? DIAMOND HIT ? Farewell / Next Season Announcement pg.328 ?

fountain

• Replies 7.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• fountain

• ceremonials

• Jackson

• Temporal

Top Posters In This Topic

I think I'm out this round... :(

thank you you for the reviews though! 

Edited by funnellegs

1 minute ago, ceremonials said:

:(

why so sad?

Opu83WB.gif 

• ATRL Moderator
7 hours ago, keshaspearsxo said:

I didn't realise you had submitted I was high key talking about you ??

:ahh:  

I thot it would be acclaimed. I worked SO hard on it :jonny:

O whale

Wait I just realized Hug reviewed himself

Opu83WB.gif 

JBeCJ4HgGlX00AcmkyKC4Pul_mY_1CKp4MxggrTsyqVDyCpZd33Fwc1WC3KcU2V_yOF8ACQ_UeT5XvYhMF3lJIsyBv1lHJEM5BexbWlkqMx363KvJYOxqgc-I8G-Hf16Ee8jlZLU

Round 7 Reviews

(Part 2 of 2)

@ughgabriel - Prologue/Epilogue

Hi, you sent two entries you bitch. Both of your entries are great, though. Colors/dolors is forced idc. So is gowns/frowns. Delete them, fat. I really can’t say much other than that, because as usual, I really enjoyed both parts of this. You would’ve been fine sending just the first part, really. The second part was relatively weaker, but enjoyable nonetheless.

@Jackson - Bottle

Technically sound, but besides for the second part of the first verse (scalped!), this was just...typical for you. I can’t help but feel you only wanted a secure Top 5 spot with this, and although I suppose you will get it for the technical aspect alone, this feels like such a wasted opportunity from you, seeing as you could’ve done literally anything with this round, yet you stayed in a bubble bubble so you wouldn’t get in trouble trouble. (sidenote: I liked the idea in the chorus, but it lacked a punch I would’ve liked from a chorus.)

@SaintWest - Oblivion

So, I saw your meltdown! I know you know this isn’t your best, so I’ll keep it short and sweet. Sometimes, your lines feel like fragmented thoughts that could be expanded upon, and that’d be good if this was a frantic or panicky song, but it’s not...it’s a mournful song. You had an idea that just didn’t feel fully fleshed out. I guess you should’ve went with your edited version. :michael:

@jpow - Thief

A love at first sight song with a “stealing” motif...how novel? I’m just a bit confused here, because I feel like I should’ve seen this entry back at round 3. I genuinely believe you’re capable of more than a run-of-the-mill love song with a few shoehorned metaphors that are not even vaguely interesting. You’re a creative person, I don’t know why you’re doing this.

@8thPrince - Signs

I want to say that, once again, your technical side is slaying the **** out of me. However, I want to ask you something: Do you even like what you’re sending? What I mean by that is, I think you just cracked the code for finding out what all the judges like, and you’re milking it for all it’s worth, and it starts feeling manufactured and distant. I get a calculated feeling from this, and not something you really like. I’m not saying this because I think you did bad, or even that I’m ranking you lower for it, but I just feel like a lot of the individuality I got from you is starting to go away in favor of points from judges. I think you had a perfect balance last round, though.

• ATRL Moderator

@jpow - Thief

A love at first sight song with a “stealing” motif...how novel? I’m just a bit confused here, because I feel like I should’ve seen this entry back at round 3. I genuinely believe you’re capable of more than a run-of-the-mill love song with a few shoehorned metaphors that are not even vaguely interesting. You’re a creative person, I don’t know why you’re doing this.

I will say open ended challenges are really hard on me.  Throughout the seasons, I've done all my best work on the really strict and creative challenges.  Something about "just write a song" doesn't mesh well with me and I have no inspiration which was what this and effectively last week's challenges were.  

@Hug Thanks Hug. Ugh. Yeah. I had a version of the same song I had worked on and had been polishing most of the week with a friend, and the moment I submitted the new version, I realized I made a mistake. I don't know why after submitting I realized the new version just came off super unpolished, but the deadline had already passed by a few hours and I didn't want to ask to resubmit so I'm hoping I didn't ruin my chances.

Edited by SaintWest

I can completely understand the openness of the challenge being really hard to work with, because you don't really know where to start if you didn't already have an idea in mind to begin with.

8 minutes ago, jpow said:

I will say open ended challenges are really hard on me.  Throughout the seasons, I've done all my best work on the really strict and creative challenges.  Something about "just write a song" doesn't mesh well with me and I have no inspiration which was what this and effectively last week's challenges were.  

Well the idea of leaving things open is that it challenges your depth of creativity in writing rather than simply reproducing something you were told to make. And, if you take it a little more serious and are more invested rather than somebody who writes for the purpose of competing here and lacks interest otherwise - you'd be more well versed in this type of thing, I'd imagine, so it lends into that. I suppose anybody can bake a cake by following a box with instructions but can everybody construct their own cake? It's a challenge. Because writers do have to create their own inspiration a vast amount of the time. This follows the record label challenge where you were guided in what to do. So, there's certainly a balance here. 

