Frequently asked questions... Read more... ×

Did Rude Boy age well?

42 posts in this topic

Yes, still one of her best songs :smitten:

Honestly I don't know. Haven't heard it since like 2011.

Bonus: that time she performed this at the Kids Choice Awards :deadbanana2:

absolutely. she has what WFL and WHYB want.

Yes. It would be a smash if released Summer 2019. Old Town Road would be dethroned and immediately forgotten about. 

1 minute ago, Cheers said:

Yes. It would be a smash if released Summer 2019. Old Town Road would be dethroned and immediately forgotten about. 

We will need her to work w Stargate again for that to occur

f9PCQPA.gif

Not a lot of Rhianna's music sounds fresh outside the year it was released. She's very much into the state-of-the-art style of pop. "Rude Boy" is a rare exception.

I'll always love it. 

Very. It’s a timeless dancehall classic. 

7 minutes ago, liberalmusiclover said:

Very. It’s a timeless dancehall classic. 

Roc Me Out has left the chat

W3lLuxn.gif

12 minutes ago, The7thStranger said:

Not a lot of Rhianna's music sounds fresh outside the year it was released. She's very much into the state-of-the-art style of pop. "Rude Boy" is a rare exception.

Most of her music sounds fresh and timeless because she doesn’t used dated production elements like synthesizers. Timeless classic making LEGEND. :clap3:

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, liberalmusiclover said:

Most of her music sounds fresh and timeless because she doesn’t used dated production elements like synthesizers. Timeless classic making LEGEND. :clap3:

I highly disagree. Fresh is the last word I'd use to describe 80% of Rhianna's music. Doesn't mean it's bad, but a lot of it is supremely dated.

6 minutes ago, The7thStranger said:

I highly disagree. Fresh is the last word I'd use to describe 80% of Rhianna's music. Doesn't mean it's bad, but a lot of it is supremely dated.

*Rihanna

Dated would be someone like Janet Jackson or Madonna’s music, not someone like Rihanna. Songs like Rude Boy, FourFiveSeconds, Love On The Brain, and Umbrella don’t age. 

11 minutes ago, liberalmusiclover said:

jesus... some of y’all are just :rip: 

No it’s definitely one of her most dated songs

it sounds straight out of the Ester Dean era of like 09-11

15 minutes ago, liberalmusiclover said:

*Rihanna

Dated would be someone like Janet Jackson or Madonna’s music, not someone like Rihanna. Songs like Rude Boy, FourFiveSeconds, Love On The Brain, and Umbrella don’t age. 

Was that your attempt to make me look foolish? :lmao:Girl, I have ears. Janet and Madonna have a lot of dated music because they also got bogged down in the state-of-the-art styling of the day. This does not say anything of Rihanna, though. A lot of her music, particularly the singles, have not aged well in terms of their production. I also wouldn't say "Rhythm Nation" or "Like a Virgin" has either in terms of sound.

But since you brought up Janet, do let me know when Rhianna gives us something like The Velvet Rope, which (apart from "Together Again") sounds just as fresh as it did in 1997.

Songs like “Umbrella”, “Stay”, “Diamonds”, “Love on the Brain” and even “We Found Love” despite epitomizing mainstream EDM music all sound more fresh to me than this one. It’s in the same boat as “Don’t Stop the Music”, “Only Girl”, “What’s My Name”, etc. Dated or not, they’re all still major bops and well written pop songs for their time

54 minutes ago, NOW said:

Bonus: that time she performed this at the Kids Choice Awards :deadbanana2:

Wtf :toofunny2:

On Topic: yes, it’s still a bop 

Yes,

I was wondering why i didn't miss Rihanna as much as i should, but then i realised. Every pop song is a Rihanna song nowadays.

Yes actually, it sounds fresh

20 minutes ago, Genie in a Bottle said:

No it’s definitely one of her most dated songs

it sounds straight out of the Ester Dean era of like 09-11

Basically

Still a good song though. The Rihanna fans need to calm down as well, they're jumping on everyone's throats at any chance they get. C Squad teas.

Her dancehall/reggae songs have aged much better than her pop songs. Poor complicated stans