July Town Hall Thread Read more... ×

IPhone XR best selling iPhone in US, why?

51 posts in this topic

What happened?

"iPhone XR has become the dominant iPhone model," said Josh Lowitz, CIRP Partner and Co-Founder. "Its 48% share of sales in the quarter is the highest we've seen for an individual model since the iPhone 6 in 2015, which shared top billing with the 6 Plus, but only had two outdated legacy models offered as alternatives. Apple set out to create a competitive model, with current features like a large screen on a midsize handset, at a price that falls near the leading Android phones. It is an easy to choose the mid-point between the expensive XS and XS Max models, and the older 7 and 8 models."

XR has the better battery life AND has essentially all the same functionality. XS & XS Max just offer some specifications the average phone user doesn't notice.

The latter two are just for people who want to say they own the 'top' model of whatever Apple product is currently out. Serving the people who paid like $500 more just for their MacBook Pro 2016 to have a useless touch pad.

at a price that falls near the leading Android phones

easy to choose between the expensive XS and XS Max models

The article answers it for you :psyduck:

Because they GP doesn't care about OLED, minimal camera upgrades, specs that gives diminishing returns, etc.

They care about speed, battery life, Facetime, iMessage, and whatever iOS has to offer.

Because we're heading towards a recession and people are saving their money

All the top phone carriers have been using that phone as a new line or “switch carriers” incentive. 

Also, every time I go into a phone store, it feels like they’ve been trained to push the XR on you—even over the XS. 

1 minute ago, Lemonaade said:

Why not

take a crazy chance 

I have the XS but only bc I needed 512 GBs of storage. Had the XR had that I would have purchased it.

I have the Xr and can confirm this is the best IPhone apple has ever put out :clap3::clap3:

Literally charge in the morning and I’m good all day till night, screen is amazing, camera is amazing, it’s gorgeous (I have it in white) and the list goes on and on. And this is someone that had a 6s for 4 years and upgraded about 3 months ago. 

I love my XR the only thing i dislike is how awful snapchat looks on it. especially the front facing camera 

i don't know, they're ugly imo, love my silver xs max so much :gaycat4:

I literally just got a XR a few days ago and I love it. I've had the 8 plus for 2 years and didn't think I'd love having a X that badly but it's really nice! (I have the blue option and it's really cute :gaycat4:)

It's by far the best value :cm:

The XS is not worth its higher cost for most people.  For the vast majority of people, the difference between OLED and LCD is negligible and not worth an extra $300+.  Same with the extra camera lens, since software upgrades have made portrait mode possible with one lens. The XR has the best features most people will enjoy at a lower cost.  I view the XS/XSMax as more of a "luxury line" than "flagship", imo.  

I have the XR and love it, it's a really fantastic phone.  The battery life is amazing, the camera is significantly better than any phone I've had in the past, the design is great, and the performance is great.

I don't know why :doc: it's so ugly which is why I bought an 8 last month instead. Ideally I would like the XS but too poor lol

It was destined to be the more popular model thanks to the price. Also, as other people have pointed out, it's the phone that carriers have been shoving down people's throats (at least in the U.S.). For me, the XR's biggest shortcoming is the screen. LCD is fine, but the lack of a 1080p screen in 2019 is unjustifiable to me. I've heard consistently great things about the battery, but I have no problem getting through the day with my XS Max. Ultimately, I don't think any of the XS/XS Max features are "MUST HAVES" and the XR is probably fine for most people, but I do think the XS/XS Max is worth the splurge, especially because your phone is something you use everyday.

Posted (edited)

XS is not worth the cost, especially the Max. No one wants to pay over $1,000 for a CELL PHONE! It’s not like it’s a computer or something. No need to charge so much. XR is cheaper and comes in cute colors.

asthatic 

I really hope the dual lens feature comes to the mid-tier/cheaper model for the next iPhone upgrade cycle. I have an 8 plus right now and LOVE the dual lenses. That's the only thing that would make me buy an XS over an XR. 

17 minutes ago, americanlife said:

XS is not worth the cost, especially the Max. No one wants to pay over $1,000 for a CELL PHONE! It’s not like it’s a computer or something. No need to charge so much. XR is cheaper and comes in cute colors.

Well tbh the iPad Pro is a computer and it has the same chipset as the XS :oh:

@OP People only care about price now considering all new iPhones are super fast, reliable, have good battery life, great cameras, and excellent customer service.  Although OLED, a second telephoto camera (I use it just as much as the standard zoom lens), more RAM, and the nicer design are worth the premium to me, most people won’t notice a difference.

21 minutes ago, Archetype said:

It’s not the same tbh. Computers are capable of much more and certain tasks are easier and more reliable on a computer. Cell phones and tablets will never fully replace the traditional computer.

1 hour ago, Archetype said:

tenor.gif

OT: Price and the battery life.

It’s cheaper

3 hours ago, Grumpy Gills said:

take a crazy chance 

do a crazy dance :eli:

Imagine buying a phone with 720p display for 750$ in 2019.