July Town Hall Thread Read more... ×

RS tries to discredit Mariah.

64 posts in this topic

When Nas proposed a Mariah Carey remix, she gave it a thumbs-up by posting her Rolling Stone cover photo in a cowgirl hat and the caption “One Sweet Town Road.” Mariah posed for this RScover a year before Nas was born. (In truth, “One Sweet Day” was nowhere near as big as “Despacito” or “Old Town Road” — its long run was a fluke of the Nineties’ chart stagnation, a time when Number One hits routinely parked there for months.) Mason Ramsey, still a lad of 12 years old, gave his prophetic vision of the future: “The year is 2043. I’m fully grown up with my own ranch and kids, and Lil Nas X is still releasing old-town remixes.”

Are you surprised by Rolling Stone comments?

90s were stagnant but the 10s not? 

Lmao wtf

It's not a fluke when it sold millions of physical copies and is a staple in black families to this day. Rob Sheffield can stay pressed.

28 minutes ago, DemDam92 said:

90s were stagnant but the 10s not? 

Lmao wtf

Number one hits and top 10 hits used to spend less time on the charts. After 2015 a lot of songs are staying 26 weeks in the top 10.

Rolling Stone has always disliked Mariah but if they're gonna throw shade at her, atleast do your research. The charts are staganant as hell nowadays, compared to back in the 90s, when songs could barely last for 30 weeks in the charts. People were actually buying stuff then and the charts were more dynamic comapred to now. 

Why do I feel like journalists are getting less smart nowadays?

a multi-week #1 in the 90s is stagnant? a time period where people actually bought music? we have to laugh. 

what an idiot

lmao they tried iT

Did they lie? No one remembers One Sweet Day. The only time anyone ever speaks about it is in regards to that record.

They lied.

1 hour ago, Shinning said:

Did they lie? No one remembers One Sweet Day. The only time anyone ever speaks about it is in regards to that record.

Vevo / Youtube (on her official channel only)

171,471,220 - One Sweet Day - Music Video - 2009-2019

5,183,511 - One Sweet Day - Live from Madison Square Garden - 2013-2019

Spotify:

60,848,395 - One Sweet Day

2 hours ago, Shinning said:

Lemme guess. Youre white? There are more target groups than just your local white people mass.

If controversy is what they need to get those clicks Marian's glad she could help

3 hours ago, Shinning said:

+1

30 minutes ago, Ramooon said:

+1

Vevo / Youtube (on her official channel only)

171,471,220 - One Sweet Day - Music Video - 2009-2019

5,183,511 - One Sweet Day - Live from Madison Square Garden - 2013-2019

Spotify:

60,848,395 - One Sweet Day

They completely made up that mess about 90s ChArT sTaGnAtIoN :isudumblmao: but it is true that the OSD chart run was fraudulent. Like many Sony stats from the Tommy Mottola era, the OSD numbers were inflated, manipulated, and payola-fueled.

Charlie Davin, the singles buyer at Tower Records in Greenwich Village, said: "I've heard stories of bar codes being switched around, but when I've priced my product and that happens we send it back to the record label. I wouldn't put a Fugees single on the racks when it was coming up as a Mariah Carey single."

This is delusional. I can't at RS :deadbanana2:

Well yeah it wasn't as big but imagine lying like that :rip:

4 hours ago, Shinning said:

Agree! 

The GP remembers the Macarena more than OSD.

10 minutes ago, KimmyBella said:

Agree! 

The GP remembers the Macarena more than OSD.

No one remembers Candle of the Wind but I'm not going to discredit it from being a fluke. 

Not a Mariah hater by any means, but I agree with some of the comments. I know the title OSD because of the record, but I couldn't sing it right now if I had a gun put to my head. Some of her other lesser hits were more memorable songs for me and my childhood. 

9 minutes ago, EarStyle said:

Not a Mariah hater by any means, but I agree with some of the comments. I know the title OSD because of the record, but I couldn't sing it right now if I had a gun put to my head. Some of her other lesser hits were more memorable songs for me and my childhood. 

Hero, Vision of Love, We Belong Together, Always Be My Baby, Emotions, Dreamlover, AIWFCIY, Fantasy and Honey are all more impactful and known to most people over OSD honestly. But this article discrediting how it stayed on top for so long is not accurate

RS has always had a thing against Mariah, so this is not surprising.