Frequently asked questions... Read more... ×

This is how Wikipedia defines the 2010s in music. Agree?

49 posts in this topic

24 minutes ago, GreatestLoveofAll said:

You thought you were doing something with this didnt you

Well, he actually did.

7 hours ago, bestfiction said:

I've got some news for you :rip:

OT: maybe so.

Wait a damn minute :hoetenks:

6 hours ago, Young In Love said:

Lorde is mentioned and Lana not? i- 

lana isnt as known to the gp:michael: royals, team, and to an extent green light are all bigger hits than lana's songs.

8 hours ago, Ghiles said:

People who feel entitled to the idea that weaker vocalists don't deserve to outsell strong voiced ones solely because of the difference in vocal talent are annoying. Enjoy that **** music with big vocals I guess.

Agreed. The standard definition of "talent" is so bothersome to me. If you can write and express yourself with your voice it's fine. Why does everyone need to be an Ariana or Gaga? :deadbanana4: There are so many artists out there who do good music but are not great singers and still they are fantastic in their own way. Just listen to Indie music. Not everything can be handled like pop music.

Yall find shade in anything, even an editable site like Wiki

Funny thing how 36 minutes ago someone added Beyoncé's name as well to vocally lower artists list, but sure let us keep cackling at this "shade"

a859b62cb8f763ab6396079640076f1a0784c43a

7 minutes ago, Nein said:

Yall find shade in anything, even an editable site like Wiki

Funny thing how 36 minutes ago someone added Beyoncé's name as well to vocally lower artists list, but sure let us keep cackling at this "shade"

the expose, I can't. 

The first sentence basically saying talent lost in the 2010s

2ivz0vo.jpg

Which one of you added Beyoncé’s and Britney’s names to the article. :bibliahh:

4 minutes ago, Daydream said:

And Lana Del God...:bibliahh: 

1 hour ago, Isaiah said:

lana isnt as known to the gp:michael: royals, team, and to an extent green light are all bigger hits than lana's songs.

Lana is def more known to the gp than Lorde. I love Lorde too but Lana started the whole indie trend and deserves credit. I'm sure Summertime Sadness, Video Games and Young & Beautiful are more known than Team, Green Light. I'd even argue that Summertime Sadness is bigger than Royals, charts are not everything. If this is just about the charts positions then yes, Lorde wins but culturally Lana is way bigger and important.

including ‘EVERYTHING IS LOVE’ chanteuse Beyoncé 

:dies:

Didn't Britney slay the 2000s? It's dumb to think singers that aren't powerhouse vocalists being commercially successful began with this decade and whoever wrote that has no sense of music history :lmao:

7 hours ago, Opium said:

nowhere, she's too big

11 minutes ago, Young In Love said:

Lana is def more known to the gp than Lorde. I love Lorde too but Lana started the whole indie trend and deserves credit. I'm sure Summertime Sadness, Video Games and Young & Beautiful are more known than Team, Green Light. I'd even argue that Summertime Sadness is bigger than Royals, charts are not everything. If this is just about the charts positions then yes, Lorde wins but culturally Lana is way bigger and important.

sorry but.. you really lost me at 'summertime sadness bigger than royals' part.  a859b62cb8f763ab6396079640076f1a0784c43a

also team is bigger than all ldr songs but i agree with green light cuz it isn't trendy or radio friendly song like other ones

22 minutes ago, Young In Love said:

team is 5x platinum and video games is only gold :emofish:  team is honestly bigger than every LDR song as well...

-

Royals is diamond and a 2013 staple. Summertime sadness didn't outsell it anywhere, and even beyond charts/sales, royals was universally acclaimed and even won SOTY meanwhile Summertime sadness didn't win a thing :michael:

6 minutes ago, 80x100 said:

sorry but.. you really lost me at 'summertime sadness bigger than royals' part.  a859b62cb8f763ab6396079640076f1a0784c43a

also team is bigger than all ldr songs but i agree with green light cuz it isn't trendy or radio friendly song like other ones

I said "i'd even argue" but since you wanted it let's take for example Spotify streams/stats

VG 286M < GL 310M < Team 332M < Y&B 364M < Royals 593M < SS 607M (257M original + the ugly remix version 350M)

Spoiler

SS is just that summer classic 

24 minutes ago, Young In Love said:

I said "i'd even argue" but since you wanted it let's take for example Spotify streams/stats

VG 286M < GL 310M < Team 332M < Y&B 364M < Royals 593M < SS 607M (257M original + the ugly remix version 350M)

Reveal hidden contents

SS is just that summer classic 

team (+7m) sold more than any lana song 

/end of the thread

I think they should have reffered to the songs instead of the artists. While Gaga is a great vocalist, the songs that made her famous are not known for her vocals. It's true that 1999s and 2000s R&B and Rock music focused more in vocals.

1 hour ago, Daydream said:

:rip:

5 minutes ago, Cherry123 said:

I think they should have reffered to the songs instead of the artists. While Gaga is a great vocalist, the songs that made her famous are not known for her vocals. It's true that 1999s and 2000s R&B and Rock music focused more in vocals.

With Spice Girls? Britney? Jessica Simpson? TLC? :lmao:

A shift from powerhouse vocals began in the 70s.

Just now, lonnie said:

With Spice Girls? Britney? Jessica Simpson? TLC? :lmao:

A shift from powerhouse vocals began in the 70s.

Well of course there are exceptions, and I don't know that much about music before the 90s so I can't really tell.

1 minute ago, Cherry123 said:

Well of course there are exceptions, and I don't know that much about music before the 90s so I can't really tell.

Even in the 90s, music had lots of stars that weren't grand vocalists. Even prior; Madonna, Janet, Kylie are all from the 80s. That point that somehow music was nothing but big voices until the 2010s is just an inaccurate lie. Pop/mainstream music experienced a shift with the music video era where visuals and branding began playing a big role into the making of stars and that was over 40 years ago.

3 hours ago, Young In Love said:

spotify is just one metric... 

and all of those (except GL) were released in the sales era, so thats a much more clear indication of how big they were... and in the end, the diamond certified royals and  team both outsell every lana song ever

11 hours ago, HonourableVomit said:

Well girl Whitney isn’t living by ANY rule anymore! 

damn, I wanted to put it in a softer way but you went off :bibliahh: