Frequently asked questions... Read more... ×

Beyoncé - “Spirit” (From The Lion King OST)

909 posts in this topic

14 minutes ago, Feanor said:

Overdue? :skull: She has never even received a Best Original Song nomination.

:ahh: 

I wish the melody after she sings Spirit would be different, I don't like the 'watch the heavens open part', if it stayed in the same melody as the previous the song would be soooooooo much better 

On 7/10/2019 at 3:41 PM, MrPiggyMoka said:

It's for a disney movie, nucklehead... What did you expect? Lemonade songs? Anyway an album she coproduced for LK to accompany the actual soundtrack is coming as well, so hold on to your poor edges.

Why hire Beyoncé if you don't want the songs to sound like Beyoncé songs?

This song slays.

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Bmezy said:

It kinda kills it for me because it sounds she's just showcasing how good she is and not caring about melody structure at all.” - the riff was set within the melodic line.. if we look at the entire phrase.. the descending run is literally just an inverse of the upward progression (oohhs) that leads in “spirit”.. the rise and fall of the line where she weaves the notes are melodically slund and make sense considering the gospel influences.. she jus tends not color her lines that way much outside live ballad perfornances.. she was clearly feeling it and the progression is used a lot in contemp. gospel artists these days. It seems deliberately placed and not some indulgent afterthought.. this isn’t your normal sterile power pop ballad ala pretty hurts ..their are some genuine gospel elements that will not sit well with the particular poptart demo, but it sounds glorious to me

For mariah, I like the 2nd one!

Maybe she'll do that in the live versions or something. We all know Beyoncé pushes her songs when done live.
But as for the studio recording, I think that sudden musical burst (she starts singing even a bit later than the music ascendents) lends to the message of the words she is singing and gives you the feeling of soaring somewhere and then being anchored there before she goes higher the next time.

This really grew on me. I hope it does well.

22 minutes ago, swissman said:

Maybe she'll do that in the live versions or something. We all know Beyoncé pushes her songs when done live.
But as for the studio recording, I think that sudden musical burst (she starts singing even a bit later than the music ascendents) lends to the message of the words she is singing and gives you the feeling of soaring somewhere and then being anchored there before she goes higher the next time.

I can see it smashing when they release the movie.

This is the best song from the soundtrack. The covers are hideous especially Be Prepared.

I just heard the song on the radio :heart2:

am I the only one on here who is in love with this song? :rip:

6 minutes ago, Touch It said:

I like it too

7 minutes ago, Touch It said:

Its her most relatable and beautiful ballad since Halo tbh.

8 hours ago, trainsskyscrapers said:

Overdue.

Other than "Listen", "Everything I Do", "Once In A Lifetime", "Woman Like Me" (but in a bond movie instead of Pink Panther), and "Rise Up" all were nomination-calibre tracks, with 2/4 of them having winning potential. 

Listen was nominated for an Oscar, but Bey wasn’t.

I don’t really know about the other ones you listed as having potential tbh

6 minutes ago, Headlock said:

Listen was nominated for an Oscar, but Bey wasn’t.

I don’t really know about the other ones you listed as having potential tbh

Woman Like Me is one of my fav Bey B-sides but I agree with you. She's not had an Oscar worthy soundtrack song until now.

Spirit isn't perfect but it's better than Sam Smith's Oscar song so if he can get it she might as well too :skull: 

On 7/10/2019 at 11:14 AM, J-esper said:

You find a song like 'The Circle Of Life' catchy? I guess everyone their own opinion, but I don't think the original The Lion King soundtrack is the catchyfest you try to make it out to be but to each their own :cm: It's overall a beautiful soundtrack (the original), I don't deny that but not in that vein

The song is memorable and gets stuck in your head, the literal definition of a catchy song. The song doesn’t have to have a repetitive beat or melody to be considered catchy. The song’s anthemic chorus is what makes it stick out from most movie soundtracks. The song was literally written by Tim Rice and Elton John you can’t tell me it wasn’t written with the intention to get hammered into your head. 

It may not be a I Just Can’t Wait to be King, but compared to most movie songs, it’s anthemic, memorable and has a unique sense of catchiness.

9 minutes ago, HausofNick said:

The song is memorable and gets stuck in your head, the literal definition of a catchy song. The song doesn’t have to have a repetitive beat or melody to be considered catchy. The song’s anthemic chorus is what makes it stick out from most movie soundtracks. The song was literally written by Tim Rice and Elton John you can’t tell me it wasn’t written with the intention to get hammered into your head. 

It may not be a I Just Can’t Wait to be King, but compared to most movie songs, it’s anthemic, memorable and has a unique sense of catchiness.

The opening line of “Nants ingonyama bagithi Baba” is literally one the most iconic and recognizable lyrics in musical film history, I canNOT at people trying to come for Circle of Life :dies:

#180 Spotify WW with 680k

#169 Spotify US with 236k

Expecting a nice jump tomorrow thanks to playlists

Listening to it in context of the soundtrack actually made me appreciate it more, its not bad but coming right on the heels of the CYFTLT (which is breathtaking)  it also reinforced that it falls short of the excellence they could deliver for the only new song on the soundtrack.

Also her vocals from CYFTLT are to die for. Sometimes less is more.

3 hours ago, *-ChriZ-* said:

Its her most relatable and beautiful ballad since Halo tbh.

PYCM >>>>>

This is being sent to Urban radio but not Pop :bibliahh:

2 minutes ago, Blue Rose said:

:toofunny3:

Who’s taking care of this, Disney or Parkwood? 

3 minutes ago, Blue Rose said:

Pop radio isn't going to play this on power rotation, but it should have been sent for the hell of it. Any Al helps.