July Town Hall Thread Read more... ×

Generation Z doesn't know Madonna, why?

53 posts in this topic

start at the 2:17 Mark

"I feel so bad for madonna. She's old."

Sorry madonna, I don't know if you are still alive, but-.. *Adult cackles heard in the background*

Now The entire video is a cringe fest really (buzztrash is trying to be kids react 2.0 to stay relevant!) but the unexpected madonna shade had me so ****ing weak

the madonna shade is also the official caption for this video  

This lil' girl went in   not madonna being a synonym for "old"  i can't with this. So disrespectful. 

Also this is tragic too :

She hasn’t adapted well to social media or starred in a hit film like Mamma Mia: Here We Go Again, so most people under 25 don’t know her. :emofish: 

Because they're too busy being scared by Momo or following stupid meme to give artists older than they are a chance. 

I literally went to a 18+ drag show recently and they called some kids on stage to lip sync to vogue and none of them knew any of the words :deadbanana4:

Who care, we know who Madonna is and what she did for music.

None of the girls they fan for would even be here if it wasn't for her .. 

3 minutes ago, Lead Cenobite said:

Because they're too busy being scared by Momo or following stupid meme to give artists older than they are a chance. 

drake is 30+

4 minutes ago, G.U.Y. Gaga said:

I literally went to a 18+ drag show recently and they called some kids on stage to lip sync to vogue and none of them knew any of the words :deadbanana4:

:biblio: a literal disgrace

the young gays these days I swear, they really think Ariana is the height of pop:bibliahh:

It happens with most legends.

It really doesn't matter because her impact is felt in the music industry and those who want to get into pop classics will know Madonna.

You think Gen Z knows David Bowie or Prince songs either?

5 minutes ago, G.U.Y. Gaga said:

I... I can't. I just can't. I cannot. I can... not.

zMloped.gif

:deadbanana2:

21 minutes ago, yoshi23 said:

The girl comparing Madonna to Zendaya, I...

Because she's our grandparents age and doesn't have any iconic songs that transcends multiple generations.

It’s the natural progression of newer generations developing their own pop culture but it sure makes me feel old. In thirty years these gen-zers will be complaining about how the future’s youth only listen to trash like Proto Zoa instead of “real” artists like Billy Eilish :deadbanana2:.

9 minutes ago, IvyTower said:

It’s the natural progression of newer generations developing their own pop culture but it sure makes me feel old. In thirty years these gen-zers will be complaining about how the future’s youth only listen to trash like Proto Zoa instead of “real” artists like Billy Eilish :deadbanana2:.

:rip: :rip: :rip:

Same way they don't know Janet and most acts from the 80's. Specially in the USA Madonna is known by name but not much more than that.

Here in Europe i literally don't know anyone who doesn't know her because she had huge hits last decade. 

Generation Z knows Hung Up, Sorry, 4 Minutes etc...at least here.

My sister stans Madonna and she made his boyfriend sing masterpiece at a party and they are both under 20 so... This is my exposure to the so called gen Z, which shows that no random videon or depressed homosexuals such as Rowan matter by the end of the day. 

I’m in my 20’s and if it wasn’t for the gays on this site, I would think she was a 1 hit wonder (Like A Virgin)...

ageism struck

I've been saying

Disrespectful kids, I'd blast Vogue/Holiday/Music/Hung Up/Like a Prayer/etc to my children everyday if I had any :biblio:

Those dumbass kids tried to put an entire cassette in a jewel case into the player...

no one born this century knows a madonna song. she literally has no timeless classics like i will always love you, my heart will go on, and all i want for xmas is you. i always ki when her  fans say that young people know vogue and like a prayer i- :bibliahh:

Posted (edited)

Kids typically don't know much about any pop culture before their time unless their parents or some other much older relative exposes them to it. This isn't a new phenomena and it's not exclusive to Madonna.

well in my experience most people 13+ know who she is and at least a few songs...:confused:  but I guess 10 year olds not identifying the Ray of Light video is more significant

It depends. For example, some months ago I was with my 10 yo cousin and the radio was playing La Isla Bonita and she actually recognized that it was madonna and sang along, I was really surprised. 

“Lady Gaga when she was younger?”

-Says the girl with the BAT ponytail.

Anyway they were born between 2007-2010 I get that they don’t know her but at least some recognized MG, Vogue or LAP, M’s last big hit was GI2M in 2008 so...

I also liked how the kids were shocked about all her different looks and evolutions and also how the music was different.