (both sides) - 8 tracks

HAIM - Women in Music, Pt. IIII - 7 tracks

Jessie Ware - What's Your Pleasure? - 6 tracks - kiiwii

Lady Gaga - Chromatica - 7 tracks - dussymob

Meghan Trainor - Treat Myself - 8 tracks - Staryu

Rina Sawayama - Sawayama - 7 tracks

Taylor Swift - Folklore - 8 tracks - Yvess

The Weeknd - After Hours - 7 tracks - Buddy!

• ATRL Moderator
38 minutes ago, supaspaz said:

How the hell will we be judging this round?

Here is the link to last season's judge commentary. Essentially, you are judging if they chose the strongest tracks from the album to showcase in their EP.  Did they create a cohesive EP that is justified by their explanations? Did they cut out the filler/fodder songs from each album?

Here is the scoring rubric they will model their entries after:

Spoiler

Outline

Your entry should have all of the following:

1. Artist Name + EP Title - .5 Pt.
In previous seasons, I've had people choose a new title for their EP whether it be naming it after a single or just a regular album track. You can do that or you can just keep the title and add "EP" to it. Either route will get you the half point.

2. Cover Art - .5 Pt.
Going off the title description, you can keep the regular album cover, use a single cover if you named your EP after that, or use a fanmade cover. Or design your own. Any way gets you the half point.

3. Tracklist - 6 Pts.
Here you'll place your revised tracklist which will have a certain number of tracks depending on the album you choose.

4. Explanation - 3 Pts.
Explain why each track you chose to use for the EP made the cut. You don't need a paragraph for each track. The panel just needs to know why each track made it in comparison to other options.

This adds up to a total of 10 points possible.

If you have any questions, always feel free to ask. Below are the albums you have to choose from, and the number of tracks you will be reducing each album to.

3 hours ago, Element said:

@Staryu - Please select one of the non-yellow albums for Gateau when you see this. Thanks!

Allie X - Cape God - 6 tracks

Carly Rae Jepsen - Dedicated Side B - 6 tracks

Chloe x Halle - Ungodly Hour - 6 tracks - Tom Vercetti

Dua Lipa - Future Nostalgia - 6 tracks - Bey_Rihstan

Ellie Goulding - Brightest Blue (both sides) - 8 tracks

HAIM - Women in Music, Pt. IIII - 7 tracks

Jessie Ware - What's Your Pleasure? - 6 tracks - kiiwii

Lady Gaga - Chromatica - 7 tracks - dussymob

Meghan Trainor - Treat Myself - 8 tracks - Staryu

Rina Sawayama - Sawayama - 7 tracks

Taylor Swift - Folklore - 8 tracks - Yvess

The Weeknd - After Hours - 7 tracks - Buddy!

Dedicated Side B I guess 

3 hours ago, Staryu said:

Dedicated Side B I guess 

this is an interesting choice tbh. for one, there is supa who is one of the biggest carly stans i know. and then there's clue who is not that much fond of her. good luck to gateau tbh.

good luck to everyone <3

• ATRL Moderator
11 hours ago, Anthem said:

Britney Spears - Glory (By Demand) - 13 tracks - Anthem

Hlz5rng.gif

Don't forget "Hard to Forget Ya"!

Hlz5rng.gif

• ATRL Moderator

entries sent to the judges

• ATRL Moderator

Not me having to listen to a Meghan Trainor album for this challenge...

• ATRL Moderator

@Yvess, you did absolute most, but I respect the hustle.

5 hours ago, supaspaz said:

@Yvess, you did absolute most, but I respect the hustle.

Is this a sign for me to log off of atrl before i see the results? :cries:

i2aGM02.png

@Bey_Rihstan @Buddy! @dussymob @kiiwii

@Staryu @Tom Vercetti @Yvess @Gateau

Welcome castaways to your 14th results show! The judges have scored all of your entries out of 10, and I will now reveal their comments and scores.

After I reveal the scores, I will post the final results which will include how you ranked against all castaways, and finally the overall rankings after this round.

