July Town Hall Thread Read more... ×

When did you become an atheist?

25 posts in this topic

At around 15 I believe, thanks to god.

When I was a teenager like 15 also up until about 24. I believe there is something labeled as “God” now ,and although it’s really hard to understand, I just feel it.

I´ve never been religious so I can´t tell.I´m not even sure rn because I think I am an atheist but I´m scared to be wrong :rip:

13? 

My dad was a reverend so then dragging me to church each Sunday was...fun...

probably middle school.

My parents weren't religious either so I didn't grow up that way. I can't remember ever believing in God. I've never even seen a bible in person :dies:

I wouldn't say I am. I do believe there is more to this world than what we can see and am open to the possibility of a god. I wouldn't exactly call myself a Bible thumper, though.

I was always skeptical of my religion, but officially accepted and started to label myself as atheist when I was 15

Kinda late, 17 yo I think, my philosophy teacher impact:alexz:Too bas our saint conservative class trashed her all the time. She also talked alot about LGBT acceptance. Aah they fumed so much :bibliahh:Suspition started a lot earlier tho, when I was 8 I asked my dad: which religion is the true one? Ours of course, he replied :toofunny3:

My family isn't religious so I wasn't raised in any religion so I've never been a believer I think.

11 or 12

When I was conceived, just like everyone else. No one is born religious. It is indoctrinated taught.

Was never religious or spiritual, probably decided I was never going to be before I was 10. 

At 20 or 21 while studying philosophy at university. I remember fighting it for a while, as I was deeply religious in my teenage years.

i was raised atheist

I've never believed, I became convincedly atheist when I was 17 :michael:

It's liberating to feel that I know longer need to conform my country's most stanned religion. I won't say I've completely abandoned the idea of god, I still think there's a higher being than me for the sake of having one, but for the most part that's anything religious, nothing. 

I never really liked Church or particularly believed in anything, but I’d say that going through the confirmation process around 16-17 really drove me over the edge. The way I had to sit there, privately in denial about being gay, forcing myself to write an essay about how I wanted to be confirmed so that I could marry in the church and raise my children in the church... My faith and belief in anything died then.

They’re so sneaky, normalizing that first communion and confirmation are done when we’re underage so that our parents can force us to do it. It ****ing disgusts me. 

5th or 6th grade

5 minutes ago, Achilles. said:

I never really liked Church or particularly believed in anything, but I’d say that going through the confirmation process around 16-17 really drove me over the edge. The way I had to sit there, privately in denial about being gay, forcing myself to write an essay about how I wanted to be confirmed so that I could marry in the church and raise my children in the church... My faith and belief in anything died then.

They’re so sneaky, normalizing that first communion and confirmation are done when we’re underage so that our parents can force us to do it. It ****ing disgusts me. 

my mom always said that she swore to raise me in christian faith when she baptised me and forced me to go to church every sunday until conformation :rip: like i asked for it :mazen:

When I was 20 years old.

Posted (edited)

11. I went to catholic school and I just remember sitting thinking this was all bull**** :rip: 

Like 9-10, I was always strongwilled, I could not tolerate people telling me what to think without any reasonings :skull:

I mean I never really thought about it critically but thought of myself as agnostic or Christian depending on my mood until 18 and I took an ethics class and we talked about theories of the afterlife.  Then everything clicked to me.