Feedback Wanted in ATRL's First Townhall Read more... ×

Tennis | Aus Open | Venus prepares for 8th slam

22,012 posts in this topic

legendofthetour

Murray.. I feel so bad for him, it wasn’t supposed to end this way. I always think back to the end of 2016 and wonder whether that long hard push he made to get to #1 was worth it in the long run, seen as though his body never recovered. I’m so heartbroken, what sad new to wake up to. :cries:

Gui Blackout

Andy :weeps:

I'm absolutely heartbroken. It's so unfair. I can't even find the words. 

Gui Blackout

This is really the beginning of the end. I didn't expect Andy to be the first, but here we are. Federer is retiring next year max, Nadal also just has a couple of years left (even that, if his body allows). Serena and Sharapova next year max as well...

Tennis as we know it is over. By the end of 2020 i think pretty much all the stars will be retired.

legendofthetour
1 minute ago, Gui Blackout said:

This is really the beginning of the end. I didn't expect Andy to be the first, but here we are. Federer is retiring next year max, Nadal also just has a couple of years left (even that, if his body allows). Serena and Sharapova next year max as well...

Tennis as we know it is over. By the end of 2020 i think pretty much all the stars will be retired.

I feel like so many of them are going to go after the Olympics.

Bey Admired

I will miss Andy! A feminist icon! 

Fetch
2 hours ago, legendofthetour said:

I feel like so many of them are going to go after the Olympics.

I felt that would happen after 2016 too tho 

ynneg

Andy is one of the best players of his generation, a true champion both on and off the court, that used his privileged position to shine a light on inequality and sexism in tennis. I hope he'll get to play one more Wimbledon.

dabunique
5 hours ago, Gui Blackout said:

welcome to my world when all my faves retired in da 90's and 00's

i'm so sad over Andy, he deserves so much more

dabunique

my faves were always

Chris Evert

Martina Navritilova

Zina Garrison

Jennifer Capriati

Pete Sampras

Andre Agassi

Sergi Bruguera

once they left i started rooting for new players like

Venus Williams

Martina Hingis

Rafa

Once they leave i'll pick up new youngins

Fetch
3 minutes ago, dabunique said:

my faves were always

Chris Evert

Martina Navritilova

Zina Garrison

Jennifer Capriati

Pete Sampras

Andre Agassi

Sergi Bruguera

once they left i started rooting for new players like

Venus Williams

Martina Hingis

Rafa

Once they leave i'll pick up new youngins

I knew someone with a Frank Ocean avi would serve TASTE.

I went...

Hingis 

Dokic

Dementieva

Radwanska

I dont mind Stephens, Pliskova, Kerber, Osaka and Barty, but I’m no stan. I’m pinning my hopes on Anisimova and Kostyuk. 

dabunique
1 minute ago, Fetch said:

I knew someone with a Frank Ocean avi would serve TASTE.

I went...

Hingis 

Dokic

Dementieva

Radwanska

I dont mind Stephens, Pliskova, Kerber, Osaka and Barty, but I’m no stan. I’m pinning my hopes on Anisimova and Kostyuk. 

i like Sloane so she's a fave and i've been watching Osaka for a few years now so another fave, i need to put more effort into da men's

da americans aren't it right now but i still support

Fetch
1 minute ago, dabunique said:

i like Sloane so she's a fave and i've been watching Osaka for a few years now so another fave, i need to put more effort into da men's

da americans aren't it right now but i still support

I only support the sexy men and Rafa :cm:

dabunique
1 minute ago, Fetch said:

I only support the sexy men and Rafa :cm:

well if u put it dat way .. let's support lol

Ugh i love Rafa so much, he's such a legend and a king

to be a Spaniard and dominate all courts is not easy

so many talented people from there and all they could do is win Clay and he finally was like a male version of Arantxa 

Sensation

I got the week off from work to watch the first week of the AO.  Can't wait for it to start.

Marla Singer

Andy Murray has had a brilliant career. :clap3:I'm gutted for him not being able to retire on his own terms but because of an injury.

3 GS titles, 2 of them at Wimbledon where he was always under huge pressure. He was the world #1. He's a 2x Olympic champion, still reigning. He led his country to win the Davis Cup. He's won the year-end WTF and 14 Masters 1000 titles. He's done all of that having to contend with probably the 3 greatest players ever.

He also seems like one of the most progressive men's players, so many of them seem to look down on women's tennis but he has always been a great advocate.

