Does Camila make a gimmick of her latina ethnicity?

110 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Camila's first hit was Havana which to be honest was the most genuine out of all these songs but played up her Cuban heritage. Her other songs subsequently flopped or underperformed and she rode that Havana wave for 2 years.  She then collaborated with Shawn Mendes, a non latinx artist with a song called Senorita, a song of course takes advantage of the fact that she's latina and plays up the sexy latino stereotype. The song becomes a hit. She then collaborates with Ed Sheeran, a British artist, with a song called "South of the Border" a song about how exotic and sexy latina women are, about moving South of the (United States) border and even references "Jungle Fever" Ed Sheeran of course made sure to put 2 American latina artists on this cringy song that the GA will probably eat up. 

Does Camila make a gimmick of her latina ethnicity? Is there any other way for her to get a hit? 

No, I think it's just her style

It’s the only way she’ll get a hit because Latin music is trendy

This thread is ignorant. 

this thread is so ignorant. She is latina and she can make whatever music she likes. How has her non-latin infused music not done well when NBTS is a multiplatinum Top 10 hit and Bad Things is a multiplatinum top 5 hit. She’s doing the damn thing and y’all are mad about it

This thread is so ignorant.

SUFFER!

considering she's latina, she completely in her right to use that sound. it's not her fault that music style is in right now 

How can someone make a gimmick of their own ethnicity though!? Like what kind of twisted logic :isudumblmao:

First, Never Be The Same didn’t underperform.

Second, she’s latina so there’s nothing wrong with her releasing latin-influenced music. It’s not like she’s an american white girl pretending to be black and actually making a gimmick out of that like certain other popgirls.

her true sound is the pop/acoustic one. that's what she loves the most, she literally grew up listening to Taylor Swift, One Direction and Ed Sheeran. 

2 minutes ago, Rei said:

First, Never Be The Same didn’t underperform.

Second, she’s latina so there’s nothing wrong with her releasing latin-influenced music. It’s not like she’s an american white girl pretending to be black and actually making a gimmick out of that like certain other popgirls.

And that’s that on THAT.

You're so dumb. Camila is Latina and proud of it and of course wants to include her heritage in her music which is her form of self expression. If you don't like it don't listen.

3 minutes ago, Starkboy said:

her true sound is the pop/acoustic one. that's what she loves the most, she literally grew up listening to Taylor Swift, One Direction and Ed Sheeran. 

so because she likes pop, she can't like latin music even though that is her actual heritage? :rip:

make it make sense.

You don't know her, growing up in Miami is like you're in the US but not really. You are surrounded by a very diverse culture (the most diverse in the US) with different types of music, food, entertainment etc. So even if Taylor, 1D, and Ed were her "favorite" artists growing up, it does NOT mean that she wasn't influenced by her roots, especially with her parents being straight up Cuban and Mexican.

No, she's actually latina, born in cuba to a latino father, speaks spanish fluently, doesn't remember her heritage only when it's convenient.

1 minute ago, 305 said:

so because she likes pop, she can't like latin music even though that is her actual heritage? :rip:

make it make sense.

You don't know her, growing up in Miami is like you're in the US but not really. You are surrounded by a very diverse culture (the most diverse in the US) with different types of music, food, entertainment etc. So even if Taylor, 1D, and Ed were her "favorite" artists growing up, it does NOT mean that she wasn't influenced by her roots, especially with her parents being straight up Cuban and Mexican.

where I said that? :rip: like I would care. this meltdown. :toofunny3:

I literally said pure pop music is her thing. I mean her debut single was Crying in the Club, not some latin influenced track.

2 minutes ago, Starkboy said:

where I said that? :rip: like I would care. this meltdown. :toofunny3:

I literally said pure pop music is her thing. I mean her debut single was Crying in the Club, not some latin influenced track.

where's the meltdown? Don't be dramatic.

No, you said "her true sound" as if she can't include her latin influence don't try to back track now. She had CITC for the GP and it didn't work out, and she decided herself to put out Havana to showcase that side of her and guess what? IT WORKED. Her "true sound" is whatever she wants it to be, which in this case is her latin heritage. 

36 minutes ago, ChrisTheLoner said:

How can someone make a gimmick of their own ethnicity though!? Like what kind of twisted logic :isudumblmao:

I disagree with this thread but it's easy to make a gimmick of your ethnicity. Same as people make a gimmick of their sexuality.

5 minutes ago, 305 said:

where's the meltdown? Don't be dramatic.

No, you said "her true sound" as if she can't include her latin influence don't try to back track now. She had CITC for the GP and it didn't work out, and she decided herself to put out Havana to showcase that side of her and guess what? IT WORKED. Her "true sound" is whatever she wants it to be, which in this case is her latin heritage. 

You’re the one being dramatic though :rip:

pure pop music is her thing, and she can release Latin music or any type of music if she wants to :rip: just because something is her type of music, doesn’t mean she can’t do other stuff

3 minutes ago, Navyofbadgals said:

You’re the one being dramatic though :rip:

pure pop music is her thing, and she can release Latin music or any type of music if she wants to :rip: just because something is her type of music, doesn’t mean she can’t do other stuff

Not at all, simply stating facts. Guess that's dramatic?

Your second sentence is literally what I've been saying. Thanks?

Uh no...WTF.

She is latina, she loves her culture, why is that so wrong? 

Yes.

Thalia didn't open the gates for girls like her to do this type of tom foolery.

Resultado de imagen para Thalia arrasando gif

yeah :rip: thought she said that she wants to distance herself from the trendy and predictable latin sound of havana because she wants to be "risky"? yet she goes back to latin sound to get another hit. 

but still, it's her own heritage. she's latina and she can be proud of it. but not after what she said :rip:

She was born in Cuba, lived there + Mexico for 6 years and spoke Spanish all her life, she can make Latin music whenever tf she wants, it’s not her fault everybody wants to listen to our music rn :fan::cm: