Frequently asked questions... Read more... ×

[Megathread] Taylor's Lawyer: Scott Lied About Masters

989 posts in this topic

10 hours ago, HazelHyphen said:

Yes. But is there a precedent that supports her rights to be prioritised to bid? I mean no shade, so I hope nobody takes this the wrong way, just that I don’t see why a lawyer is involved. What claims does she have to be first bid? 

I mean, she was one of the label's first signees and is responsible for over 80% of their income.  She's basically responsible for making them what they are.  I think it's only fair to be open to giving her a chance to buy the label (or at least her masters).

Scooter: *sources say he is not speaking out publicly and will contact Taylor in private*

Also Scooter: Trolling Taylor fans on instagram

1 hour ago, MissedTheTrain said:

I mean, she was one of the label's first signees and is responsible for over 80% of their income.  She's basically responsible for making them what they are.  I think it's only fair to be open to giving her a chance to buy the label (or at least her masters).

I understand that but again, this falls under social responsibility/social ethics, not really a legal claim, no? 

1 hour ago, HazelHyphen said:

I understand that but again, this falls under social responsibility/social ethics, not really a legal claim, no? 

Pretty much, yes, there was nothing legally stopping them from doing what they did.  But it was ****ed up, and I think that's why she spoke up......this stuff happens so often in the music industry despite being "legal" and "just business", but it shouldn't have to be that way.  Artists are screwed over constantly in a technically legal way, and they shouldn't be. 

This isn't the first time she has spoken up for the greater good of artists....her Apple Music letter was one of the first times, and the second time was the specific terms she made UMG go by to sign her (3rd page).  She signed with them under the condition that they would start paying all of their artists (not just her) a percentage of the money they make from the sales in their shares with Spotify.  I think she's very passionate about fighting for the industry to treat artists better, especially moving forward towards the streaming era (which is becoming tougher and tougher for artists).  

1 hour ago, MissedTheTrain said:

Scooter: *sources say he is not speaking out publicly and will contact Taylor in private*

Also Scooter: Trolling Taylor fans on instagram

As if we needed more proof that he’s a little bitch with all bark and no bite :cm:

11 hours ago, Nikko said:

I mean, you can actually switch the faces during video calls with one tap

In 2016 we can't actually.. 

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, MissedTheTrain said:

This isn't the first time she has spoken up for the greater good of artists....her Apple Music letter was one of the first times, and the second time was the specific terms she made UMG go by to sign her (3rd page).  She signed with them under the condition that they would start paying all of their artists (not just her) a percentage of the money they make from the sales in their shares with Spotify.  I think she's very passionate about fighting for the industry to treat artists better, especially moving forward towards the streaming era (which is becoming tougher and tougher for artists).  

It’s not that they would share proceeds of the sale, as all the labels promised to do that, it’s that it would be non-recoupable. Which is what Sony Music already did. Warner did not. I doubt it was that big of a condition as Universal was leaning that way anyway. (They’re unlikely to be selling their stock anytime soon, as up to 50% of ownership of the company is looking to be sold). 

As much as I don’t doubt she’s passionate about better deals for artists, ppl need to realize that she’s not now working with (or technically continuing to) a label who is necessarily on the same page, as her note suggests. That’s unfair to other artists on their roster. Universal has certainly screwed plenty of artists over and undoubtedly will continue to do so. And she’s still standing next to a guy who works with Kanye and had no problem posing with him in and posting that infamous MAGA hat photo. 

I take issue with this with other artists as well. Jay-Z pretty much has for long, but he owns a record label and do you think he lets artists own their masters or give them better deals? Nooope. 

11 hours ago, MissedTheTrain said:

Pretty much, yes, there was nothing legally stopping them from doing what they did.  But it was ****ed up, and I think that's why she spoke up......this stuff happens so often in the music industry despite being "legal" and "just business", but it shouldn't have to be that way.  Artists are screwed over constantly in a technically legal way, and they shouldn't be. 

