Frequently asked questions... Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Venice under threat

25 posts in this topic

Is mass tourism becoming a really big problem? In the Philippines, they had to close down the most popular tourist spot Boracay due to the pollution of overtourism. In Peru, they started issuing time tickets to control the number of visitors at Machu Picchu and recently, 11 climbers died at Mt. Everest due to the government issuing 380 permits that caused a traffic jam at the death zone. What are thoughts of my fellow travelers here?

Instagram is destroying the world

lmao Venice's entire economy is based on tourism. They aren't closing it down.

I experienced the heaviest rainfall of my life when i wen to Venice and I couldn't see any of it as a result on top of being soaked to my waist, it's what she deserves :cm: 

Lol what a sensationalist report. 

That Venetian guy though :gaycat4:

Most people live in Mestre because the main island simply isn't liveable anymore. The few locals who live there are not very kind to the tourists because the town is just overrun with them. Honestly the island is slowly becoming a museum. 

Venice Bitch’s impact :jonny5:

Posted (edited)

It attracts 20M tourists every year but people forget that Venice is actually a really antiquated small town with only 200k inhabitants. Overtourism is definitely an issue there.

Call me cynical but I don't really believe in over-tourism. Take the tourism out of any city or town and any economical status it holds would drop and people forget tourism in any status is what gives a lot of people jobs.

If you want to have your cake and be able to eat it too, it comes at a price. :michael: If you are making the conscious decision to live and work out of a tourist hot spot you need to expect the sensation of capitalism to be prevalent in your everyday and deal with it. Honestly I think it's a good thing.

It's true, you cannot walk along the main canals from how many people there are. Praying for @Mark Rih who studies there, the crowds in Milan drive me crazy already, I don't want to imagine there!

1 hour ago, KillingYourCareer said:

It's true, you cannot walk along the main canals from how many people there are. Praying for @Mark Rih who studies there, the crowds in Milan drive me crazy already, I don't want to imagine there!

I'm lucky because my uni is only 5 minutes from the train station, and the 'calle' to get there is used by students only :fan: but today I was a bit early so I did a walk in the main street and it was super crowded as usual, if I had to do that street everyday now that would be a mess.

Yeah venice has an overtourism issue… if that makes sense

this is so true, i was there last month and the amount of people is really scary, in some places u cant even walk. 

Posted (edited)

Boo hoo, go swim somewhere else then! If this were Venice, California perhaps some points could be made, but it's not. The bible says God is quick to flood a bitch ungrateful of His blessings so it makes sense that they are sinking. Praying for them! :heart2: 

7 hours ago, Oceania said:

It attracts 20M tourists every year but people forget that Venice is actually a really antiquated small town with only 200k inhabitants. Overtourism is definitely an issue there.

and i’m sure it’s ruined a lot of the authenticity of Venice ... the amount of sh!tty tourist trap restaurants that probably occupy that city in place of real italian food / other local shops is prolly horrid

Sometimes, countries have to do what they have to do to preserve their attractions/natural life. For instance, I'm going to Thailand next month and I was so excited to visit Maya Bay in Phi Phi Islands, the place that The Beach(with Leo DiCaprio) was shot, but the Thai Government had to shut the place down and it's prohibited to enter the Bay as the huge amount of tourists destroyed the ecosystem there. So they had to close it for a few years. It sucks, but it's completely reasonable that they'd do that. 

I mean the city has a certain room capacity to host tourists and also I wen there last month and while it was very crowded, it was only on the main bridges and St Mark Square, I was wandering around in the Cannaregio and Giudecca zones and it was almost empty, only locals.

1 hour ago, Dark Phoenix said:

I mean the city has a certain room capacity to host tourists and also I wen there last month and while it was very crowded, it was only on the main bridges and St Mark Square, I was wandering around in the Cannaregio and Giudecca zones and it was almost empty, only locals.

the tourists that stay in venice are probably less of an issue than the tourists that flock there on those huge and ugly cruise ships and go there for a day, you see that once you go out in venice after 8pm when people start going home again things empty out really fast. 

Cannaregio and Giudecca are so lovely and i love the areas with stores, cafés and restaurants that locals actually use.

they should have an entrance fee for crossing the bridge from mestre and the cruise ships need to stop.

venice is still going to be fine with enough tourists but it would be a first step against the awful mass-tourism of the few over-crowded places aka san marco and the main canal.

also OP is kinda sensationalist this issue has been going on for some time now and isn't new. I'm glad everytime i hear about residents of Palma (Mallorca) and Venice demanding steps to work against mass-tourism.

maybe if they filled in some of the canals with concrete there'd be more space for ppl to walk. just a thought.

stream venice bitch then fatties if you want to see ur city afloat 

19 hours ago, Jack! said:

Call me cynical but I don't really believe in over-tourism. Take the tourism out of any city or town and any economical status it holds would drop and people forget tourism in any status is what gives a lot of people jobs.

If you want to have your cake and be able to eat it too, it comes at a price. :michael: If you are making the conscious decision to live and work out of a tourist hot spot you need to expect the sensation of capitalism to be prevalent in your everyday and deal with it. Honestly I think it's a good thing.

The problem is that mass tourism brings money only to a certain people within venice. People outside venice seem to think that Venetians should be thankful for the money influx entailed by tourists but this money is only benefiting some people. The locals have to pay larger taxes and rent to continue their lives. This is also happening in Amsterdam. Locals are moving bacause rent is getting higher. No one is saying ban tourism. Venetians want control on visitors. Take note that Venice is a small city with a population of 50,000 recieving more than 60,000 visitors per day.

13 hours ago, cypriotpcdfan said:

Sometimes, countries have to do what they have to do to preserve their attractions/natural life. For instance, I'm going to Thailand next month and I was so excited to visit Maya Bay in Phi Phi Islands, the place that The Beach(with Leo DiCaprio) was shot, but the Thai Government had to shut the place down and it's prohibited to enter the Bay as the huge amount of tourists destroyed the ecosystem there. So they had to close it for a few years. It sucks, but it's completely reasonable that they'd do that. 

I agree. There is nothing wrong with looking after your environment and no one is suggesting a total tourism ban. That is just impossible but government should impose strict rules and policy to control visitors.

I was there this April and it wasn't too crowded but I imagine it would be a nightmare to walk around the city during summer. Such a gorgeous city :heart2:

On 6/12/2019 at 3:43 AM, Body Electrician said:

Venice Bitch’s impact :jonny5:

:ahh:

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0