With that said, here are your entries…

Spoiler
On 8/1/2020 at 1:41 PM, dussymob said:

Lady Gaga

Chromatica: The EP

Lady_Gaga_-_Chromatica_(Official_Album_C

1. Replay
  2. 911
  3. Alice
  4. Babylon
  5. Plastic Doll
  6. Enigma
  7. Rain On Me

The EP starts with REPLAY as Gaga feels stuck in a loop of an unhealthy relationship with herself and this brings us on a journey of her trying to recover and rejuvenate from it. She’s calling out for help in 911, hoping something or someone could help her end the pain as she uses antipsychotic medication for it. This causes her to lose herself and began to seek for her wonderland in ALICE. The singer takes this journey to run past all her issues like BABYLON with gossip and PLASTIC DOLL as she confronts those who gossip on her. She reaches an ENIGMA with love and tells her lover she can be anything he wants. The EP concludes with RAIN ON ME as Gaga celebrates her hardships and strive to get through them no matter what.(edited)

On 8/1/2020 at 9:05 AM, Gateau said:

1. Artist Name + EP Title - .5 Pt.
CRJ - Dedicated Side C

2. Cover Art - .5 Pt.
ddo3bhb-f560ea47-afcd-49fb-b969-d802eccb

3. Tracklist - 6 Pts.
1. window

2. this is what they say

3. fake mona lisa

4. comeback

5. solo

6. heartbeat

4. Explanation - 3 Pts.
i just think the songs r cute

On 8/1/2020 at 11:59 AM, Tom Vercetti said:

Chloe x Halle - Six Ungodly Weeks 

iCFEkWQ.jpg

3. Tracklist:

1. Do it

2. Baby Girl

3. Tipsy

4. Forgive Me

5. Don't Make It Harder On Me

6. Ungodly Hour

This EP depicts a chronological journey of young sisters who have blossomed into their early 20s and are mature enough to handle the world with their newfound confidence. Facing early adulthood, there's signs of empowerment, sovereignty, and intimacy. I named the EP Six Ungodly Weeks because of each of the six tracks represent a different week that occurs in their life, and it shows how Chloe x Halle deal with each scenario that comes from life being dynamic and unpredictable.

Week 1:

I chose Do It as the opener because it gives us a first glimpse of who Chloe x Halle are as people. They're young, sexy, confident and are ready to live life to the fullest. From the first few lyrics;

"Yeah, I beat my face, Movin' fast' cause the Uber on the way"

They don't have time to waste. Do It is an uptempo anthem that shows that starts their journey by having no obligations, no drama, and no worries. Their only focus at the moment is partying it up with friends and not giving off negative energy because negative energy ages people and they intend to keep their youth.

Week 2: 

The next track I chose to represent the second week is Baby Girl. It's a reflection of the first week they had of glamorizing and living it up. Even though, they're living the moment, they still have some inner demons that they need to confront. Despite these inner demons, they remind themselves of their self-worth, and continue to focus on the positives that they're blessed with.

"Do it for the girls, all around the world"

The post-chorus contains a fitting reference to Do It so it makes sense that this song comes after it. Chloe x Halle were never this outgoing when they were younger and with their new looks and inner strength, they are able to set an example for all the other young girls out there who wants to win the battle against insecurity. 

Week 3:

The past couple of weeks Chloe x Halle have been living the single life but now they're ready for a relationship. I chose Tipsy as the third track because it introduces the relationship and intimacy experience that will be continued to be talked about for the rest of the EP.  It also keeps a similar energy as the previous tracks sonically. Despite contrary responses, I believe tipsy contributes to the centerpiece of this journey. It exposes the more fanatical side of the sisters that we haven't seen before. It's also a sign that the boy doesn't have a clue on what he may be getting himself into.

"You're strumming on my heartstrings, don't be dumb
If you love your little life, then don't **** up"

That's the main warning the guy gets if he manages to mess up and screw around. From the first track, chloe x halle already announced that their life moves too quickly to deal with bs. They don't have time for games. 

Week 4:

A week later, the guy screws up and is caught by Chloe x Halle. The perfect track for this scenario is Forgive Me.  They aren't willing to linger on the relationship and wants to end it immediately.

"So forgive me, no, not really
Best believe I'll move onto better things"

They are quite unapologetic with their decision to not continue. 

Week 5: 

With another week to recollect themselves after the breakup, Chloe x Halle are ready to move on and get in touch a new person of interest. However, the same guy that they broke up with last week is still trying to find a way back in their life. For the 5th track I chose Don't Make It Harder On Me because it confirms that while they are not together at the moment, the girls still have some feelings for the guy they broke up with. They cannot fully mask the hurt and struggle they have within despite projecting an unbothered attitude on the previous song.  The nature of this song connects to the signs of vulnerability that the sisters have. 

"So you need to stop bein' so nice to me
'Cause a part of me has moved on
But a part of me is so weak"

This track detracts from the usual fast-pace songs and transitions into a slower pace. It also serves as a mood-setter for the final track of the EP.

