Spain suspends album chart due to COVID-19

Hector

Chart compiler Promusicae has stopped publishing the chart due to "irrelevant" physical sales.

BARCELONA — Spain's Top Albums chart, which reflects the top-selling albums and downloads in the country, has been halted due to the coronavirus crisis.

Promusicae, the music industry association which has compiled the national charts since 1986, has taken the unprecedented decision to cease publishing the charts while the state of alarm, declared on March 13, continues in Spain, a Promusicae spokesman confirmed in an email to Billboard.

The decision to temporarily cease publication of the chart, which reflects physical sales and downloads, but not streaming numbers, comes after the country has been shut down for almost a month. While all record stores and other retail outlets are closed, physical music sales "by mail or messenger could almost serve as testimony to the fact that records are not essential items," a statement from Promusicae said, adding that physical sales are currently "almost irrelevant."

While the Top 100 Albums chart is on hiatus, Promusicae will continue to publish its Top 100 Streaming Albums chart, which will be the reference for "the behavior of the Spanish music market" in the current climate.

Promusicae is planning to reboot its Top 100 Albums chart upon its return to include physical sales, downloads and streaming. That new chart is expected to debut after the Spanish government declares an end to the confinement period, a Promusicae spokesperson tells Billboard.

https://www.billboard.com/articles/news/international/9352762/spain-top-albums-chart-paused-coronavirus-promuscae-sales-downloads

Edited by Hector

About time they just made one which includes streaming too. There was no point in making one just about streaming in the first place. Albums that were #1 on the streaming chart would be maybe #5 in the general one. Now it will be more fair 

2 minutes ago, selenachris said:

About time they just made one which includes streaming too. There was no point in making one just about streaming in the first place. Albums that were #1 on the streaming chart would be maybe #5 in the general one. Now it will be more fair 

Yes, it's definitely about time. These were the sales on the last album chart:

#1 sold 403 copies
#2 sold 142 copies
#5 sold 115 copies
Top 50 is around 20 copies
#75 sold 11 copies
#100 sold... 7 copies!

https://jenesaispop.com/2020/03/31/387747/7-copias-han-bastado-para-llegar-al-top-100-espanol-en-la-semana-de-confinamiento/?fbclid=IwAR3l9BIjmGY5GYyrcGQxDAPsXuJx9HPKh34Orl-KuDgoKWDxcOOto88MM80

Album sales are DEAD :rip: 

Not my country robbing Dua of the #1 :rip:

But yeah it's about damn time they reboot the whole thing. No one buys albums anymore

21 minutes ago, Cloudy said:

Not my country robbing Dua of the #1 :rip:

But yeah it's about damn time they reboot the whole thing. No one buys albums anymore

Well this is the physical sales one.

Dua's #3 on the streaming one behind only streaming giants Bad Bunny and Balvin

@Hector, out of curiosity, are there any other countries whose official album charts only count pure sales? I didn't know this was still a thing. :skull:

1 minute ago, Pop Art said:

@Hector, out of curiosity, are there any other countries whose official album charts only count pure sales? I didn't know this was still a thing. :skull:

I think Mexico, Argentina, Poland, Greece, Korea, South Africa, Hungary, Croatia, and Portugal's album charts are also still sales based. Other than those, every other major album chart in the world incorporates streaming. 

10 minutes ago, Hector said:

I think Mexico, Argentina, Poland, Greece, Korea, South Africa, Hungary, Croatia, and Portugal's album charts are also still sales based. Other than those, every other major album chart in the world incorporates streaming. 

Wow...that's shocking. :eek: I wonder if any of them have shutdown their album charts as well.

1 hour ago, Hector said:

nn let me release an album to chart in Spain

2 hours ago, Pop Art said:

i think Germany’s charts are based on how much albums make so the more expensive they are the higher they’ll chart theoretically which means streams probably have a much lower impact but i havent looked into how they are counted

5 hours ago, Hector said:

The decision to temporarily cease publication of the chart, which reflects physical sales and downloads, but not streaming numbers, comes after the country has been shut down for almost a month. While all record stores and other retail outlets are closed, physical music sales "by mail or messenger could almost serve as testimony to the fact that records are not essential items," a statement from Promusicae said, adding that physical sales are currently "almost irrelevant."

While the Top 100 Albums chart is on hiatus, Promusicae will continue to publish its Top 100 Streaming Albums chart, which will be the reference for "the behavior of the Spanish music market" in the current climate.

Why not just make the Top 100 Streaming chart, the actual Top 100 Albums chart... then just add physical/digital sales once the lockdown is over... :huh:

They literally said sales are dead there so why just wait til after the lockdown to make streaming reflective of the main chart? The lack of logic. These are the people who run chart companies.

5 hours ago, DUA LIPA said:

i think Germany’s charts are based on how much albums make so the more expensive they are the higher they’ll chart theoretically which means streams probably have a much lower impact but i havent looked into how they are counted

The revenue based system in Germany makes still sense for the country as it currently ranks #2 in terms of global market revenue from physical music media - behind Japan. 

Once the physical market (which still makes up about 50% of all music revenue in Germany) dies down more, maybe the BVMI will change their tabulation again. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.