• ATRL Moderator
4 minutes ago, keshaspearsxo said:

Well the idea of leaving things open is that it challenges your depth of creativity in writing rather than simply reproducing something you were told to make. And, if you take it a little more serious and are more invested rather than somebody who writes for the purpose of competing here and lacks interest otherwise - you'd be more well versed in this type of thing, I'd imagine, so it lends into that. I suppose anybody can bake a cake by following a box with instructions but can everybody construct their own cake? It's a challenge. Because writers do have to create their own inspiration a vast amount of the time. This follows the record label challenge where you were guided in what to do. So, there's certainly a balance here. 

Yes but like you said I am here most for the purpose of competing in the game and I don't usually have an interest in songwriting outside of PH.  I think I've written one song total in the off season of the three games I've played.  And I don't think there is anything wrong with that either - of course I'm not going to stack up to those who take it more seriously and I'm not expecting too.  They will beat me anyway due to how much they know about songwriting and their experience.  But that doesn't mean I'm not serious about the game. 

But say, the Pokemon type challenge.  Or my favorite challenge from last season, the sequel.  These don't tell you what exactly to write, they just give you that little bit of inspiration that makes doing a challenge more interesting and fun IMO.  

I do agree that these challenges recently have been what songwriters do typically, but I don't think this game should be about what songwriters do typically.  

13 minutes ago, jpow said:

Yes but like you said I am here most for the purpose of competing in the game and I don't usually have an interest in songwriting outside of PH.  I think I've written one song total in the off season of the three games I've played.  And I don't think there is anything wrong with that either - of course I'm not going to stack up to those who take it more seriously and I'm not expecting too.  They will beat me anyway due to how much they know about songwriting and their experience.  But that doesn't mean I'm not serious about the game. 

But say, the Pokemon type challenge.  Or my favorite challenge from last season, the sequel.  These don't tell you what exactly to write, they just give you that little bit of inspiration that makes doing a challenge more interesting and fun IMO.  

I do agree that these challenges recently have been what songwriters do typically, but I don't think this game should be about what songwriters do typically.  

You can be serious about the game, but I'm saying being serious about writing. There's no reason why anybody should be better than you or know more than you if, like anything, you take the time to practice and perfect it. As much as playing in a season and getting judged helps you learn you also have to figure things out yourself because as much as you can be told how to write and what is good or bad about your writing, not until you produce things on your own without other people's involvement will I think you can do your best, because that's how you'll find your distinct style to a point where when you're told to write a song, you don't flounder around. I don't doubt that you'd struggle if you never write unless you're told how to - I mean this challenge is very simple, just write a song, and that was a struggle? 

I've done the poekmon challenge...and the hit titles challenge... and the record label challenge, which all give you a "little bit of inspiration". And I'm not making the game about what songwriter's typically do. We've just had the challenge about writing a song with no rhymes. Your point, whatever it is, is lacking. 

Edited by keshaspearsxo

• ATRL Moderator
2 minutes ago, keshaspearsxo said:

You can be serious about the game, but I'm saying being serious about writing. There's no reason why anybody should be better than you or know more than you if, like anything, you take the time to practice and perfect it. As much as playing in a season and getting judged helps you learn you also have to figure things out yourself because as much as you can be told how to write and what is good or bad about your writing, not until you produce things on your own without other people's involvement will I think you can do your best, because that's how you'll find your distinct style to a point where when you're told to write a song, you don't flounder around. I don't doubt that you'd struggle if you never write unless you're how to - I mean this challenge is very simple, just write a song, and that was a struggle? 

I've done the poekmon challenge...and the hit titles challenge... and the record label challenge, which all give you a "little bit of inspiration". And I'm not making the game about what songwriter's typically do. We've just had the challenge about writing a song with no rhymes. Your point, whatever it is, is lacking. 

But like I said, I'm serious about the game but not serious about songwriting in general.  I don't understand why there is a problem with this?  Every season during sign ups, people sign up that have never written a song or consider themselves songwriters.  That was me my first season.  I've just enjoyed the same so much that I keep playing.  So I don't think me being realistic about my knowledge of songwriting versus someone like Jackson or 8th is a bad thing. 

So I don't know why you said my point is "lacking" when I said I do better in challenges that give me a little boost of motivation and creativity.  It made perfect sense to @Hug. And yes, I know that not all of the challenges this season are open ended but Hug gave me the same critique this week as he did last week - that I seem uninspired and not creative with my songs and I'm telling him honestly why that is.  It's not a knock against you, the game, or anything else.  It's just me.  

#3 for Huga

Opu83WB.gif

Enter your username backward into google