Jump to content
The 7th annual ATRL Grammys is here! Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Why are pop girls lazy?

30 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Everyone takes years to release a damn album.

all of them just seem so lazy. Why can’t they just get their ass in studio and work very hard without doing anything else. Seems all those famous singers lost the value of hard work. 
Rihanna is now taking 4-5 years gaps between albums, because she’s too busy selling makeup and clothes. Seems to me she doesn’t care enough about music. 
Beyoncé also takes her time with releases, Adele takes 4 years gaps, Katy isn’t even releasing albums anymore(?), Gaga quit music, everytime a pop girl comes back its after years without music.

an example for a hard working pop artist is Tove Lo who’s been blessing us with 4 albums in 4 years. Rihanna used to release every year too. Now they are all just lazy and annoying. There are no real artists anymore. Smh

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Because once pop music was the dominating power in music and everyone had to cash in on that. That was a smart move because now back then, because releasing an album every year now probably would be a waist of money and resources for labels. 

 

Also I believe we had taken the hype culture on to us, and every release has to be super big and hyped up for a long time, you can’t do that if you release that often.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Gesamtkunstwerk said:

Because once pop music was the dominating power in music and everyone had to cash in on that. That was a smart move because now back then, because releasing an album every year now probably would be a waist of money and resources for labels. 

 

Also I believe we had taken the hype culture on to us, and every release has to be super big and hyped up for a long time, you can’t do that if you release that often.

I’m super hyped every year Tove releases an album .

2 years is fine, but more than that is just lazy. A real artist should enjoy going to the studio everyday and have a lot of inspiration. Those artists think they “work hard” because they wait years to release, but truth is they waste time on other things instead of realizing they have an actual job to do. If they actually dedicated time to be in studio they would have  an album ready in 6 months with the same quality of a 4-years work. It’s not “rushing art” that’s a lame excuse from them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ariana kinda does it. I love that she seems genuinely excited to put out music as often as she can regardless of whether it's her own decision or not. Lana also puts out her albums quite often and never fails to deliver quality.

As far as being lazy goes, I love that Taylor goes an extra mile to hype up her albums and make it fun for the fans with all the easter eggs and promo, you could tell she put her all into the release week and the build up to it. Reputation and Lover releases were really fun to witness and follow and the music was great too, in my opinion. It's just not as popular to invest into promoting entire eras anymore, I guess

 

It just depends on who you follow but I agree that the focus seemed to have shifted towards something else, whether it's Rihanna's fashion adventures, Gaga's make up brand or whatever that keeps Katy employed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Would you release an album yearly, tour every year, have no free time and Always have to risk to fail, or would you invest in a super successful Business where you basically have to do nothing but make more money than from making music

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's just that the market is single-oriented and labels are hesitant on putting out albums. I think it's wrong, since you'll never have a real fan base without an album.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Because it takes time to release an album. They have to plan out the era, shoot the music videos, get promo spots booked etc. Which is why I think streaming era hits aren't very memorable since these new artists are releasing a new song every month before their songs could make an impact to the GP.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are some artists that are very prolific writers - Tove Lo might be one of them. But writing a lot of songs in a short time while retaining reasonable quality isn't something anyone can do, no matter how hard they work.

 

There are others that can do it, but only with 6 other songwriters per track - when you consider the average number of songwriters per track, recording an album every 12-18 months isn't quite so impressive.

 

There are others who are perfectionists - didn't Carly Rae Jepsen write (or at least start writing) 200 songs for EMOTION before selecting the ones to put on the album? Lorde took almost 4 years for Melodrama, but in hindsight it was probably a better choice than releasing a second rate Pure Heroine part 2.

 

Then there others that might be stuck in bad contracts and aren't able to release for one reason or another. In the worst case the label spends a fortune on promo and never gets their money back and they won't approve any new project that isn't going make a profit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They're not lazy. It takes time. Do you want your fave releasing album after album non stop without a break. I wouldn't.

They need to have time to spend with their family and friends who they barely get to see cause they're always on the road.

4 hours ago, Halcyon Nights said:

Katy isn’t even releasing albums anymore(?)

She literally said she has no plans on releasing an album right now. She released Witness 2 years ago, got hate for literally no reason during that era. Why should she release an album, when she got so much hate. She's probably releasing in 2020.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ariana is the exception and we are calling her overexposed :skull: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, getinthezone said:

Would you release an album yearly, tour every year, have no free time and Always have to risk to fail, or would you invest in a super successful Business where you basically have to do nothing but make more money than from making music

if i was an actual artist, yeah. I guess some girls are only singers and not artists. :oh:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Letemtalk said:

There are some artists that are very prolific writers - Tove Lo might be one of them. But writing a lot of songs in a short time while retaining reasonable quality isn't something anyone can do, no matter how hard they work.

 

There are others that can do it, but only with 6 other songwriters per track - when you consider the average number of songwriters per track, recording an album every 12-18 months isn't quite so impressive.