Week 6:

The last week of this journey warrants self-reflection. Both parties have been moving too fast in their past relationship and now they want to take things a little slower. After a couple of weeks of getting past heartache and coping, they are actually willing to give the guy another chance. However, it will take time to rebuild as they mentioned "I don't have the time, to teach you how to love all over again" 

"When you decide you like yourself (Holler at me)
When you decide you need someone (Call up on me)
When you don't have to think about it
Love me at the ungodly hour"

I chose Ungodly Hour as the closer because I wanted to end the EP with the most progressive track. There's a time where we all have to settle down and take things slower as we get older. Chloe x Halle now understand this, which is why they're willing to see if bridges can be reconnected without abruptly dismissing it. They're willing to look past drama in the exchange for more secure love. 

On 8/1/2020 at 11:19 AM, Buddy! said:

The Weeknd- "Bleeding Heart"

6wrfujj5kuh41.jpg

"Bleeding Heart" the new EP by pop/R&B superstar The Weeknd tells the story of an aching heart, that struggles to combat his own personal demons.The EP navigates through Abels's volatile love life, starting first with the exploration of a chaotic and destructive break up in "Heartless" and "Blinding Lights", leading into an extended phase of growth and learning in "Save Your Tears" / "Hardest To Love" / "Scared To Live" before ending with with a calming period of reflection in "In Your Eyes" and "After Hours," - a song which serves as an apology letter for his past transgressions. Sonically, it's one of his most cohesive projects to date; featuring hard beats as well as 80s synthesizers. It's almost a blast from the past but keeping it very modern and true to himself, while also having that edginess we crave from his music.

Destruction

1. Heartless.

The EP opener, which sets the tone for the project, shows The Weeknd in his most vulnerable state: under the influence of drugs, as well as acknowledging his partying habits. "I lost my heart and my mind" Abel sings, almost as if he's crying for help. The song bridges together the pain of his love life, as well as the pain and hopelessness he feels from being famous. 

2. Blinding Lights

One of the catchiest songs from the album, "Blinding Lights" finds Abel singing about an on and off relationship (presumably with Bella Hadid.)

"I said, ooh, I'm blinded by the lights
No, I can't sleep until I feel your touch
I said, ooh, I'm drowning in the night
Oh, when I'm like this, you're the one I trust
I'm just walking by to let you know (by to let you know)
I can never say it on the phone (say it on the phone)
Will never let you go this time (ooh)
I said, ooh, I'm blinded by the lights
No, I can't sleep until I feel your touch"

In the line “I can't sleep until I feel your touch” especially, we get the sense that his partner is acting as a drug to him - he is physically addicted to them, which feels both euphoric and dangerous. This projects a further sense of volatility and chaos at this point in the tracklist.

Learning

3. Save Your Tears

"Save Your Tears" acts as the perfection bridge between the chaotic nature of the first section of the EP. The song, which shows Abel recollects his past mistakes and experiences he went through with his ex. However, he also provides no emotional support for her.

"Take me back 'cause I wanna stay
Save your tears for another
Save your tears for another day
Save your tears for another day

So, I made you think that I would always stay
I said some things that I should never say
Yeah, I broke your heart like someone else did to mine
And now you won't love me for a second time"

It really highlights the fact that he's learning, but still has a lot to learn about himself and how other people may react to him.

4. Hardest to Love

"Hardest to love" finds Abel talking about his past mistakes in relationships, blaming himself for it's demise. He knows he may be the problem here, and seems determined to fix his behavior. The song is unique instrumentally, belonging to "liquid drum & bass" which is a genre of electronica. It highlights his willingness to dive into different genres and experiment.

5. Scared to Live

A ballad which samples Elton John's "Your song" is a haunting song about how a hard breakup left him and his lover doubting their love.

"I know things will never be the same
Time we lost will never be replaced
I'm the reason you forgot love"

"Scared to live" really connects "Learning" to "Reflection" in the EP. It shows growth in himself, and full acknowledgement that chasing the same love over and over again won't work.

Reflection

6. In Your Eyes

An 80s inspired-synth heavy song with a saxophone outro gives us that throwback sound that we love. It's tone and lyrics speak of someone who's vulnerable to love and passion. It's again, an album highlight and features Abel singing about "giving himself up to the feelings he can see in his lover and how that makes him feel." It shows Abel reflecting his own feelings and learning to see himself in someone else's eyes.

"In your eyes

I see there's something burning inside you
Oh, inside you
In your eyes
I know it hurts to smile but you try to
Oh, you try to
You always try to hide the pain
You always know just what to say
I always look the other way
I'm blind, I'm blind
In your eyes, you lie, but I don't let it define you"

7. After Hours

The closing track for "Bleeding Heart" and "Reflection." The song is sonically haunting, the beat is engraved in your mind, echoing his emotions beat after beat. 

