Frequently asked questions... Read more... ×

The Lion King is getting destroyed by critics

126 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Some early reviews are out:

IndieWire (Top Critic):

https://www.indiewire.com/2019/07/the-lion-king-review-2019-1202157153/

‘The Lion King’ Review: Disney’s Remake Is a Disastrous Plunge into the Uncanny Valley

Unfolding like the world’s longest and least convincing deepfake, Jon Favreau’s (almost) photorealistic remake of “The Lion King” is meant to represent the next step in Disney’s circle of life. Instead, this soulless chimera of a film comes off as little more than a glorified tech demo from a greedy conglomerate — a well-rendered but creatively bankrupt self-portrait of a movie studio eating its own tail.

TimeOut (Top Critic):

https://www.timeout.com/us/film/the-lion-king-2019

This new Lion King is an invader of the real world, its characters akin to stuffed trophies mounted on the wall. They're lifelike, yes, but somehow not alive.

Something is off about this defiantly unmagical remake of The Lion King, a film that is both photorealistic—down to every artfully placed lens flare and whisker on Simba’s chin—and the furthest thing from real. It’ll either mildly disturb you or make you feel like your skin is on backward. Granted, it’s still The Lion King: still a study piece of Hamlet-derived musical theater, now with 100 percent more Beyoncé, never a bad thing. (Look deep in the lemon eyes of her lioness, Nala, and you can swear you see her.) But Disney’s animated movies have traditionally been invitations to dream bigger than nature; even when you go to one of their theme parks, you submit to pretending. This new Lion King is an invader of the real world, its characters akin to stuffed trophies mounted on the wall. They’re lifelike, yes, but somehow not alive.

The Spool:

The Lion King Review:This Pride Is a Sin

Never has something looked so photorealistic and felt so false.

Say what you will about the recent spate of live-action Disney remakes, but the better – or at least more interesting – ones have taken at least a few liberties with their source material. Pete’s Dragon completely reinvented the story into a sweet Southern Gothic tale about family, loss, and identity. Even Dumbo, for all its flaws, turned a shorter, problematic cartoon into a half-formed treatise on the corporatization of Disney itself. But then there’s 2019’s The Lion King, a film committed to slavishly, dully recreating a story they already told perfectly two decades ago, only with a greater sense of ‘realism’ (critics have been asked to describe the movie as “photoreal” rather than live action) underpinning it.

OH MY ****ING GOD, NOOOO!! :weeps:

didn't read but I agree

Damn! Shame Beyonce's Lion King couldn't live up to the hype.

:deadbanana: I knew it

Beyoncé’s The Lion King did that:clap3:

Beyonce's fault. Her voice ruins the mother lion character.

4HPA.gif 

They’re basically saying what everyone has been saying. It’s too realistic to the point the animals lack emotions. 

What is its score on RT and metacritic so far?

I mean, the reason it’s getting flack seems like a general consensus.  I don’t know why nobody thought it looked weird beforehand :rip: 

1 minute ago, TinkerbellClap said:

What is its score on RT and metacritic so far?

Meta: 53

RT not out yet, based on the current reviews, 50

Yikes, the hive will have to resort to pretending like it's no longer "Beyonces lion king" in no time.

That's fine they can say what they want, fans at the end will enjoy themselves. Remember how Aladdin was and now it's sitting nicely at $925 million? ($323,339,853 + $602,000,403 F)

Welp, we all knew it was coming. Everything they said is exactly how it shows up in the clips we’ve seen: void of any emotion, constantly breaking the fourth wall with bad voice acting, bad singing, bad mouthing, etc. It’s lowkey a disaster 

Do nothing about the movie itself lol? I didn’t see this much complaint about the animals with jungle book lol spare me.

Easily the worst Disney remake so far even worse than Dumbo , the lack of emotions from the animals faces makes the movie way to boring and distracting 

Ugh i really wanted it to be good and i wanted to go and relive this amazing movie again :jonny2: I am not sure if i should go see it :jonny5: 

After all the hype the Hive created for Beyonce’s the Lion King? :jonny: 

The animation getting dragged :!ohno: I knew the photorealism wouldn't work with the expressive parts...the animals don't have any emotions in their face.

I'll still see it though :clap3:

YIKES

a859b62cb8f763ab6396079640076f1a0784c43a