Frequently asked questions... Read more... ×

The Lion King On Course To Destroy The Box Office

61 posts in this topic

From the moment Disney started remaking their animated classics as modern blockbusters, The Lion King was arguably the most highly-anticipated title in the entire back catalogue. 

The continued and lasting appeal of The Lion Kinghas now spanned generations, and kids who saw the original in theaters will now be able to give their children the same experience. The Disney brand is bigger than it has ever been and the anticipation is starting to reach fever pitch to a point where Favreau’s Lion King has become too big to fail, no matter how the reviews turn out.

It’s a guarantee that this thing will make a ton of money. The real question is: how much?

Well, Fandango reported that The Lion Kingbecame their second best pre-seller of the year behind Avengers: Endgame, a movie that obliterated box office records and opened domestically to $357.1m. Obviously nobody is expecting those kinds of numbers, but as little as a month ago analysts were predicting The Lion King could earn between $125m and $150m, which has quietly risen to nearer $200m as the release date draws closer.

About as much of a sure thing as you can get at the box office, The Lion King appeals to virtually everyone and is already at the top of many people’s ‘must see’ list. Four of the five highest-grossing movies of 2019 come from Disney, and the all-conquering studio’s latest remake is virtually guaranteed to earn over a billion dollars at this point.

https://wegotthiscovered.com/movies/lion-king-box-office/

185 million - 210 million opening weekend. 

The reviews wont impact it, it will only stop it from going higher than that.

The Lion King is one of the most well known Disney movie, so I can hardly see how this is surprising. But I’m sure a particular fanbase will claim it’s their fave’s impact :dies:

it will have a big opening and then fall.

positive word of mouth is what saved Aladdin. TLK probably won't have that

1 minute ago, Dei said:

This will be front loaded and have terrible word of mouth 

NickiMinajOnCellphoneNodding.gif

5 minutes ago, getback said:

it will have a big opening and then fall.

positive word of mouth is what saved Aladdin. TLK probably won't have that

This! It will obviously gross a huge amount the first week, but I have a feeling that 2nd week will tell a different story. We'll see. :foxaylove3:

So we still gonna say it's Bey's Lion King, right? 

This is why the paid Bey $25M. They knew she would bring in a large audience :clap3:

I called 150 million to 170 million opening weekend in the US a few weeks ago.. I still don’t think it will do 200 million

2 minutes ago, Hurem said:

Didn't it have a budget of $250? If it doesn't do at least half of that it'll look pretty bad. :doc: 

It’s definitely going to do more than $250.

I’m still going with 200M opening weekend. I’m having a hard time reserving a spot that’s not directly in front of the big screen here in NY on Friday. I should have bought tickets the other week :dancehall:

It was always going to be big at the box office, it’s a remake of one of the biggest movies of all time, shame it’s PANNED and ROTTEN.