"Oh, baby
Where are you now when I need you most?
I'd give it all just to hold you close
Sorry that I broke your heart, your heart"

The song addresses a failed relationship that ended in heartbreak and serves as an apology letter for his past transgressions, as he desires reconciliation. This finishes the project on a tantalizing cliffhanger, and it remains to be seen where the relationship will go from here. Whether Abel's moments of learning and reflection will save the relationship is left in the air, for now

On 8/1/2020 at 6:45 AM, Bey_Rihstan said:

83868807_191279312118320_258488611585081

Dua Lipa - The Future Nostalgia EP

Tracklist

Don't Start Now

Levitating

Hallucinate

Love Again

Physical

Break My Heart

Explanations

Don't Start Now: What's a pop project without an anthem? This future classic perfectly encapsulates the late 70's - early 80's disco sound that Ms. Lipa was inspired by. The lyrics depict Dua walking through the depths of hell to find her happiness once more, something i'm sure everyone can relate to in some way or another. 

Levitating: Another anthem. Ack! This is a track that'll make even your old ass granny move and groove a bit. This easy breezy summery bop is one perfect for hitting the town. The breakdown and subsequent call and response portion of the song is amazing. The lyrics may not necessarily be the greatest but the vibe, coupled with Dua's androgynous vocals makes for a legendary listen.

Hallucinate: Definitely a highlight in Dua's discography. Dua goes awf from start to finish. Catchy lyrics, a hot instrumental, sex appeal and vocals! I don't have much to say here. The song speaks for itself! 

Love Again: Another fav. I added this one to bring a bit of diversity to the EP without bringing down the quality. This is another 70's inspired bop with lyrics that are easy for most to relate to. The verses contain some of the best lyrics on Future Nostalgia. The melodic strings help bring out the emotion Dua was intending to convey in her message. 

Physical: The song makes me wanna do a line in the bathroom of a Gay Club. Or hm... i guess do a high energy exercise or something...That's how iconic it is from beginning to end. Dua went in and constructed yet another anthemic pop masterpiece that, once again, adheres to the 80's disco pop theme of Future Nostalgia. Full of Energy. 

Break My Heart: Queen of relatability. is that a word? idk. But I can relate to this piece of well-crafted art. It's a fun song and Dua was ad-libbing for filth throughout the record. Break My Heart is the perfect record for my revised version of 'Future Nostalgia'. I wanted to pick high energy songs that also had replay value and this one may just have the most. 

On 8/1/2020 at 4:04 AM, kiiwii said:

Jessie Ware – One Night

DXIJP0q.png

Tracklist:

1. Soul Control

2. Read My Lips

3. Step Into My Life

4. What's Your Pleasure?

5. The Kill

6. Spotlight

Soul Control” opens up this EP. Jessie and a man have their eyes locked on the other during the whole night. Throughout this song, the two of them tiptoe around the obvious attraction for each other, but Jessie simply cannot deny the electricity between the two while dancing.

Read My Lips” continues the night off with Jessie wanting this man to make his move already. She’s tired of prolonging the inevitable and is ready for him to realize her desire for him by reading the print of her kiss.

In “Step Into My Life”, Jessie reaches a peak and announces that she wants this alluring man in her life, or in this case, for one night. She wishes for him to create harmony along with her.

And harmony is indeed created back at her place. “What’s Your Pleasure?” describes the two engaging in lovemaking. She wants no less than for this man to to feel pleasure, continuously wishing to please her lover.

As their encounter begins to end in “The Kill”, Jessie’s lover also begins his departure. But Jessie isn’t ready for that just yet, because she’s quickly become attached. She openly admits to this man, despite knowing how complicated it is, that he is someone who has made her feel immense emotions in just one night.

But her words fall on deaf ears in the closing track “Spotlight”. She confesses she’d do anything to make him stay. She laments that with the sun beginning to rise, their passion filled night ultimately comes to an end. Still, she can’t help herself from reminiscing over the their short tryst during the moonlight.

On 8/1/2020 at 12:26 AM, Yvess said:

TAYLOR

SWIFT

FOLKLORE

COVER ART

hv2jw7988w3g.png

TRACKLIST

I. invisible string

V. illicit affairs

II. august

VI. the 1

III. betty

VII. this is

me trying

IV. cardigan

VIII. exile

(feat. Bon Iver)

q1w7vqxzg4cx.png

EXPLANATION

Let me start it off by saying that Folklore by Taylor Swift found its way to be imprinted on me. Coming up with an EP out of a 16-track album is a hard yet rewarding because doing it feels like I just found a memoir of handwritten letters meticulously tied up with ribbon and without knowing, I open up myself into a new world in the eyes of whoever wrote them. I kept the title as Folklore since there's no other words that perfectly captures and describes the experience of listening to a collection of indie folk/alternative folk songs with such great lyricism and storytelling. This EP will take you into a journey of stories and I came up with the the tracklist making sure that the 8 standout songs from Folklore will be showcased while also featuring the perspectives of James, Betty and the other girl aka The Love Triangle. Get ready for a wild and emotional ride as we dive deep with the easter eggs that Taylor wonderfully placed on each track and here is my interpretation of it. In this essay I will----