That’s definitely true. Artist’s get screwed over by industry standards and those standards aren’t okay. But at the same time, in this instance, we’re talking about rich people (getting richer) and that’s going to make ppl feel a way. If they had given her what she wanted and just sold her her masters back, it would’ve seriously devalued the company and could possibly end up costing people their jobs. Nobody ever cares about the people who work tirelessly on campaigns and people who work tirelessly on administrative aspects, etc. To hear artists act like the label didn’t do anything is frustrating. If you really believe that, then don’t sign with one, do all the promotion and funding and keep the wheels turning yourself. (There are also numerous companies who handle distribution etc, you don’t have to sign with a label - unless you want the cash). We can all agree label heads/executives like in any business tend to care more about their pockets, but artists aren’t the only ones getting screwed over - the “little people” do too, and they don’t get to live lavish lifestyles. Neither do the artists who are less successful or are on the rise and get paid less attention to while the label caters to the big artist(s). Will a fight like this end up changing anything for them? I really don’t know, this is far from the first discussion tho some are acting like it is, but I hope I’m wrong. (More recently it should have with Ke$ha, and her rapist probably still owns her masters yet here we are...). 

The same goes for people like session musicians and engineers, etc etc etc. And further, artists might be finding it more difficult in the streaming era, but songwriters have it a lot worse and even getting people to care about them is difficult, and they deserve way more attention. As she’s a songwriter, that’s definitely a cause I would have liked to see her take up. (Maybe I’m wrong, but I don’t remember her saying anything about the MMA etc). 

The Sue-wift power in action. :clap3: Roast that clown Taylor! 

On 7/4/2019 at 6:34 AM, JawBreaker said:

So Scooter was the one taking the screenshot and he sent it to Justin for him to post it after :deadbanana4: another day another lie :rip:

disgusting. :biblio:

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, Quaithe said:

disgusting. :biblio:

Martin Garrixx posted the whole photo. Justin’s photo is a cropped version of that same photo. So it’s entirely possible that his post was a screenshot of Martin’s. (At the very least, he wasn’t the only one with the photo).

https://www.instagram.com/p/BIl83OhA5XZ/?igshid=13on72grunnbh

On 7/4/2019 at 4:59 AM, MissedTheTrain said:

Obviously take it with a grain of salt

I hope it's real.  I feel like there's a LOT we don't know. 

Also, I read a rumor on twitter that the reason her and Karlee had a falling out was because she was telling Scooter stuff about Taylor and her career (she might've not intentionally been trying to spill gossip or anything but yeah)

Yeah there has to be other reasons for her to claim the bullying since a screenshot over three years ago and a video link for Famous when he was Kanye's manager I dont think really counts enough to warrant such a reaction... 

I've always held the opinion that all artists should have a fair opportunity to get their Masters back. It's a big problem in the industry, I wish Taylor had focused more on that instead of the rant, she would have gotten more support that way. 

Overall it's upsetting but it's nice seeing most of the industry supporting Taylor and not the evil man. And at least, hopefully, artists will be more aware of their rights and be careful when signing the contract. 

What's the difference between catalogue and masters, or are they the same thing?

And I read Rihanna owns all of her music. How come some artist own all their music, while big successful artists (like Taylor) does not?

Also, Taylor making royalties from her writing skills, does not equal to her actually "owning" the song am I right? So who makes more money - people with catalogues or "masters"?

3 minutes ago, Feather said:

What's the difference between catalogue and masters, or are they the same thing?

And I read Rihanna owns all of her music. How come some artist own all their music, while big successful artists (like Taylor) does not?

Also, Taylor making royalties from her writing skills, does not equal to her actually "owning" the song am I right? So who makes more money - people with catalogues or "masters"?

It was a product of her contract she signed at 15 with her label. Taylor doesn't own her material pre-Lover at this point.