Billboard: Lover 600-750K prediction

Hector

01-taylor-swift-press-photo-2019-billboard-1548.jpg

Lover’s first week will serve as a bellwether for the health of music purchases as a business model, and several label executives and retail merchants think sales could reach 600,000. 

While that total is half the 1.216 million copies that Reputation sold in its debut week, that album also had the benefit of coming out in November, during the holiday season, which always boosts sales.

In a new move for Swift, Lover is her first album to be available on streaming services the day it arrives and is expected to generate another 125,000 to 150,000 album-consumption units. That would put her total projected album consumption units around the 750,000 mark, according to industry prognosticators.

For their part, Republic Records and the Universal Music Group are playing their cards close to the vest. Republic didn’t respond to a request for comment. But if Lover turns out to be larger than expected, Republic and UMG -- where she signed last year -- have enough CDs in the marketplace to accommodate a million-selling week, with shipments exceeding 600,000 copies, according to industry sources.

“I don’t think Taylor will get to the million-unit mark in sales alone or with album-consumption units,” says an executive at another label. “But she’ll get a lot closer than many [industry] people believe.”

The majority of sales are expected to come from Target, where Swift has an exclusive packaging deal; the iTunes Store; Amazon, which for weeks has placed promos for Lover on some of its Prime shipment boxes; and Walmart. Industry executives expect her to sell at least 400,000 copies combined at Target and iTunes alone.

Billboard

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Headlock

• NMiguelCosta

• bbbrndn

• By the Water

Top Posters In This Topic

Seems more reasonable. 

50% decline :eek:

I can't wait when the UPDATE SALES again like 1989

Let the drags and meltdowns begin. :jonny: 

Good numbers despite what everyone will say.

The fact that everyone is underestimating her streaming power when she releases :rip: She's going to do at least 250k out of album consumption. I don't know how much pure sales she'll do but it will still be huge.

1 minute ago, wesleywalrus said:

Oh please :rip: This is more than any other pop girl out there, **** off

I’ll take it :clap3:

This is definitely more realistic than immediately saying she’ll reach 1M again.

1 minute ago, wesleywalrus said:

Considering the market declined 30% and reputation followed up her biggest album a 50% decline is realistic. 

FLOP! SHES OVER!

anyways, in all seriousness Billboard are known for always lowballing lol. I feel like it will do 800-900k eventually. These are still good obviously nnn

Edited by State of Grace.

im very interested to see her streaming numbers.

this is the very first roll out where we will see how the swifties streaming power is when taylor goes all-in on it.

3 minutes ago, EnoughSaid said:

This is really good. It’s 2019 and she doesn’t even have a strong hit

Exactly this, she’s basically getting these numbers off of brand loyalty alone, and that’s extremely impressive in 2019

OMG THE DECLINE

SHE'S TRULY OVER!!!

TIME TO GO BACK BEING A REPUBLICAN

:bibliahh::bibliahh: :bibliahh:

Just now, Mezter said:

This is actually very good either way so she kinda won 

Kinda? She’s going to destroy ever single female pop girl this year yet again. 

I still believe!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.