I. invisible string

"and isn't it just so pretty

to think all along there was

some  Invisible string

tying you to me?"

https://i.imgur.com/aGkffc7.gif

We open the album with "invisible string", a soft and melodic track that beautifully references the whole thing of the EP being connected by fate. Our opening track is perfectly placed to set up the mood for the storytelling I will be doing with this EP, I'd like to think of this track as Betty's way of expressing her feelings to James and how she thinks they are destined to be together. Folklore is a lyrical masterpiece and this track talked about time and destiny in an ethereal way.

II. august

"august slipped away like a

bottle of wine

because you were

never mine"

https://i.imgur.com/3nUqSf1.gif

"august", is a track told from the perspective of the girl James cheats with. It tells the story of a short-lived summer love with such melancholic lyrics that really shows how the other girl cared for james and he deluded her but she still believed in that affair. She knew James wasn’t only hers, she knew damn well that she was the illicit affair (we will get to this later on) but she was living in the hope that they could become something more than a ‘summer thing’. The narrator of this track hoped until the end because he gave her that hope and got ultimately hurt, all of this with the most beautiful and nostalgic music.

III. betty

"and the worst thing that

I ever did to you

was what I did to you"

https://i.imgur.com/Yh1UVRy.gif

I believe "betty" is reminiscent to Taylor's country roots that also cleverly uses guitar with harmonica accompanied with vivid storytelling and dramatic shift of lyrics from past tense to present tense will take us to James' point of view. This is where he comes back to school after his summer fling and finds out Betty knows that he cheated with another girl. This is all about James wanting to win Betty back as he tries to patch things up and reflects on the summer fling as a big mistake. This track  also references Betty "standing in her cardigan", which is highly essential to the next track of this EP.

IV. cardigan

"I knew you'd miss me

once the thrill expired

and you'd be standing in my

front porch light"

https://i.imgur.com/4689WSY.gif

Here comes the wonderful track that easily makes it as my favorite first single ever from Taylor Swift and it is entitled "cardigan", which comes from the perspective of Betty who finds out about James' affair,  she sings about someone chasing two girls and losing the one, implying James really want them back together with a line in the chorus "you put me on and said I was your favourite". This track gives me the vibes of a beautiful influence between Lana Del Rey and Sufjan Stevens and I love every bit of it.

V. illicit

affairs

"and you know damn well

for you,

I would ruin myself

a million little times"

https://i.imgur.com/kxwS0MD.gif

We move forward now with a track that has one of the most deepest, heartbreaking lyrics of the EP and its "illicit affairs", a track that takes us back to the perspective of the other girl who really is in love with James despite knowing that she is the illicit affair. The track definitely tackles infidelity and its highs and lows, I personally love how this track genuinely details how much a heartbreak infidelity inevitably results in. The self-destructive lyrics of wanting to partake in an illicit affair just to feel the magic of love is beautifully shown in this track.

VI. the 1

“I persist and resist the

temptation to ask you, if one thing

had been different, would

everything be different today?”

https://i.imgur.com/3AACxIJ.gif

Another huge favorite of mine is up next and it is the track that has a bouncy tune accompanied with hard-hitting lyrics, "the 1" brings us back to Betty's perspective which tells us that she is coming to terms with the fact that her relationship with James is completely over. Despite the song being catchy to me sonically, this song actually punches me in the gut every time I hear it is because the narrator here is trying so hard to be casual about it the "what-ifs" of their relationship. You can sense just how badly she wanted it to work out with James but it is too late. Also, the juxtaposition of pretending to be over it but still being haunted by the what-ifs is really makes the song a strong choice to be included in this EP.

VII. this is me

trying

"and it's hard to be at a party
when I feel like an open wound"

https://i.imgur.com/yVL3yYD.gif

A track where I can also personally relate with my anxiety issues in life is up next, "this is me trying" is a MUST for this album as I can also connect it to James. The track can be read from his perspective as he regrets how his relationship with Betty is ending. I love the way how the final “at least I’m trying” being sung reminds me of the feeling of talking to someone when you’re on the verge of tears and your voice starts to crack. This track also has a line - “and it’s hard to be at a party when i feel like an open wound” that I can boldly say that it can be one of the most painful lyrics in Taylor's whole discography!

