Adore You reaches #1 on pop radio

bbbrndn

“Adore You” becomes the first #1 pop radio hit of Styles’ career, whether as a solo artist or in One Direction. His previous solo peak came courtesy “Sign Of The Times,” which hit #12. He went as high as #4 with One Direction, courtesy of “What Makes You Beautiful” and “Story Of My Life.”

Edited by bbbrndn

Top King :jonny2:

Pop perfection. Organic hit did that!

wait, HOW did 1D never get a #1 in Pop Radio? nnnn

-

OT: well deserved :clap3: 

Give us more songs like this. Nothing wrong with going mainstream pop if you keep your identity. 

8 minutes ago, X~MoviePoP said:

How did this song do it but not lights up or watermelon sugar...

The GP lacks taste we been knew 

8 minutes ago, X~MoviePoP said:

They weren’t sent to radio at all. They weren’t singles in America. Lights Up was a single in Europe and Australia (it did really well there), and Watermelon Sugar was a buzz single, but now it’s probably gonna be elevated to single because Harry’s team saw the potential. They recorded a music video back in January and I’m pretty sure they’re waiting for Adore You to peak to roll it out (probably closer to the summer). Harry said it’s coming in a few weeks/couple of months tops.

13 minutes ago, X~MoviePoP said:

To be a single, a song has to be sent to the radio. Adore You is actually Harry's lead single in America. 

11 minutes ago, disruptive said:

-

With WMYB they were blocked by Gotye and Carly Rae Jepsen. Not sure why Story of My Life never got there because it felt huge at the time. Same with Drag Me Down.

I’m actually looking through the radio performance of 1D and it feels like they were aiming for mining with constant radio presence rather than having one huge radio hit. Since WMYB debuted in the top 50 on pop radio in March 1st 2012, they ALWAYS had a song on the chart for an entire year, except for like two weeks in September. I’m already on February 2013. I haven’t finished yet but I know they had Best Song Ever in July of that year, then SOML in October, then Midnight Memories in March 2014, and so on. Most of these songs never reached top fifteen, so it just looks like a case of constant presence being the priority.

7 hours ago, Lindt said:

is his album projected to outstream lover on Spotify by any chance? that would be fun

On average streams per track, maybe. Overall, I doubt it. 

Edited by SignificantOther

1 minute ago, Lindt said:

is his album projected to outstream lover on Spotify by any chance? that would be fun

It’s already out steamed it in terms of average per track. Fine Line has 12 songs and 1.25 billion streams, Lover has 18 songs and 2.04 billion. If Fine Line had 18 songs it would be at 2.24B. But in TOTAL it’s possible it will outstream it as well, Lover is doing 3M~ streams a day (18 tracks) and Fine Line does 6.5M~ (12 tracks). We’ll see how Fine Line performs a few months down the line. Before the pandemic it was doing 7.5/8M a day, but now all streams are down. Harry has one, potentially two, singles coming so that could give it longevity, whereas I don’t think Loved will pick up much more. I mean, regardless, she’s doing great! Not everyone can have a 2 billion album that also sells so many copies.

20 minutes ago, Lindt said:

In total stream it will be difficult.

14 minutes ago, Em1794 said:

I mean, regardless, she’s doing great! Not everyone can have a 2 billion album that also sells so many copies.

this is true, esp considering that she debuted in 2006 and women are underrepresented among spotify streaming giants. I just think it would be fun if he out streamed bc a lot of her fans underestimated him 

Organic Hit :clap3:

i will never forgive Harry team by not sending Lights Up to radio

2 hours ago, disruptive said:

-

Radio never saw them as a musical act that that a general public would enjoy. WMYB was their first single / breakthrough so that build up over time and SOML was following the trends of the time and was “mature ballad” for a general audience.

They only ever had two more top 10s on pop radio after these two (Drag Me Down #6 & Perfect #10)

23 minutes ago, Ivan_brit said:

Organic Hit :clap3:

i will never forgive Harry team by not sending Lights Up to radio

I don't think Lights Up would have done as well on the radio. It has a pretty unconventional structure.

They should definitely send Watermelon Sugar next. 

Edited by SignificantOther

A song :clap3:

2 hours ago, Em1794 said:

It’s already out steamed it in terms of average per track. Fine Line has 12 songs and 1.25 billion streams, Lover has 18 songs and 2.04 billion. If Fine Line had 18 songs it would be at 2.24B. But in TOTAL it’s possible it will outstream it as well, Lover is doing 3M~ streams a day (18 tracks) and Fine Line does 6.5M~ (12 tracks). We’ll see how Fine Line performs a few months down the line. Before the pandemic it was doing 7.5/8M a day, but now all streams are down. Harry has one, potentially two, singles coming so that could give it longevity, whereas I don’t think Loved will pick up much more. I mean, regardless, she’s doing great! Not everyone can have a 2 billion album that also sells so many copies.

mess... well i guess it worked for them bc they really were everywhere for those 4 years 

2 hours ago, argos said:

In total stream it will be difficult.

I don’t think it’s far fetched. It’s a guessing game with the quarantine affecting streams but if it wasn’t because of that I would’ve bet on if surpassing it. Regardless, Fine Line is doing excellent in streams, especially considering it’s a pop/rock album with 12 tracks

2 hours ago, X~MoviePoP said:

They weren’t sent to radio 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.