what minho loved in 2019 (20 - 1)

minho

xmEJAAd.png

WFuzt73.png                     NJuh7ZW.png

two lists (maybe) about some of what i loved in 2019.

there's no restrictions on singles/non singles, and i did make two exceptions for songs from last year.

hopefully people are interested in some of my thoughts!  will get started soon/tomorrow.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• minho

• madonnas

• Eeveelution

• Red Light

i'll be temporarily centering(?) all my posts for #aesthetic

also this is my very first best of list on this version of the forum so there may be technical things i flop with

8JTQdlV.jpg

• ATRL Moderator

can't wait for 100 gecs to top your list!

unfortunately the way i intended on formatting didn't work out so we're going simple:

NJuh7ZW.png

50. (Sandy) Alex G - In My Arms
Styles: Indie Rock, Songwriter
Indie Rock exists in an unusual space for me where I find myself being overly critical and specific with what I like or what clicks with me.  I wanted to kick off the list with one of the few songs that stood out for a number of reasons.  The most obvious thing at the forefront is the heavy emotion, both in the instrumental and lyrics but most spectacularly - the delivery.  Repetition was used throughout this album to create specific desired effects, and I think this is one of the more subtly strong uses with this technique.  

49. Wolftyla - All Tinted 올 틴티드
Styles: Smooth laid back summer bop
This song was released in the late summer which is probably one of my favourite moods.  Everything about this screams a chill, smooth song that doesn't try too hard to be something its not.  Songs that are just un-pretentious fun and have an endless replay-ability are exactly what I'm looking for in the summer, and I still occasionally listen to this solely for the way it gives me a slight nostalgia for summers past. Also she's cute.

48. Dua Lipa - Don't Start Now
Styles: nu-disco apparently
Dua always seemed like someone who I appreciated for making consistent pop, but never struck a huge chord with me.  That was until this past fall when  she made what is probably the most natural and best progression for her artistry by venturing into this disco-fused pop style.  There's something so natural and effortless about this song which is why it comes across so well for me.

47. PRETTYMUCH x NCT Dream - Up To You
Styles: literally just teen pop boyband 
Please bear with me.  When I found out that NCT Dream would be collaborating with the American(?) boyband PRETTYMUCH I was first like "who?" and then like "why?".  In some ways I get it, both are aiming to bridge their fanbases together.  I also just think the west could learn a lot from how K-Pop groups produce stylish, exciting pop music.  So on paper this seems a bit weird, but in reality its honestly just a fun, carefree song that I recently got into. I don't think it will motivate me to get into PRETTYMUCH, but I appreciate them.  The white guy with the faux-skateboard aesthetic should probably be booted though.

46. The Weeknd - Blinding Lights
Styles: synthy stuff I guess
While I'm not the biggest fan of The Weeknd, I will admit this song feels nicely fresh and forward thinking.  I don't necessarily have much to say on this one, but um... I wish the other song he released wasn't released.  Also I hate the "aesthetic" of his promo pictures or whatever.

45. Raveena - Mama
Styles: neo-soul maybe? as you can tell idk what i'm saying at this part
Every now and then your streaming service will come through for you and randomly recommend something or someone that would otherwise fly under your radar.  And I know for me, whenever I see an Asian artist doing their own little thing in the West I get kind of excited.  Raveena has this smooth dreamy soul type thing going on throughout her catalogue.  This song stood out in particular for its gentle melancholy and its very conversational but relatable story about the power of immigrant mothers which I just... really admired honestly because its a topic that never gets enough love.

44. Summer Walker - Tonight
Styles: late night
While overall I didn't quite get into this album as much as I'd hoped for, there were a couple notable standouts.  This one struck me almost immediately thanks to the production and the way her voice works with it.  I love how this is smooth but kind of rough around the edges in the best possible way.  Idk if she's retired or what but I am eager to hear more from her because I think she could have a really interesting artistic progression.

43. Ariana Grande - Needy
Styles: dreamy pop (yuh!)
This might get some people mad but uh... this album was a huge step down after her last.  It felt very slapped together and at times almost Ariana-parody if that makes sense.  Gone were the slightly trippy elements and dripping personality from her last effort (for the most part).  There were a couple key hits that I really loved though.  Unfortunately my favourite two songs were from last year so I opted to recognize this one because I think this comes the closest to my favourite type of Ariana.  Can't wait for her next album though, she's lowkey a fave.

42. Kacey Musgraves - Oh What A World
Styles: psychedelic folk maybe?
Oh okay so I kind of made this disclaimer about a few 2018 songs sneaking in.  It's largely because I actually didn't visit this album until this year!  Also this had a music video (or... something) in 2019 so it counts.  It's actually not my ultimate favourite (maybe hint?) but I did want to recognize it because I feel like its a good representation of why this album was so good.  The psychedelic feel of this track comes across so naturally for Kacey and demonstrates a lot of unique growth.  I'm so interested in her future music because I feel like she's really trying to do some interesting stuff out here.

41. HAIM - Now I'm In It
Styles: synthpop? its kind of like HAIM in general but HAIM taking a step forward
Remember HAIM?  For the longest time I was just so unimpressed with them as a band and I don't know why.  The new direction they've been going in this year has been pretty cool though.  This was the first song of theirs from 2019 that really clicked with me though.  I like the energy throughout the song - it's a bit subdued but still very energetic... somehow.

27 minutes ago, minho said:

:rip: that was supposed to be centered and I can't edit

Right click the edit button and open in a new tab you should be able to edit it :swan:

Good start. Let me listen to some of these that I don't know. :jamming:

Oh also the K-Pop list was originally going to run at the same time but I kind of changed my mind because I thought it might be confusing and I didn't want people running in here being like "I don't know half of these!" so i'm just going to do it once I wrap up this 50.

Great write-up for Dua. I'm really going to be following her with this new album! I'm in agreement with The Weeknd too, but have to say the other song he released is suuuuuch trash. Good Alex pick too!

Yuh it was always gonna be hard for Ari-chan to top her best album, Sweetener, but tu,n is cute! And Needy is a cute pick! Oh What a World, one of the best from that album, yes yes.

Now I'm In it is great! Probably actually my least fave of the 3 singles this year.

Blinding Lights is so much better than HL :jonny: should've been #1 instead :'(

Now I'm In It :clap3: so excited about their next album 

I love your write-ups :heart2: Only have heard the Ari, Dua's and The Weekend songs out of these, lemme listen to the other ones :jamming:

I like most of the sings so far :alexz3: In My Arms is definitely my favourite though, one of the best songs on a great album.

• ATRL Moderator

Now I’m in it concerting the haters :jonny:

I like what you did with the styles instead of restricting yourself to specific genres. That's what I should have done ugh. :jonny:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.