VIII. exile

(feat. Bon Iver)

"I think I've seen this film before

and I didn't like the ending"

https://i.imgur.com/FgqC74J.gif

The EP will be closed with a bang and "exile" is the best way to end this deeply emotional journey of a teenage love triangle. This track can be interpreted as Betty (Taylor) and James (Vernon) singing to each other at the end of their relationship, I can't get over how Taylor layers ‘I gave so many signs’ repeatedly over Vernon as he completely ignores it and keeps singing his own part and by doing that, he simply mirrors him ignoring her signs in the relationship. That thing alone fits perfectly the eventual end of James and Betty. This powerful collaboration is an aesthetic highlight to Folklore as we can see the striking similarities between Vernon’s and Swift’s styles that will satisfy the authentic and all natural crowd/demographic that Folklore really wants to achieve its legitimacy from and that's why having exile as the EP's final track really makes perfect sense.

Final Words

Taylor Swift bravely departures from her comfort zones as she goes to an indie folk, alternative rock, electro-folk, and chamber pop this time around and all I can say is she gave us a career highlight. This EP benefits from the tracks that creates such sensory with the use of clever lyricism that evokes emotion and that's a smart way to show maturity in her musicality. I love Folklore so much that cutting it down to an 8-track EP seemed to be a good and happy problem because all I have to do is pick the strongest songs that I personally like and how can they creatively contribute to the storytelling of the teenage love triangle tale that I want to present in Folklore. Each track I chose are gems by their own right so much that they give justice to the beauty of Folklore and also to the lore of James, Betty and the other girl embroiled in a love triangle. With that being said, Folklore has truly imprinted on me. Folklore weaves a collection of stories/fictions but it's also honest and raw at the same time. It's her best work sonically/lyrically and this EP's way of presenting a story is what I always had in the back of my mind and I can’t wait to adore it for eternity.

Here's a Playlist I made for this EP: Folklore (EP) by Yvess

On 7/30/2020 at 1:03 PM, Staryu said:

Meghan THEE Trainor - Treat Myself 

XZ1de7J.pngqaxPekf.png

1. Nice to Meet Ya
2. Blink
3. Evil Twin
4. No Excuses
5. Genetics
6. Wave
7. Ashes
8. Workin' On It

I thought Nice to Meet Ya was an appropriate opener, hello, nice to meet ya, look I got Nicki Minaj on a song.  Blink is just a cute little bop, safe track number 2.

Evil Twin and No Excuses worked together because Meghan is making excuses for her wild actions (buying dildos) and blaming bad decisions on her "evil twin", while No Excuses is continuing that on the chorus "someone else, you must have confused me confused me with someone else".

I thought Genetics production fit well after No Excuses and it's a bop that features Nicole Scherzinger, so it had to be included. 

Wave, Ashes, and Workin' On It slow down the wild sex toy party and end the night on a more serious, self-reflective note. 

Results are next...

including window for dedicated side b was a choice

12 minutes ago, touya kinomoto said:

including window for dedicated side b was a choice

imma keep it real

i didnt listen to the album

i2aGM02.png

The Results

Bey_Rihstan - Dua Lipa - Future Nostalgia

• Clue
    • Artist Name + EP Title - 0.5/0.5
    • Cover Art - 0.5/0.5
    • Tracklist - 5.5/6
    • Explanation - 3/3
    • Total - 9.5/10 - This is what I wish Dua did with the album. Focus it on the heavy-hitting 70/80s disco songs. I personally feel like Levitating would get the axe along with songs like Pretty Please and Cool. They’re all very generic.
  • Dylan
    • Artist Name + EP Title - 0.50.5
    • Cover Art - 0.5/0.5
    • Tracklist - 5/6
    • Explanation - 3/3
    • Total - 9/10 - I could’ve done without either Levitating or Love Again. I definitely think Cool should’ve been on here. However, your explanations were nice and your tracklist flows very well as is to be honest. 
  • Supaspaz
    • Cover Art - 0.5/0.5
    • Tracklist - 5/6
    • Explanation - 3/3
    • Total - 9/10 - A very enjoyable listen. I like how you followed the flow of the original album, with its alternating up-and-down energy. But I can’t forgive you for leaving off the song of the year, “Cool.”

