Frequently asked questions... Read more... ×

Will Aldi slay in China? "We came for German products &beer"

10 posts in this topic

0de1a788-88e5-11e9-b861-54ee436f9768?fit 

Hundreds of people lined in Shanghai on Friday to enter one of the two Aldi outlets opening in the city. On sale were European wine and beer from the company’s own brands plus more local offerings, such as chicken feet and salted duck eggs.

“We came here for the German products and the cheap beer,” said Zhou Youhua, a retired doctor who was munching on a hot dog while waiting to pay for her basket of muesli, noodles and steamed dumplings filled with German sausage and sauerkraut.

Recommended US retail Blame us, not the economy, say US retail chiefs Aldi is offering new ranges of own-brand vegetables and meat sourced from farms in China but Chinese customers said imports were the main draw. “The prices are reasonable but not incredibly cheap,” said office supplies salesman Chen Yifan. Aldi, which operates 10,000 stores in 11 countries worldwide, recently entered Italy and is expanding in Australia after investing $3.4bn in its US operations. 

https://www.ft.com/content/934a273c-88eb-11e9-a028-86cea8523dc2

The supermarkets were designed by Landini Associates, the same team that also came up with Aldi's new store concept in Australia. They are offering a blend of local and imported products, famous brands and private labels. All in all, there are 1300 references in fifteen product categories. German beer is of course included, and so is French wine in an extensive wine aisle. 

In the prepared meals department, Chinese shoppers will be introduced to a typical German ham roast with sauerkraut and baked potatoes, a spicy crayfish salad in Szechuan style or a remarkable fusion dish such as 'Berliner Bao': a German bratwurst with sauerkraut served in a traditional Chinese steamed sandwich.

Aldi is going for a seamless online-to-offline experience here with a scan & go option on WeChat, eliminating the need for shoppers to wait in line at the checkout. There is also a service that delivers orders straight at home in a three-kilometre radius. The Chinese customers' enthusiastic reception is clear from the video report below.

https://www.retaildetail.eu/en/news/food/long-queues-first-chinese-aldi-stores

I sure hope so, the best grocery store only :clap3: 

Aldi and Lidl are THE best grocery stores around.  I'm so lucky we have both in VA.

Aldi — a legend!

yes, not only an amazing shop but also a great employer :clap3:

Aldi is a great grocery store so I'm happy to hear it being successful

I thought only poor people shop at Aldi or Lidl :skull:

The cereals at Aldi are everything

37 minutes ago, Pure Heroin said:

I thought only poor people shop at Aldi or Lidl :skull:

Aldi is definitely for poor people. Everything is so cheap.

aldi and lidl are so FAB omg!!!