Frequently asked questions... Read more... ×

FIrst humans had light skin

46 posts in this topic

Researchers agree that our early australopithecine ancestors in Africa probably had light skin beneath hairy pelts. “If you shave a chimpanzee, its skin is light,” says evolutionary geneticist Sarah Tishkoff. “If you have body hair, you don’t need dark skin to protect you from ultraviolet UV radiation.”

After human ancestors shed most body hair, sometime before 2 million years ago, they quickly evolved dark skin for protection from skin cancer and other harmful effects of UV radiation. Then, when humans migrated out of Africa and headed to the far north, they evolved lighter skin as an adaptation to limited sunlight. (Pale skin synthesizes more vitamin D when light is scarce.)

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2017/10/new-gene-variants-reveal-evolution-human-skin-color

Are you surprised?

This isn't shocking. That's why I never understood why white people called black people monkeys when their thin lips and light skin are more similar to them.

4 minutes ago, maat said:

Researchers agree that our early australopithecine ancestors in Africa probably had light skin beneath hairy pelts. “

Bye. :zzz:

Then, when humans migrated out of Africa and headed to the far north, they evolved lighter skin as an adaptation to limited sunlight.

Ok.. So humans went from light to dark to light again..

2 minutes ago, KasioKas said:

A Prism -> Witness -> Never Really Over tea.

5 minutes ago, KasioKas said:

Light skin as in brown. Not white / pale like the group that moved into Europe. And of course, other humans evolved darker skin.

Skin_Pigmentation_online.jpg?itok=OGmx8JWf

2 minutes ago, Roxas said:

I like the theory that early humans were cross-bred with Grey aliens. Not saying I believe it, I just like it.

You mean like this scene from Prometheus, where alien breaks apart his DNA to create life.

tumblr_oh0g9eMRfg1swsjlqo1_500.gif

8 minutes ago, KasioKas said:

will Ariana go light too next?

Question is when will humans stop obsessing over the amount of melanin in their skin. There is literally no such thing as race. 

30 minutes ago, Gorgeous said:

Hairy and light, just how i like em. 

Resultado de imagen para bitch me too the fuck gif

22 minutes ago, maat said:

You mean like this scene from Prometheus, where alien breaks apart his DNA to create life.

tumblr_oh0g9eMRfg1swsjlqo1_500.gif

I-

Imagen relacionada

1 minute ago, Brando said:

Question is when will humans stop obsessing over the amount of melanin in their skin. There is literally no such thing is race. 

"You can’t use skin color to classify humans, any more than you can use other complex traits like height, Tishkoff says. “There is so much diversity in Africans that there is no such thing as an African race."

From the same article. I wanted to show how these notions are meaningless from biological perspective.

5 minutes ago, maat said:

"You can’t use skin color to classify humans, any more than you can use other complex traits like height, Tishkoff says. “There is so much diversity in Africans that there is no such thing as an African race."

From the same article. I wanted to show how these notions are meaningless from biological perspective.

Absolutely meaningless. From genetical, biological or any other type of perspective. 

38 minutes ago, KasioKas said:

no. isolated groups of humans (homo sapiens) migrated to different parts of the world and evolved differently based on their environment, etc. still same species, just evolved different traits cause of their location - all co existed and still do

55 minutes ago, KasioKas said:

Why are you grouping white people (when they are a shrinking world minority) as all humans? :grump: the majority of the planet has dark to light brown skin tone.

22 minutes ago, Judas Bertha said:

no. isolated groups of humans (homo sapiens) migrated to different parts of the world and evolved differently based on their environment, etc. still same species, just evolved different traits cause of their location - all co existed and still do

Sis we're talking what was going on before Homo sapiens, but still common ancestor.

7 minutes ago, maat said:

Sis we're talking what was going on before Homo sapiens, but still common ancestor.

It’s important to include both genetic pools when dealing with evolution you know. How can you call them humans when they are barely half of what we are today.