 

There are others who are perfectionists - didn't Carly Rae Jepsen write (or at least start writing) 200 songs for EMOTION before selecting the ones to put on the album? Lorde took almost 4 years for Melodrama, but in hindsight it was probably a better choice than releasing a second rate Pure Heroine part 2.

 

Then there others that might stuck in bad contracts and aren't able to release for one reason or another. In the worst case the label spends a fortune on promo and never gets their money back and they won't approve any new project that isn't going make a profit.

Rihanna uses other songwriters anyway, then how comes it takes her so long? because she's wasting her time on other stuff.

Lorde waiting so long is one of the reasons she under-performed and got pretty much forgotten by the public. Melodrama is fantastic but I doubt it takes 4 years to write 11 songs. she probably didn't spend most of her time in the studio.

It takes time to perfect the album but 4 years seem too much to me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Because the girls you mentioned aren't true artists.

 

Look at Lana, gracing us with a quality album every 2 years not worrying about it smashing or not.

Or Carly, she took her time but you can tell she puts quality first and foremost.

Even Taylor regularly releases and doesn't waste her time with beauty kits or whatever because she knows she's a singer/songwriter first and foremost.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Halcyon Nights said:

Rihanna uses other songwriters anyway, then how comes it takes her so long? because she's wasting her time on other stuff.

Lorde waiting so long is one of the reasons she under-performed and got pretty much forgotten by the public. Melodrama is fantastic but I doubt it takes 4 years to write 11 songs. she probably didn't spend most of her time in the studio.

It takes time to perfect the album but 4 years seem too much to me.

I'm not defending Rihanna here who probably has spent too much time on side projects, although she took her time with ANTI and it turned out to be her best.

 

I don't think there was better option for Lorde than what she did with Melodrama. Even back in 2009 at 12/13 she told her label that she wanted to write, so there was no way she was going to have 6-8 writers on every song. Most of the songs on her albums have just 2 writers including herself. Everyone would prefer to be #1 than #101, but she already wrote her big #1 hit when she was 15 and I don't think she cares about hits as much as she cares about making her own music.

 

She didn't want to do a carbon copy of Pure Heroine and she ditched her original album concept in 2015 and didn't really start on the body of work we know as Melodrama until late 2015. From that point it was about 18 months until release with most of the writing being done in 2016.

 

There is no reason to spend all her time in the studio either - you can write songs outside of a studio. Even when she worked at Electric Ladyland she didn't work in the main studio most of the time - she used a small production room.

 

Plus they couldn't book good stages for Coachella, Lollapalooza and Glastonbury until she had new music to perform. I'm sure you know the headline and pre-headline acts are booked almost a year in advance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Taylor fanboy said:

Or maybe they're busy. :cm:

they shouldn't be busy with anything but music. their fans are the reason their career even exists. it's disrespectful to not make music for them

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It used to be the norm to release every 2 to 3 years or more. Y'all just got spoiled.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Halcyon Nights said:

Rihanna uses other songwriters anyway, then how comes it takes her so long? because she's wasting her time on other stuff.

Lorde waiting so long is one of the reasons she under-performed and got pretty much forgotten by the public. Melodrama is fantastic but I doubt it takes 4 years to write 11 songs. she probably didn't spend most of her time in the studio.

It takes time to perfect the album but 4 years seem too much to me.

Realize that they retease 10-13 songs but they write 40-50 songs you never hear or they do not release. Prince's song vault had hundreds of unreleased, unrecorded songs. Also songs are recorded and never released. They write constantly and only release "the best" songs of that group.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, frankru2010 said:

Realize that they retease 10-13 songs but they write 40-50 songs you never hear or they do not release. Prince's song vault had hundreds of unreleased, unrecorded songs. Also songs are recorded and never released. They write constantly and only release "the best" songs of that group.

Tina turner once said the recording part was easy it was deciding what song make it to the album that's hard, you want it to be commercial but also artistic and you are trying to predict the public's reactions to songs you have heard hundreds of times and now probably find boring and played out. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Because they have lives lol. Just because they don't release as frequently as you would like, doesn't mean the reason is laziness :toofunny2:

 

Especially with some of those examples that you used :ahh: Rihanna, Beyonce, and Gaga LAZY? :ahh:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Because most of them are talentless. And not actual creatives/artists therefore they don't have the passion for music like most creatives who eat sleep and breathe it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I mean, when they're not y'all call them "Overexposed" and say they need to take a break

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

yes, asian pop (mostly japanese and korean, since taiwanese and hong kong and chinese also tend to have separation time from releases) stars have no break. I dont understand it either, but its not laziness (for some cases, like Rihanna, shes always working).

I think Beyons and Adele are taking care of their babies, they are not like Ciara who has no problem leaving kids with Russel and nannies.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's just not 2010 anymore, where most girls focused on the music. the pop landscaped changed, people have shorter attention spans now. It's a SAD world. :cm:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Mezter said:

I mean, when they're not y'all call them "Overexposed" and say the need to take a break

EXACTLY :dies: The aforementioned girls brought the bells and whistles and even back then, they were accused of all gimmicks and lacking substances and now they're lazy all of a sudden. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0