Frequently asked questions... Read more... ×

Rihanna slammed for Cultural Appropriation

134 posts in this topic

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/rihanna-slammed-cultural-appropriation-amid-140340228.html?soc_src=social-sh&soc_trk=tw

The singer is being labeled culturally insensitive for her August Harper's Bazaar China cover and it's sparked a heated debate in her comments.

Rihanna posted the cover on Tuesday, which shows her wearing a high-fashion twist to the traditional Chinese garb. With her hair up and several handheld fan decorations in her updo, the Fenty Beauty founder looks stoic and strong, but not everyone agrees.

Her cover has sparked the debate of what's cultural appropriate, with several followers arguing that Rihanna shouldn't get a pass.

"I love you to the moon and back and you look fire queen but am also confused WHAT IS CULTURAL APPROPRIATION? If a white gurl pulled out that outfit she would get so much backlash," one person commented. "There is no double standard when it comes to black people and white people cultural appropriating because yes, it is worse when a white person does it," wrote another.

People are so ****ing stupid, it was done by Chinese people. They're getting paid for this.

yes, burn ha to the stake, this evil appropriating witch

She has a history of culturally appropriating asian cultures and making fun of asian women. You would think she would learn her lesson and stop, but alas... 

Posted (edited)

The double standard exists because with white people appropriate there is nothing to exchange. :skull:

Blacks and Asians share all the time.

Rihanna is racist.

So one person lol

1 minute ago, Pop said:

She has a history of culturally appropriating asian cultures and making fun of asian women. You would think she would learn her lesson and stop, but alas... 

That’s true. Rihanna was straight up racist to Karreuche Tran wasn’t she?

Haus Laboratories has started their press tour I see

A photoshoot planned by a Chinese team with a chinese photographer for a Chinese magazine. I’m failing to see the appropriation here  

But wasn’t it done by, Harper’s Bazaar CHINA?

cultural appropriation doesn't exist.

It was a Chinese magazine, in China :skull: It's not appropriation if you're in the country. Plus I'm gonna guess everyone involved with the cover was Chinese. 

2 minutes ago, Pop said:

took you long enough to run in here dog

1 hour ago, Pop said:

ugh just like GAGA

Queen GAGA always ahead of her time

Lady-Gaga-Indian-bride.jpg

87c2dfba1f7b50d9337f6b45fb68473d.jpg

3 minutes ago, Pop said:

What?

Just now, Cheers said:

Haus Laboratories has started their press tour I see

what

She's over

I knew this faux outrage would happen when I saw the pics :rip:

3 minutes ago, brainmaniac said:

That’s true. Rihanna was straight up racist to Karreuche Tran wasn’t she?

Yes.

Warning: Triggering image below!

Spoiler

giphy.gif

Chinese society (in China, this magazine's target) doesn't care about that stuff.

The true joke here is some American pushing her cultural standards and norms on an Asian country without having any knowledge on said country. American woke politics are not universal.

6 minutes ago, Pop said:

No matter how much you want some kinda backlash to happen it's not gonna happen :lmao:

OT: No one cares 

America shipped cultural appropriation and China shipped it back

I haven’t seen one person complain :rip: this feels made up 

anyways doesn’t make sense either cause pretty much her entire team on the photo shoot were Chinese people, most notably the stylist and editor. That’s not how appropriation works and applying it to cases like this undermines the cases where it applies and is a problem

This is done by a team consisting of Chinese people, for Chinese people in a Chinese Magazine.

If y'all dumbasses wanna be SJW so bad, be at least good at it.