Buddy! - The Weeknd - After Hours

• Clue
    • Cover Art - 0.5/0.5
    • Tracklist - #/6
    • Explanation - 3/3
    • Total - 10/10 - Congratulations. You made this album bearable! Your explanation was put together perfectly.
  • Dylan
    • Artist Name + EP Title - #/0.5
    • Cover Art - 0.5/0.5
    • Tracklist - 6/6
    • Explanation - 3/3
    • Total - 10/10 - Tracklist works very well. Your explanation was great. Some people try to do the MOST with this round (in previous seasons) and I like that you were attentive/detailed without being obnoxious.
  • Supaspaz
    • Cover Art - 0.5/0.5
    • Tracklist - 6/6
    • Explanation - 3/3
    • Total - 10/10 - I appreciate how much thought you clearly put into the story arc that you were trying to convey. I could definitely follow it through. You took an ambitious swing at this challenge and you pulled it off.

dussymob - Lady Gaga - Chromatica

• Clue
    • Cover Art - 0.5/0.5
    • Tracklist - 3/6
    • Explanation - 1.5/3
    • Total - 5.5/10 - You kinda jumped all over the place with your explanation. You pretty much had me with the first three tracks, and then Babylon and Plastic Doll ruined the flow. You had one narrative going with the first three songs and then a whole ‘nother storyline begins. Like where did Enigma come from? When did she start another relationship? So tracks 1-3 and Rain on Me would work together as an EP, but including the other tracks really hurt you.
  • Dylan
    • Cover Art - 0.5/0.5
    • Tracklist - 4/6
    • Explanation - 2/3
    • Total - 7/10 - So glad Alice made the cut. I think your tracklist works well lyrically but it doesn’t flow so well sonically. Babylon feels like an odd track to place in the middle of any project. I also find Replay to be a rather horrible song so I wasn’t stoked to see it make the final cut. Explanation was good overall but maybe left a little to be imagined based on the tracklist choices you made. 
  • Supaspaz
    • Cover Art - 0.5/0.5
    • Tracklist - 4.5/6
    • Explanation - 2/3
    • Total - 7.5/10 - Chromatica is a rather dire album, so I commend you for making it through that minefield. It feels like you might have given the tracklist more thought than Gaga herself, though putting “Babylon” in the middle threw me off from your arc. I wish you could have found a way to instead work in “Free Woman,” one of the few highlights.

Gateau - Carly Rae Jepsen - Dedicated Side B

• Clue
    • Cover Art - 0.5/0.5
    • Tracklist - 5/6
    • Explanation - 0/3
    • Total - 6/10 - You going to jail for that explanation ma’am! I’ve never heard this album, and you definitely didn’t make me want to hear it.
  • Dylan
    • Cover Art - 0.5//0.5
    • Tracklist - 5/6
    • Explanation - 0/3
    • Total - 6/10 - I wish Stay Away and/or Summer Love made your tracklist but otherwise pretty good. I’m down with to the point explanations but c’mon. A basic this is a fun EP about blah blah and these are my favorite tracks could have gotten you somewhere. 
  • Supaspaz
    • Cover Art - 0.5/0.5
    • Tracklist - 4/6
    • Explanation - 0/3
    • Total - 5/10 - Something more than the most basic effort would have been appreciated. At least “Window” made the cut.

kiiwii - Jessie Ware - What’s Your Pleasure?

• Clue
    • Cover Art - 0.5/0.5
    • Tracklist - 4/6
    • Explanation - 3/3
    • Total - 8/10 - First of all, you ate her team alive with that album cover. Your tracklist is super weak for me. Read My Lips and Step into My Life are obvious filler, for example. And I cannot believe you didn’t include Save a Kiss. Anyway, your explanation and the narrative that you created was EXCELLENT, and it saved you from getting a flop score from me.
  • Dylan
    • Cover Art - 0.5/0.5
    • Tracklist - 6/6
    • Explanation - 2/3
    • Total - 9/10 - Not going to lie, this is the one album I had to “listen” to because I haven’t heard already. I think your tracklist is lovely and captures the general hot fling thing going on in the album. You centralized on that theme well. I just wish your explanation had some sort of reasoning beyond the lyrical basis because you explain the tracks well but it’s moreso just what the tracks lyrics are about.
  • Supaspaz
    • Cover Art - 0.5/0.5
    • Tracklist - 4.5/6
    • Explanation - 3/3
    • Total - 8.5/10 - Where is “Save a Kiss”?!?!?! That tragic omission aside, I see where you were going with the story you wanted to tell. I’m not completely enamored with the musical flow of your tracklist, though “Spotlight” works surprisingly well as the closer.