Fetch

They’ve confirmed cancelling WTA Sydney next year 😞 such a good tournament with a great field every year. Memories of Hingis winning, Hingis/Seles v Serena/Venus, Dementieva winning... such a shame. They’re really trying to **** the women out of any airtime or media over the summer. 

They said it will move to Brisbane, but there’s already a tournament in Brisbane? I’d imagine maybe Perth of the Hopman Cup is cancelled too, or Adelaide. Tennis Australia has never shown too much interest in the Hobart event. Reality is the week 1 event will probably go to China and Brisbane will become a Week 2 Premier. UGH. These MEN! 

Slamless
2 hours ago, Fetch said:

They’ve confirmed cancelling WTA Sydney next year 😞 such a good tournament with a great field every year. Memories of Hingis winning, Hingis/Seles v Serena/Venus, Dementieva winning... such a shame. They’re really trying to **** the women out of any airtime or media over the summer. 

They said it will move to Brisbane, but there’s already a tournament in Brisbane? I’d imagine maybe Perth of the Hopman Cup is cancelled too, or Adelaide. Tennis Australia has never shown too much interest in the Hobart event. Reality is the week 1 event will probably go to China and Brisbane will become a Week 2 Premier. UGH. These MEN! 

a ****ing MESS

Heldenzeit
14 hours ago, Fetch said:

:biblio:

HonourableVomit
16 hours ago, Fetch said:

Wait what? link? what the **** 

Fetch
14 hours ago, Slamless said:

a ****ing MESS

2 hours ago, Heldenzeit said:

:biblio:

33 minutes ago, HonourableVomit said:

Wait what? link? what the **** 

https://www.tennisforum.com/#/topics/1329719

They claim to have “over-invested” in womens tennis for the last 25 years!

I don’t think Tennis Australia has any plans for women’s tennis and will just leave it to the WTA to sort it out. Every innovation they’ve come up with for the past decade has only involved the men. FAST4, Tiebreak 10s, ATP Cup. 

Serena should speak out, but even she’s unhinged now because of her US Open antics. Maybe Wozniacki? Lindsay and the other WTA alumni need to make a FUSS during the AO broadcast.

Heldenzeit
40 minutes ago, Fetch said:

https://www.tennisforum.com/#/topics/1329719

They claim to have “over-invested” in womens tennis for the last 25 years!

I don’t think Tennis Australia has any plans for women’s tennis and will just leave it to the WTA to sort it out. Every innovation they’ve come up with for the past decade has only involved the men. FAST4, Tiebreak 10s, ATP Cup. 

Serena should speak out, but even she’s unhinged now because of her US Open antics. Maybe Wozniacki? Lindsay and the other WTA alumni need to make a FUSS during the AO broadcast.

i can‘t believe i haven‘t read about this before. this is terrible, disgusting, outrageous. i fear too that serena won‘t, sadly. she’d have the power to at least make people aware of this ****. 

TheFlyingRobot

Really upset about Andy but it was expected... It's going to be so strange over the next 2-3 years. Sharapova, Serena, Venus, Rafa and Federer will probably all retire... The tour will not be the same.

Also, the Australian Open draw is a mess. The women's side is completely unbalanced with some loaded quarters and some pathetic sections and the men's draw is boring as hell, regardless, I'm still looking forward to it.

Gui Blackout

Tennis Australia is pretty much killing the Hopman Cup, Brisbane and Sydney for this new ATP Cup, which is a stupid tournament to begin with. Players gonna have to keeps traveling through Australia for two weeks, and players from small countries essentially won't be able to participate. And the fact that they're doing all this without even giving a **** about the women is just gross. All they gonna have is Auckland and Shenzhen.

Slamless

Maria on Laver, I have to laugh.

@supaspaz sis, can you change vthe thread title? Thanks dahling

Fetch
14 hours ago, Gui Blackout said:

Tennis Australia is pretty much killing the Hopman Cup, Brisbane and Sydney for this new ATP Cup, which is a stupid tournament to begin with. Players gonna have to keeps traveling through Australia for two weeks, and players from small countries essentially won't be able to participate. And the fact that they're doing all this without even giving a **** about the women is just gross. All they gonna have is Auckland and Shenzhen.

Unless the women all know something we don’t, they need to get loud. They should be wearing something on their kit all AO in protest, or burn their sports bras on court lmao