HDD: US YTD Top 5 Digital Songs

Hector

GIANT NAS X: "OLD TOWN" CROSSROAD

Could the last pure sales giant—and last million-seller—be among us?

By now, everyone knows the story of "Old Town Road." Lil Nas X cracked the viral code and created a monster. Add Columbia's support, Billy Ray Cyrus, cross-culture appeal and a triumph over arbitrary Billboard pigeon-holing, and the monster became the biggest smash since (insert any song here).

What makes it a unicorn is that not only is "Old Town Road" dominating streaming, it's the biggest selling track of the year by a longshot. The rate at which it is killing the competition—currently outselling #2 by 3:1—is astounding. In a couple of weeks, the track will hit 1m in pure sales. And with iTunes entering retirement, it very well could be the last million-seller in history.

Take a look at how the top tracks of the year compare to "Old Town Road" in pure sales.

hitsdd_photo_gal__photo_104608375.png

On top of the sales numbers, the track has generated over $5m of revenue to date. Combined with streaming and video, "Road" is halfway to Diamond. When Lil Nas X's debut EP hits streets, it will have already notched 750k in album units. "Old Town Road" has conquered the old model and is likely the last true sales champion, while it marches forward as the harbinger of the future's potential.

HDD

I-... :deadbanana4: 

750K in album units? :hoetenks:  WOW. 

7 Rings only sold 400K? That's sort of shocking? I knew she was always a streaming artist, but dang!

It's like, people LOVE her, but not enough to ever rub 2 pennies together and buy her music product. Majority of her figures are all streaming. 

She is on a whole another league

2 minutes ago, letscauseascene1 said:

7 Rings only sold 400K? That's sort of shocking? I knew she was always a streaming artist, but dang!

It's like, people LOVE her, but not enough to ever rub 2 pennies together and buy her music product. Majority of her figures are all streaming. 

And streaming generates more revenue so your point is what?

14 minutes ago, letscauseascene1 said:

Literally every sales figure in the OP are weak (welcome to 2019), what are you on :rip:

7 Rings has a whole lotta streams which is what matters nowadays 

Edited by istan4badgalriri

37 minutes ago, letscauseascene1 said:

Stop being stupid. We are in 2019.

sunflower outsold 7 rings wow :soda: @Nemo

OTR coming for that #1 spot on both:clap3:

39 minutes ago, letscauseascene1 said:

only suckers by singles now tbh

40 minutes ago, letscauseascene1 said:

She’s the most streamed female artist on Apple Music, a paid platform. I think people are rubbing their pennies together pretty hard by constantly streaming her music on AM when streaming gives people access to pretty much everyone’s music. 

HDD : 7 Rings is the 4th best selling song of the year and the 2nd best selling song released in 2019

ATRL :

45 minutes ago, letscauseascene1 said:

It's like, people LOVE her, but not enough to ever rub 2 pennies together and buy her music product.

Shallow and 7 Rings :alexz:streaming AND sales smashes :clap3:

Shallow's power. :jonny:

2 hours ago, Katamari said:

*pretends to be shocked(?)*

wDh0bP5.gif

4 hours ago, Katamari said:

It also ahead on Spotify and YouTube 

Pure sales :eek:amazing Gaga :clap3:.

Reminds me of Adele. When many used the same excuse for their faves on it not being the early 2000's or 80's to sell diamond albums. Yet Adele did prove if you resonate with the GP they buy your work. Pure sales. 

i see no.1 hits and one 1million-seller :fan:

OTR will definitely cross that milestone tho, a fvckin mammoth

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.