Frequently asked questions... Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Blair Witch Project 20 years on

7 posts in this topic

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.gamespot.com/amp-articles/the-blair-witch-project-20-years-later-why-this-ho/1100-6468312/

I vividly remember watching The Blair Witch Project for the first time on its opening weekend in central London. While today the vast majority of movies open simultaneously in the US and UK, this wasn't the case 20 years ago, and British film fans like myself had to wait a long three months for it to finally hit UK theaters. In a way, an October release made more sense--it is the month of horror after all. But it meant by this point, absolutely no one thought the film was anything but a work of fiction. But it didn't matter. The immediacy of the film, the uncomfortable realism, and the naturalistic performances quickly removed the barrier that often lies between the viewer and the screen, and had me utterly gripped, fully immersed in Heather, Mike, and Josh's nightmarish situation. I've seen hundreds of horror movies since, but the visceral effect that those final ten minutes had on me that first weekend remains a powerful memory to this day.

But while no horror movie is as effective the second time round when it comes to scares, this was especially true of Blair Witch. Despite the rave reviews, huge box office, and reports of absolutely terrified audiences, this is a film that is now remembered more for its influence on the genre than its ability to scare. I rewatched the movie at home several months after my first viewing and it contained only a fraction of its power. It quickly became clear that not much really happens, and viewed on the small screen without a terrified audience around me, it was impossible to recapture that first experience. Even the movie's ending, so utterly petrifying only a few months earlier, seemed a bit silly. So wait, he's just standing in the corner?

Nevertheless, even if the film does not hold up to repeat viewings, the filmmakers did something remarkable with The Blair Witch Project. It was the perfect film for the era, one that simply couldn't have built its reputation in the same way either five years earlier or five years later. Like many of the genre's most influential classics, it was an independent film made far outside the Hollywood system, and for a brief moment, it truly reminded audiences how scary a horror movie can be. Happy birthday Blair Witch.

This movie ruined forests for me for like 2 years

I remember being  terrified seeing this movie because I thought it was real :dies:

I watched this in the first half of the 2010s and I was genuinely spooked out by it. (I don't normally watch horror movies and this was my first "found footage" movie that I watched.)

Thinking back, it really wasn't that scary (but mostly because I believe it is really a murder ploy)

Watched it recently and it was pretty trash, the amount of screaming... I guess it was good when it was first released tho 

It sucked then, and it still sucks 20 years later.

Still one of the scariest movies I’ve ever seen and I have seen a lot. It still can scare the **** out of children or anyone with an imagination. Very spooky and breath taking in some parts  tbh. 

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0