Janelle Monáe: "wish my mom would let me have a vibrator"

8 posts in this topic

When asked about what brings her pleasure, Monáe is less coy. “Masturbation,” she says matter-of-factly. Though it may seem like an attention-grabbing statement, it is rooted in practicality. “I have been in situations where as a young girl you have compromised your morals and your values and you feel used,” she says. “And I’m like, ‘If my mother had let me have a vibrator at a young age to be in touch with my body more, I could have saved myself from so many poor decisions.’ You know what I’m saying?” 

She talked about her religious family

The majority of [my family] grew up Baptist, and the sermons would all be around how if you are a homosexual or if you’re gay and you don’t repent and live a hetero-normative life and get married, well … hell is your final destination,” says Monáe. “I talked to my mom and dad first, and my mom, in particular, had a lot of questions. I said, ‘Mama, the only way that I can create art is to truthfully tell my story. It has to come from an honest place, and this is who I honestly am. I don’t know any other way. I have to talk about my sexuality. I have to talk about my blackness. I have to talk about my womanness. I have to talk about these things. This is who I am as a person.’ 

Source: https://www.instyle.com/celebrity/janelle-monae-august-badass-cover-story

Queen :clap3:

A relatable queen :clap3:

I saw her in Dublin last week. Yes, she’s just as phenomenal live as you imagined. :worship:

were you there by any chance @Paddy ?

I love her!

14 hours ago, Bey'Knight said:

I saw her in Dublin last week. Yes, she’s just as phenomenal live as you imagined. :worship:

were you there by any chance @Paddy ?

YES! Made it into front row. The show was phenomenal, loved it, very rarely I've seen crowd so wild as I did during Django Jane.  She was great, she was taking her time to appear on the stage but I'm glad she kept going even after the curfew and finished the show. She even made an eye contact with me numerous times. (And I also have to say, I really enjoyed Grace Carter, didn't know what to expect but kinda fell in love with her now haha, her EP is great.)

2 minutes ago, Paddy said:

YES! Made it into front row. The show was phenomenal, loved it, very rarely I've seen crowd so wild as I did during Django Jane.  She was great, she was taking her time to appear on the stage but I'm glad she kept going even after the curfew and finished the show. She even made an eye contact with me numerous times. (And I also have to say, I really enjoyed Grace Carter, didn't know what to expect but kinda fell in love with her now haha, her EP is great.)

Ah no way! I probably got a glimpse of u so. I wasn't front row, more like 3rd.You're not that twink queen that got put on stage during I got the juice, are you? :emofish: Yeah I was worried that the show would get cut or even cancelled. It's the first live show I've ever been to that didn't start on time. She's so freaking cute in person too. The most flawless blemish-free skin I've ever laid my eyes on.

I thought Grace was just alright. There's a lot of cussing in her lyrics that I felt were a bit OTT but that's just prudish me talking.

OT: I hope she's referring to her teenage years not much younger cus ...