Frequently asked questions... Read more... ×

Artists Leeching Off Others’ Success

45 posts in this topic

I’ve noticed this a few times, sometimes when a song smashes, another artist will take advantage of its success by releasing a song with SIMILAR title :rip: examples:

When Demi’s ‘Neon Lights’ became a hit in early 2014,  Blake Shelton released ‘Neon Light’ in August :rip:

A more recent example, when Panic! At The Disco scored another hit this year with ‘Hey Look Ma, I Made It’, Bon Iver released a song called ‘Hey, Ma’ and added it to Spotify’s TTH :rip: 

Another VERY recent example, Lil Nas’ new hit ‘Rodeo’, just this this week the country singer Kane Brown released a single called ‘Like a Rodeo’ :rip:

It’s a trick where, people who have no idea who the singer of a particular hit song will simply click on the the copycat’s song and they will get free streams just like that :rip: sure if the listener instantly realises it’s not the song they’re looking for they can just stop listening but if the song is actually cute, people will give it a chance :rip:

It’s such a shameless act of leeching other songs’ success to get free exposure :biblio:

Normani Kordei

EDIT: what the OP means makes no sense to me, I don't think it's planned :skull:

Did you mean: Ed Sheeran?

EDIT: wait, is this literally a thread about songs having similar titles :skull:

2 minutes ago, Tsareena said:

:rip:  Bon Iver is not some random artist 

Still doesn’t change the fact what he did :rip:

3 minutes ago, Revolution said:

Neon Lights never became a hit. Why would Blake care about a song that couldn't even crack Top 25.

3 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

"When Demi’s ‘Neon Lights’ became a hit in early 2014"

kxUwvoV.gif

It was a radio hit. Peaked at #7 on pop radio. 

Anyway dont change the subject 

kxUwvoV.gif

4 minutes ago, KillingYourCareer said:

Normani Kordei

EDIT: what the OP means makes no sense to me, I don't think it's planned :skull:

It’s actually true :rip: there are tons of other examples but i cant remember all 

not you calling a Grammy winner a random artist jfdjdfndf :skull: he's been performing Hey Ma under this title for longer than PFTW has been out so :michael:

1 minute ago, World Eater said:

not you calling a Grammy winner a random artist jfdjdfndf :skull: he's been performing Hey Ma under this title for longer than PFTW has been out so :michael:

...and it's not like Panic! at the Disco's radio payola song was a big hit for him to rip off its title :rip:

5 minutes ago, KillingYourCareer said:

...and it's not like Panic! at the Disco's radio payola song was a big hit for him to rip off its title :rip:

Yall are insufferable :rip: then what about this? 

18 minutes ago, Fetish for MiMi said:

More examples:

Marshmello did it twice, are u still going to say it’s not planned? 

3 minutes ago, tellem said:

? Do these count-

Accurate examples :ahh: not her name being Ariana too :rip:

1 minute ago, Fetish for MiMi said:

Yall are insufferable :rip: then what about this? 

Marshmello did it twice, are u still going to say it’s not planned? 

The thing is, your theory sounds more like a fortuity to me. Those are all very generic titles, imo it's not a planned thing.

Calling Bon Iver "some random artist" ? Well, I am not surprised, looking at your sig is enough to know that you're lacking TASTE. 

1 minute ago, KillingYourCareer said:

The thing is, your theory sounds more like a fortuity to me. Those are all very generic titles, imo it's not a planned thing.

Fortuity? Maybe... if 1-2 songs, but it happens more than 10 times :ahh:

These are just similarly titled songs. I don't think anyone hears Neon Lights on the radio and goes and streams a Blake Shelton song.

I don't think that's planned, but I also wouldn't be surprised if it was. Marketing is marketing. Get money, bitch! 

23 minutes ago, ONOPKA said:

Alexandra burke duet on X Factor UK

:rip: Very funny, Bey was there to promote and if anything she helped Alexandra