Jump to content
Frequently asked questions... Read more... ×

Ed to do 200K+ in the UK

36 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Did my eyes read right that he did 650K with Divide in the UK in his first week?? The hell? No way! I never knew his actual power here when many number 1 albums struggle to reach 100K on opening week.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, P!nk said:

Did my eyes read right that he did 650K with Divide in the UK in his first week?? The hell? No way! I never knew his actual power here when many number 1 albums struggle to reach 100K on opening week.

It’s not many albums that struggle to do 100k first week, that number is pretty much limited to just Adele, Ed and Take That (and maybe 1D’s next album if it happens in the next couple years).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, P!nk said:

Did my eyes read right that he did 650K with Divide in the UK in his first week?? The hell? No way! I never knew his actual power here when many number 1 albums struggle to reach 100K on opening week.

300k = 1 platinum in the UK.

 

650K = 2M first week in the US. That's crazier than Taylor in the US proportion wise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In case anyone was wondering, here’s the biggest first weeks of the 2010s. 

 

Post-Streaming

 

Adele - "25" (800,307)

Ed Sheeran – "÷" (672k)

Coldplay – "A Head Full of Dreams" (235,975)

Ed Sheeran – "X" (182,427)

David Bowie – "Blackstar" (146,168)

 

Take That – “III" (144,538)

One Direction – "Four" (141,780)

Pink Floyd – "The Endless River" (139,351)

Eminem – "Revival" (132k)

Rag N Bone Man – "Human" (117,000)

 

Take That – "Odyssey" (106k)

Liam Gallagher – "As You Were" (103k)

 

Pre-Streaming

 

Take That – "Progress" (518,601)

One Direction – "Midnight Memories" (237,338)

Coldplay – "Mylo Xyloto" (208,343)

Lady Gaga – "Born This Way" (215,639)

Adele – "21" (208,090)

 

Amy Winehouse – "Lioness: Hidden Treasures" (194,966)

Kings of Leon – "Come Around Sundown" (183,298)

Coldplay – "Ghost Stories" (168,048)

Daft Punk – "Random Access Memories" (165,091)

Rihanna – "Talk That Talk" (163,819)

 

Arctic Monkeys – "AM” (157,329)

One Direction – "Take Me Home" (155,316)

Olly Murs – "In Case You Didn’t Know" (148,532)

Eminem – "The Marshall Mathers LP2" (143,034)

One Direction – “Up All Night (138,631, #2)

 

Bruno Mars – Unorthodox Jukebox (136,391)

Rebecca Ferguson – "Heaven" (128,458, #3)

Olly Murs – "Right Here Right Now" (126,949)

Justin Timberlake – "The 20/20 Experience" (126,949)

Robbie Williams – "In & Out of Consciousness: The Greatest Hits 1990–2010" (124,689)

 

Noel Gallagher’s High Flying Birds – "Noel Gallagher’s High Flying Birds" (122,530)

Michael Buble – "To Be Loved" (121,415)

Lana Del Rey – "Born To Die" (116,745)

Gary Barlow – Since I Law You Last (116k, #2)

 

Foo Fighters – "Wasted Light" (114,557)

Emeli Sandé – "Our Version of Events" (113,319)

Paolo Nutini – "Caustic Love" (109,011)

Robbie Williams – "Swings Both Ways" (108,622)

Cheryl – "Messy Little Raindrops" (105,431)

 

Jessie J – "Who You Are" (105k, #2)

Susan Boyle – "The Gift" (102,993)

Ed Sheeran – "+" (102,350)

Sam Smith – "In the Lonely Hour" (101,752)

Boyzone – "Brother" (101,096)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, UnusualBoy said:

I'm not shocked at the numbers, he's huge there.

can i just say i love your avi

 

OT: It will probably be the biggest opening week of 2019 in the UK we been knew.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, GreatestLoveofAll said:

can i just say i love your avi

 

OT: It will probably be the biggest opening week of 2019 in the UK we been knew.

Lol, thanks sis.

 

OT: He will have the biggest opening this year and most likely best selling album of the year, if Adele doesn't release.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, skyandground said:

300k = 1 platinum in the UK.