Staryu - Meghan Trainor - Treat Myself

• Clue
    • Cover Art - 0.5/0.5
    • Tracklist - 5/6
    • Explanation - 2/3
    • Total - 8/10 - Well, I did NOT see this coming.
  • Dylan
    • Cover Art - 0.5/0.5
    • Tracklist - 5/6
    • Explanation - 2.5/3
    • Total - 8.5/10 - Evil Twin?! Tyra NOOO!! I get why you kept No Excuses because you needed another uptempo but I would’ve included After You as well because it’s a genuinely beautiful moment for Meghan. Otherwise no major complaints here. All aboard the M train. 
  • Supaspaz
    • Cover Art - 0.5/0.5
    • Tracklist - 5/6
    • Explanation - 2.5/3
    • Total - 8.5/10 - This was more bearable than I expected and your presentation made me cackle. Could it have been better? Who has time in this life to listen to a full Meghan Trainor album and find out?

Tom Vercetti - Chloe x Halle - Ungodly Hour

• Clue
    • Cover Art - 0.5/0.5
    • Tracklist - 6/6
    • Explanation - 3/3
    • Total - 10/10 - Yup yup yup. I loved your approach.
  • Dylan
    • Cover Art - 0.5/0.5
    • Tracklist - 6/6
    • Explanation - 2.5/3
    • Total - 9.5/10 - This is a little content heavy but I actually don’t have any specific issues with the tracks selected or the way they flow. I just have a particular favorite entry this round and this was up there but not quite it for me.
  • Supaspaz
    • Cover Art - 0.5/0.5
    • Tracklist - 5/6
    • Explanation - 3/3
    • Total - 9/10 - This album has been on my list for a while, so I wanted to give it a spin before diving into your EP. A slay! Chloe x Little Mermaid served me what B7 didn’t. I’m disappointed you left off most of my favorite tracks (“Busy Boy,” “Lonely,” “ROYL”). That said, the vibe carries through well, even if the order is perhaps overly justified.

Yvess - Taylor Swift - Folklore

• Clue
    • Cover Art - 0.5/0.5
    • Tracklist - 5.5/6
    • Explanation - 3/3
    • Total - 9.5/10 - We’re not judging presentation, but I just wanna commend you for how well your entry was laid out visually. And I’d like to know how you did the tabling (if you used tabling). Anyway, your storytelling was a nice approach to the challenge.
  • Dylan
    • Cover Art - 0.5/0.5
    • Tracklist - 6/6
    • Explanation - 2.5/3
    • Total - 9.5/10 - Definitely the most endearing entry this round. I was very confused by the Betty narrative until I realized that’s the title of one of the songs. I almost wish you had renamed the EP something to do with Betty because it would have helped your explanation not seem so… out there? I really like what you did here and your EP had enough tracks to justify a story compared to some. Your tracklist included all the necessary tracks without straying from your vision. I just personally feel one entry was stronger than yours and that you were a bit content heavy this round.
  • Supaspaz
    • Cover Art - 0.5/0.5
    • Tracklist - 6/6
    • Explanation - 3/3
    • Total - 10/10 - Great presentation, beautiful presentation. The first time I listened to Folklore, I was honestly overwhelmed. It’s an undeniably strong album, but it was also kind of a slog to get through all of those long, heavy songs. Perhaps an edit was what it needed. You condensed it here around a clear and convincing storyline. You also bookended your tracklist with my two favorites. If you left off anything that should have made the cut, I can’t remember.

Final results next...

i2aGM02.png

ttg2yda.png

Overall Rankings

1. Buddy! 10.00

2. Yvess 9.67

3. Tom Vercetti 9.50

4. Bey_Rihstan 9.17

5. Kiiwii 8.50

6. Staryu 8.33

7. dussymob 6.67

8. Gateau 5.67

Cumulative Rankings

1. EriKills 9.18

2. Kipperskipper 8.91

3. Tom Vercetti 8.41

4. Yvess 8.30

4. Lucky#17 8.30

6. Gateau 8.21

6. Kiiwii 8.21

8. Buddy! 8.05

9. dussymob 7.76

10. Bey_Rihstan 7.59

11. Staryu 7.49

12. thecptz 7.37

And with that, with an average of a 10 - congrats, Buddy! You have won individual immunity and a spot in the top 7!

3bgVnN9.png

Tribal Council will be posted later, but votes are due at 5:30 PM EDT tomorrow, good luck!

Edited by rl231

5 minutes ago, rl231 said:

Chloe x Little Mermaid served me what B7 didn’t.

Excuse me supa 

23 minutes ago, Bey_Rihstan said:

Excuse me supa 

Girl brandy’s album is BAD 

29 minutes ago, Dylan' said:

Girl brandy’s album is BAD 

ffsvvs

omf everyone is so dramatics

its ok. & a grower. But it’s no worse than the last two tbh. I like 12/15 songs 

Buddy! winning. Loves it.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.