Frequently asked questions... Read more... ×

Do you believe Spotify?

26 posts in this topic

Discuss.

Source: https://artists.spotify.com/faq/promotion

• Our editors reserve the right to creative control for their selections. This means they may choose to feature a different song from the release on their playlist.

• it’s not possible to pay to increase your chances, nor can any external parties influence our editors

Why can’t I submit released music for playlist consideration?

Our editors and algorithms can use listening data to make playlisting decisions for released music. Unreleased music is available to submit for playlist consideration because it has little or no data.

The best way to get already released music on playlists is to encourage your fans to listen to your music on Spotify, add your music to their own playlists, and Follow you on Spotify. Editors and algorithms are constantly looking at this data to find music to add to playlists.

nope. a lot of random new artists get new music friday spots high on the playlist or end up on the big hits playlist on release. if it's all algorithms and initial listen numbers... bigger established artists should be spammed on playlists but that's never the case. 

I actually do believe a decent amount of playlisting simply comes down to Spotify having common sense of what artists are hugely popular currently and what artists the public would listen to and not want to skip. Obviously a new Billie, Ariana, Post, Drake, etc song would get big playlisting without any money/bribing required simply because they have a naturally huge audience.

For some of y’all to comprehend that though it requires simply realizing y’all faves simply aren’t that relevant with the public currently which y’all refuse to comprehend so of course it goes directly over your brain. Everything *has* to be a scheme, bias, blacklisting, and agenda specifically against your fave. 

Spotify is no different than Radio. Although I like that Spotify gives a platform for new musicians to just share their music with the world and they have a possibility to blow up anytime. But at the same its kinda really shady especially with the playlisting mess. 

11 minutes ago, Tsareena said:

nope. a lot of random new artists get new music friday spots high on the playlist or end up on the big hits playlist on release. if it's all algorithms and initial listen numbers... bigger established artists should be spammed on playlists but that's never the case. 

But that’s what the link says - for new, unreleased music there’s a pitching system so editors can listen to the song, and the placement on New Music Friday is then an editorial decision.

11 minutes ago, JawBreaker said:

Spotify is no different than Radio. Although I like that Spotify gives a platform for new musicians to just share their music with the world and they have a possibility to blow up anytime. But at the same its kinda really shady especially with the playlisting mess. 

But Spotify can at least use actual data (how long does a person listen, does it skip a song, does it save a song etc.). Radio can’t.

3 minutes ago, JawBreaker said:

Also I say this looking at how many followers an artist gets daily. Like I don't get how can you have hundreds of millions Spotify playlisting followers but you only gaining like 7k-15k followers a day. :rip:Your song is smashing so hard but your daily followers are way less than those with less Spotify playlisting and that has no songs actually smashing. Like how does that work?? :biblio:

Not everyone who follows a playlist is listening to all playlists they follow each day. I also believe that artists that are gaining many followers are doing a great job in social media or have word of mouth. I feel like if a playlist is being shown by Spotify on its home page has more value than simply the number of followers. It’s so easy to follow a playlist and let it die in your library.

20 minutes ago, Tsareena said:

This. 

18 minutes ago, iHype. said:

I actually do believe a decent amount of playlisting simply comes down to Spotify having common sense of what artists are hugely popular currently and what artists the public would listen to and not want to skip. Obviously a new Billie, Ariana, Post, Drake, etc song would get big playlisting without any money/bribing required simply because they have a naturally huge audience.

For some of y’all to comprehend that though it requires simply realizing y’all faves simply aren’t that relevant with the public currently which y’all refuse to comprehend so of course it goes directly over your brain. Everything *has* to be a scheme, bias, blacklisting, and agenda specifically against your fave. 

:clap3:

You can easily tell this is the case when albums drop and Spotify and Apple Music put different album tracks in their Today's Hits playlists. Its clearly human curators picking what they think is going to be the next hit from the album, otherwise it would be the same song being pushed on both platforms. 

An example is when thank u, next dropped. bad idea was pushed by Spotify while bloodline was pushed by Apple Music. 

1 hour ago, iHype. said:

I have friends that work for spotify and while this is true... labels are def paying for playlisting and they do blacklist people who do exclusives  

1 hour ago, iHype. said:

Bloop.

I worked at a record label last summer and was told that Spotify is actually super anal about not taking any bribes for playlisting.

lol no. Who are they kidding? I think it's like half their influence and half record label influence. And no I'm not saying this to put down any new acts. ALL mainstream acts, past and present, have had "payola" done for them at some point in their careers, either to get on or to create some post-prime hype.

There is some truth to it, to an extent. 

But also don’t forget the big labels have shares in Spotify, so hard to believe they don’t have some influence on how Spotify promotes its music.

I'm 100% sure it's a mix of factors

- actual demand and popularity

- some payola, especially for upcoming artists

2 hours ago, iHype. said:

It's this simple.