July Town Hall Thread Read more... ×

Bey parts ways with A&R of 28 years

84 posts in this topic

Exclusive: Beyonce Shocker as Singer Parts Ways with Music Advisor of 28 Years, Teresa LaBarbera Whites One of Most Admired in Business

Well, this is a shock.

Beyonce — on the eve of her new album, “The Lion King: The Gift,” has parted ways with her music advisor of 28 years, the legendary Teresa Labarbera Whites. Sources tell me the split was amicable, since Whites is maybe the Most Wanted music advisor in pop music today. Everyone from Katy Perry to Taylor Swift, Alessia Cara, Selena Gomez, etc will be knocking down her door when they hear this news. Adele would do well to call her.

TLW met Beyonce when she was nine years old, signed her when she was 11, and launched Destiny’s Child. She has overseen almost all of Beyonce’s music, with a brief time out years ago when she was lured to Jive Records to resuscitate Britney Spears. She did, too, and then returned to be on staff with Beyonce as her in house A&R person. (She also discovered Jessica Simpson, and has consulted on albums by Pink and the Backstreet Boys, among others.)

But as “The Gift” — which TLW oversaw — releases tomorrow, Whites is said to be down in her home of Texas getting some rest before advancing on the charts again.

So what happened? I’m told that as Beyonce’s business grew, there was tension at the top of Parkwood Entertainment. A new co-COO, Steve Pamon, from JP Morgan Chase, was brought in. Art and commerce clashed. Pamon’s background is in running a company, not picking music or developing musical ideas. TLW has long been known in the industry as Beyonce’s secret weapon. How the internationally beloved singer will function without her is now a big question.

https://www.showbiz411.com/2019/07/18/exclusive-beyonce-shocker-as-singer-parts-ways-with-music-advisor-of-28-years-teresa-labarbera-whites-one-of-most-admired-in-business

no white, yes flop.

Omg her ARTPOP era is coming 

Posted (edited)

.... I'm not so sure.

Teresa left for B'Day and I Am...Sasha Fierce as she was head-hunted to become an A&R for Jive Records (specifically The Backstreet Boys, Britney, and Nick Lachey).

She'll be back, especially because I can't think of any modern A&R that can keep their mouth shut when they've found a hit record. :dancehall: "You'll always find your way back home."

Beyonce will be fine. Her career won't just stumble down because her A&R left. 

Oh my god :rip: She's gonna go into retirement

Honestly? It was decisions like this from my fave (following corporations and money) that made this the worst decade of her career.

Let's hope everything turns out to be ok for Bey.

2 minutes ago, FloridaKilos said:

Omg her ARTPOP era is coming 

Now If she gets rid of Parkwood Entertainment altogether, her head of security Julius, her publicist Yvette, AND her choreography team Frank Gatson/Jaquel/Chris Grant....... then we'd be on the same level. :sleep: 

Posted (edited)

Art and commerce clashed.

2 minutes ago, Kool_Aid_King said:

Oh my god :rip: She's gonna go into retirement

"Art and commerce clashed."

Commerce won. Pop/Promotion Beyoncé is making a return. :cm:

So what happened? I’m told that as Beyonce’s business grew, there was tension at the top of Parkwood Entertainment. A new co-COO, Steve Pamon, from JP Morgan Chase, was brought in. Art and commerce clashed. Pamon’s background is in running a company, not picking music or developing musical ideas.

If this is true, it really bothers me :doc: 

OMG

The Lion King: The Gift is their last project together, end of an era.

I never thought this would happen, Bey really wants run everything all at once I...

This will effect less than nothing obviously as Beyoncé doesn’t need an A&R but I love Teresa :weeps: Working with someone for 28 years is insane especially if you’re only 37 

1 minute ago, trainsskyscrapers said:

Now If she gets rid of Parkwood Entertainment altogether, her head of security Julius, her publicist Yvette, AND her choreography team Frank Gatson/Jaquel/Chris Grant....... then we'd be on the same level. :sleep: 

Frank been fired for about 6 years now 

2 minutes ago, tiagol88 said:

Honestly? It was decisions like this from my fave (following corporations and money) that made this the worst decade of her career.

Let's hope everything turns out to be ok for Bey.

Let's not act like Bey can't survive without TLW. She left Bey to resuscitate Britney's career (Blackout) and Bey was fine. She returned later.  

2 minutes ago, trainsskyscrapers said:

Sweetie it was a joke calm down 

1 minute ago, DG1 said:

Art and commerce clashed.

"Art and commerce clashed."

Commerce won. Pop/Promotion Beyoncé is making a return. :cm:

You know damn well we will never see Pop/Promo Beyoncé again :rip: 

Just now, DG1 said:

Let's not act like Bey can't survive without TLW. She left Bey to resuscitate Britney's career (Blackout) and Bey was fine. She returned later.  

so she wasn't there for the BDay era right? Something like that. 

Just now, Kool_Aid_King said:

You know damn well we will never see Pop/Promo Beyoncé again :rip: 

WYM? It already started. Keep up, sweetie. 

Spirit is flopping, the soundtrack is a try-hard Black Panther attempt and her voice acting is getting dragged. I’m sure she thought this would get her Grammies and Oscars too and it’s clearly won’t.

I would genuinely kill for TLW to come back and be with Britney. She helped with both Blackout and Circus and is one of my favorite behind-the-scenes artists of all-time :jonny5: 

1 minute ago, ShouldersSideways said:

If this is true, it really bothers me :doc: 

Why? Beyoncé is always evolving. Parkwood has changed hands already. She keeps a lot of people for a very long time but she also knows when to let go 

5 minutes ago, PrettyHurts said:

Why? Beyoncé is always evolving. Parkwood has changed hands already. She keeps a lot of people for a very long time but she also knows when to let go 

True. We also don't know if TLW has been offered some massive label/Apple Music/ASCAP position and will still advise Beyonce on the side. 

She owns a B&B and always holds songwriter retreats there.... perhaps that undertaking is getting bigger. We don't have all of the facts yet. 

4 minutes ago, Delicious said:

Spirit is flopping, the soundtrack is a try-hard Black Panther attempt and her voice acting is getting dragged. I’m sure she thought this would get her Grammies and Oscars too and it’s clearly won’t.

The gift is what black panther should have tried to be sis...AFRICAN MUSIC. Spirit will not flop, just watch and see..And yes she will at least get grammies and oscar noms. Meanwhile janet is ROTTING in vegas..shut up

Posted (edited)

It’s for the better