 

650K = 2M first week in the US. That's crazier than Taylor in the US proportion wise.

Now compare that to BTS doing 2million+ first WEEK in a country of equivalent size as the UK

 

:jonny5:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Fitzswiftie said:

In case anyone was wondering, here’s the biggest first weeks of the 2010s. 

 

Post-Streaming

 

Adele - "25" (800,307)

Ed Sheeran – "÷" (672k)

Coldplay – "A Head Full of Dreams" (235,975)

Ed Sheeran – "X" (182,427)

David Bowie – "Blackstar" (146,168)

 

Take That – “III" (144,538)

One Direction – "Four" (141,780)

Pink Floyd – "The Endless River" (139,351)

Eminem – "Revival" (132k)

Rag N Bone Man – "Human" (117,000)

 

Take That – "Odyssey" (106k)

Liam Gallagher – "As You Were" (103k)

 

Pre-Streaming

 

Take That – "Progress" (518,601)

One Direction – "Midnight Memories" (237,338)

Coldplay – "Mylo Xyloto" (208,343)

Lady Gaga – "Born This Way" (215,639)

Adele – "21" (208,090)

 

Amy Winehouse – "Lioness: Hidden Treasures" (194,966)

Kings of Leon – "Come Around Sundown" (183,298)

Coldplay – "Ghost Stories" (168,048)

Daft Punk – "Random Access Memories" (165,091)

Rihanna – "Talk That Talk" (163,819)

 

Arctic Monkeys – "AM” (157,329)

One Direction – "Take Me Home" (155,316)

Olly Murs – "In Case You Didn’t Know" (148,532)

Eminem – "The Marshall Mathers LP2" (143,034)

One Direction – “Up All Night (138,631, #2)

 

Bruno Mars – Unorthodox Jukebox (136,391)

Rebecca Ferguson – "Heaven" (128,458, #3)

Olly Murs – "Right Here Right Now" (126,949)

Justin Timberlake – "The 20/20 Experience" (126,949)

Robbie Williams – "In & Out of Consciousness: The Greatest Hits 1990–2010" (124,689)

 

Noel Gallagher’s High Flying Birds – "Noel Gallagher’s High Flying Birds" (122,530)

Michael Buble – "To Be Loved" (121,415)

Lana Del Rey – "Born To Die" (116,745)

Gary Barlow – Since I Law You Last (116k, #2)

 

Foo Fighters – "Wasted Light" (114,557)

Emeli Sandé – "Our Version of Events" (113,319)

Paolo Nutini – "Caustic Love" (109,011)

Robbie Williams – "Swings Both Ways" (108,622)

Cheryl – "Messy Little Raindrops" (105,431)

 

Jessie J – "Who You Are" (105k, #2)

Susan Boyle – "The Gift" (102,993)

Ed Sheeran – "+" (102,350)

Sam Smith – "In the Lonely Hour" (101,752)

Boyzone – "Brother" (101,096)

Thanks for compiling this. It's sad that some of these big debuts only peaked at #2 or even #3 on the chart.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Genius1111 said:

Thanks for compiling this. It's sad that some of these big debuts only peaked at #2 or even #3 on the chart.

That’s because of the higher volume of sales in the weeks leading up to Christmas (or Adele 21’s was dominating). Rihanna Loud was #3 in its 6th week (Christmas week) on the chart with 307k sales. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, frenchyisback said:

Now compare that to BTS doing 2million+ first WEEK in a country of equivalent size as the UK

 

:jonny5:

Are they really doing 2m+ first week in Korea alone? Or is it just global sales (also very amazing of course)? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, skyandground said:

Are they really doing 2m+ first week in Korea alone? Or is it just global sales (also very amazing of course)? 

They did 2.1 Million in Korea & 2.7Million ww.

 

But to be fair, a lot of the Korean sale are sold as imports in other Asian countries. That's why the average Kpop album are sold $25 vs Us albums $12. They are mostly fabricated & sold to foreigners on line in Korea (Hanteo) then shipped overseas AFTER online purchase. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites