Frequently asked questions... Read more... ×

What does Bon Appetit make you feel?

15 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

That life is worth living 

that i'm lucky to be alive on Katy times!

Like a snack.

repulsed 

Revulsion

E U P H O R I A :party:

4 minutes ago, Princedele25 said:

Like a snack.

Malnourished 

Posted (edited)

Makes me feel like my h*le is ready. 

Hungry.

I was surprised to see the mixed reception for this one... and then I wasn't.

Further proof of a deep generational chasm that divides ATRL into two camps; the twentysomething pop sophisticates with 15 to 20 years of top-shelf pop consumption to their name, and an unruly kid crew with Scream Queens avatars and tributes to Nick Jonas in their signatures. It's not that the latter generation is a lost cause entirely, but they've clearly never heard a "Katy" — that is, they've never encountered a voice quite as distinctive as Katy's. "But I know Katy! One Of The Boys was the first album I bought!" First off, ask for a refund. And no, you don't know Katy, you know a very stilted and subdued version of the iconic performer.

The Katy of "Bon Appetit" is Katy as Katy is intended to sound. She very skillfully vacillates between a range of tones; she whispery, then guttural, then seductive, then whispery again, then delicate. (And yes, that's how she's supposed to do it.) She's sultry. She's goofy. She's sounds slightly absurd. She's fully engaged. She's expressive in ways that "technically superior" vocalists just aren't. She is brilliant. You have no idea how brilliant she is.

This is the probably purest attempt Katy has made to harness some of that ineffable charm that made her early work so irresistible. I adore it.

Posted (edited)

Although I really enjoy Katy's version I admit that Charlie Puth's version turns me on a little bit tbh :-x

I'm nothing more than a snack for my man :jonny6:

On 6/13/2019 at 1:07 AM, Wii said:

Although I really enjoy Katy's version I admit that Charlie Puth's version turns me on a little bit tbh :-x

Everything he does turns me on :oh: